The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont think he was murder. I also don't think he is as natural at RB as in midfield.

Against the lesser sides in out league, I think the need to have Yeats in midfield certainly outstrips the need to NOT play Williamson. I can understand why McGlynn might not wish to allow better teams to overload behind Williamson if he's caught up the park and rely on Donaldson to cover, but the reality is if we don't get Yeats in beside McGinn, and get Hetherington to f**k, there's a lack of drive there.

We were better against Montrose than we were against Airdrie, albeit the first half had clearer chances against Airdrie, but ultimately having swung back and forth on the Yeats to RB thing, I'm increasingly reaching the "live with Williamson, because the midfield needs Yeats more" camp.

One of the reasons that I think we'd be better trying a back 3. We need to play Williamson (although I think it would be worth trying someone like Ross out there) because we need Yeats in midfield and it means that Williamson should have a little less defending to do. Also, Mackie is better at left CB than LB and, although, for some reason he doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea, it would get McCann on the park.

I'd definitely go on Saturday:

PJ

Donaldson, McKay, Mackie

Williamson, Yeats, Lawal, McGinn, McCann

Oliver, Burrell

No Hetherington, no Nesbitt, no McGuffie and no Morrison. All 4 probably better coming off the bench anyway.

As it stands McKay may not be available meaning we'd need to play a back 4 anyway of course.

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

One of the reasons that I think we'd be better trying a back 3. We need to play Williamson (although I think it would be worth trying someone like Ross out there) because we need Yeats in midfield and it means that Williamson should have a little less defending to do. Also, Mackie is better at left CB than LB and, although, for some reason he doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea, it would get McCann on the park.

I'd definitely go on Saturday:

PJ

Donaldson, McKay, Mackie

Williamson, Yeats, Lawal, McGinn, McCann

Oliver, Burrell

No Hetherington, no Nesbitt, no McGuffie and no Morrison. All 4 probably better coming off the bench anyway.

As it stands McKay may not be available meaning we'd need to play a back 4 anyway of course.

How far away is Henderson?

20 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I had kind of hoped John would've changed tact a bit this season and gone heavily after more good league one players like savoury, brown,ballantyne and perhaps some of the Airdrie players etc and persuaded them Falkirk was the place to be. We seem to have again gone down the route of signing players from higher leagues which so far hasn't been very successful. 

We were in for Savoury, QP offered much more money. Source: One of my kids knows his cousin.

In addition we were also in for Easton and McCabe: Source: My nephew knows Easton.  Was close with Easton until Murray moved to Raith. It was also mentioned on the Falkirk Daft podcast.

18 minutes ago, champions said:

We were in for Savoury, QP offered much more money. Source: One of my kids knows his cousin.

In addition we were also in for Easton and McCabe: Source: My nephew knows Easton.  Was close with Easton until Murray moved to Raith. It was also mentioned on the Falkirk Daft podcast.

Thing is we never got any of those kind of players.  Ballantyne should've been a no brainer for us really. One of mcglynns best  assets at Raith was him being able to persuade the likes of Henry that Raith was the place to be despite them having less cash to offer than other clubs. 

I think Morrison offers more of a threat than Nesbitt or McGuffie although he needs serious work on his finishing. 

Ideally we'll bring in another loan (someone like Henderson would be ideal) but with the increasing squad size its becoming unlikely. 

I hoped we'd have been able to shift a few of the deadwood (Ross, Wilson, Sneddon at least) by convincing them the'll never play.   Still time but not much.  Looks like sending Alegria back to Rangers might not be a bad idea either...

9 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I think Morrison offers more of a threat than Nesbitt or McGuffie although he needs serious work on his finishing. 

Ideally we'll bring in another loan (someone like Henderson would be ideal) but with the increasing squad size its becoming unlikely. 

I hoped we'd have been able to shift a few of the deadwood (Ross, Wilson, Sneddon at least) by convincing them the'll never play.   Still time but not much.  Looks like sending Alegria back to Rangers might not be a bad idea either...

Can only presume Alegria is costing us hee haw and rangers are just desperate for anyone to take him.

2 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

I don’t think we were under any illusions that too many of last years dross were still going to be hanging around this year. The big disappointment for me is that 6 of them have featured so heavily. These guys should be spending their Saturday afternoon in Tesco not wearing our shirt. We need a few back from injury but I think we still need to find another couple of loans one way or another.

Oh I think there were a good few that thought McGlynn would get the lion’s share of them gone without too much difficulty. You look at Telfer stalling over a contract at Airdrie. Chance to go to a much better team not the clincher for him….it’s cash, and getting what he was getting with us that is the issue, and Airdrie won’t stump up.

5 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Oh I think there were a good few that thought McGlynn would get the lion’s share of them gone without too much difficulty. You look at Telfer stalling over a contract at Airdrie. Chance to go to a much better team not the clincher for him….it’s cash, and getting what he was getting with us that is the issue, and Airdrie won’t stump up.

And rightly so, he's been told "sign or piss off" 

Personally I'm now not that fussed about us signing him. As you guys have said he was pretty gutless and had no fight. 

Our midfield on Saturday outfought your midfield pretty unequivocally so whilst he would bring experience I'm not sure he would bring the hunger and desire we have at present. 

14 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Unless someone comes in for them which is highly unlikely the only option is for Falkirk to buy out their contracts, would you leave your job for a drop in wages or possibly no job at all without severance / redundancy pay

13 minutes ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Unless someone comes in for them which is highly unlikely the only option is for Falkirk to buy out their contracts, would you leave your job for a drop in wages or possibly no job at all without severance / redundancy pay

This is the bottom line. If they can’t find other clubs there is no way they are just going to walk away unless we buy out their contracts. Unfortunately I can’t see a queue of clubs wanted many of our duds.

6 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

This is the bottom line. If they can’t find other clubs there is no way they are just going to walk away unless we buy out their contracts. Unfortunately I can’t see a queue of clubs wanted many of our duds.

I would have been happy with us signing Nesbitt before last season. He always 'seemed' like he was decent. 

Now he seems utter dugmeat, also, Hetherington is possibly one of the softest midfielders I've seen. 

13 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I would have been happy with us signing Nesbitt before last season. He always 'seemed' like he was decent. 

Now he seems utter dugmeat, also, Hetherington is possibly one of the softest midfielders I've seen. 

A team containing Hetherington, Nisbett, Morrison and McGuffie is never really going to outfight any side in league one. They don’t have a battler amongst them.

Just now, GeordieBairn said:

Think Hetherington has got it a bit light on here tbh, he was the worst player on the park on Saturday. Never seen a game pass someone by like that since…. Hetherington every game last season

He is one of the softest centre mids we have had, he has zero skill and his passing is woeful.

Back in the day BoB and McBride would get slated but at least they did put in a decent performance now and again, I've yet to see one from Hetherington.

I'm hoping him and Nesbitt are out the 11 for Saturday, tho the worry would be if McGinn was carrying a knock v Airdrie as I couldn't work that sub out albeit McGinn was quiet, Hetherington was quieter.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Can only presume Alegria is costing us hee haw and rangers are just desperate for anyone to take him.

Which given fans opinions that saw him last year all basically saying he's dugmeat might be the case. Might be last chance saloon for him before they cut their losses. It's just a pity we might feature heavily in a you tube video come the end of the season showing his complete lack of footballing ability. 

49 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

FFS please don’t use the word decent, 77 players in three seasons and we’ve maybe had three or four “decent” players.