The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

If the new board hadn’t backed the manager with cash in the last January window and made the effort at promotion there would have been absolute uproar. The comment BPM makes is totally fair, we were only a few points off the play off places! Look what QP done who weren’t much better than us and finished 4th…..Apart from anything else we had to give the new manager cash if only to prevent us getting drawn into relegation bother things were that bad! 

I don't agree with this. I dont know a single fan that thought we could go up last year in Dec/Jan. If we were going to have a go in Jan why did we appoint the utter loser nonentity Rennie? A move many fans said at the time was lunacy 

Backing him with cash was even more insane. The priority in Jan was avoiding relegation and getting rid of shite until we had a real football manager not a clueless Powerpointer.

It was a dreadful window and we're paying the price now that we have a good manager and can't spend enough on removing the shit.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

26 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I seem to remember a photo op with one of the Goldies on a digger breaking the ground as the building work got underway.

Aye, they thought they were groundbreaking on Celtic’s new academy and feeder club.

2 hours ago, AdamAnt said:

It’s exactly what you’re saying! One lot are getting grief for spunking money on shite and new lot are  somehow deserving of praise for doing the exact same thing. You’re even doing it in that post, justifying blowing tens of thousands of pounds on a player who lost interest in football about 3 years ago just because for some reason you feel the need to defend every decision the new guys make. 

Wonder who this is - a new account made especially to criticise the current board? No agenda here I guess. /s

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Been through this a few times the council screwed the club big time weel seeing it was a Labour Council who have never had goodwill towards the club ( too many old firm supporters for my liking Goldie for example )

Imagine owning seats but not the stands they sit on compounded by owning the pitch but not the ground it occupies.

In other words our share of the stadium is worthless and therefore cannot be used as collateral for any loans.

Was against it from the start and as hard as it would have been should have redeveloped Brockville bit by bit.

How much would it cost to buy out the council share and their ownership of the surrounding land for example the car park?

Take out a loan on say a 40 year mortgage. 

I blame Superfan a lot more than I blame the council.

I think I'm still in the minority who thought Griffiths was worth the punt. We were just outside the play-off places and even with a bit of a pot belly, I think most of us thought that dropping from the top league to League One would have seen him score more than the two he ended up putting away. It was a gamble - it didn't pay off. They didn't keep him on and made the correct decision binning Rennie too. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

15 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I don't agree with this. I dont know a single fan that thought we could go up last year in Dec/Jan. If we were going to have a go in Jan why did we appoint the utter loser nonentity Rennie? A move many fans said at the time was lunacy 

Backing him with cash was even more insane. The priority in Jan was avoiding relegation and getting rid of shite. 

It was a dreadful window and we're paying the price now that we have a good manager and can't spend enough on removing the shit.

The thing is I'm not sure moving on one or two would make much difference when it comes to budget. 4 or 5 perhaps might loosen up some more cash but I can't see that happening before the end of the window. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The thing is I'm not sure moving on one or two would make much difference when it comes to budget. 4 or 5 perhaps might loosen up some more cash but I can't see that happening.

You not using your Jackie Myles or ShadwellDog account anymore? Just the 3 accounts you use or is there more? 

36 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Think he got too big for his boots getting such a big move so young? 

I think he was way overhyped when he first came into the team with us. As a young full-back if you are quick, energetic and willing to do a couple of slide tackles down the touchline twice a game fans will take to you quickly and you can look a really exciting prospect. However pretty soon teams start to work you out and weaknesses get exposed.

That's pretty much what I thought happened when he was with us. He was effective early on with his energy up and down the line, but he doesn't really have any technical attributes to speak of which started to become apparent, as were his defensive weaknesses. Towards the end of his time with us I thought his performances were already declining and I wasn't fussed in the slightest when Falkirk signed him.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Someone earlier mentioned we've had the biggest budget in the league (or at least one of them) almost every year in League 1.  

Every year we've wasted that advantage.  This season recruitment started well but we're now frantically hoping Burrell, Lawal and Kennedy exceed expectation otherwise our season could be over before its begun.  Other teams supporters have already told us not to expect much from Kennedy.  Who will take the blame if they don't make an impact?  2 of them are inexperienced and all are massive gambles. 

Kennedy & Henderson are crocked, Donaldson, McGinn, Yeats and Mackie look decent enough and jury out on PJ Morrison.  Oliver and Alegria look like poor signings.  The 3 who haven't really played take McGlynns signings to 12.   No manager would get them all right but from an experienced manager you'd be looking for at least 9 or 10 out of 12 to be consistent starters.  We shouldn't need to be playing all the sh*te from last season with 12 new faces in once all fit as long as the new guys are better.  

Its frustrating watching guys like Mochrie score for the Fifers on Saturday while we're left to hope that untried, untested young guys will rescue our season in the first week of August. 

I don't blame anyone for believing in McGlynn (god knows we need to hope!) but personally I'm not convinced he's as good as we'd like to believe.  Hope I'm wrong.  

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think he was way overhyped when he first came into the team with us. As a young full-back if you are quick, energetic and willing to do a couple of slide tackles down the touchline twice a game fans will take to you quickly and you can look a really exciting prospect. However pretty soon teams start to work you out and weaknesses get exposed.

That's pretty much what I thought happened when he was with us. He was effective early on with his energy up and down the line, but he doesn't really have any technical attributes to speak of which started to become apparent, as were his defensive weaknesses. Towards the end of his time with us I thought his performances were already declining and I wasn't fussed in the slightest when Falkirk signed him.

I like him a bit more than you but considering we haven’t really had a disastrous left back over the last few years, I wonder how much playing beside Callum Fordyce helped McCann. Fordyce has probably been the steadiest defender in the league since he joined, it must be a lot easier to stand out with the attributes you’ve mentioned above in an organised team with him to your right rather than Falkirk’s rotating cast of charlatans.

5 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Someone earlier mentioned we've had the biggest budget in the league (or at least one of them) almost every year in League 1.  

Every year we've wasted that advantage.  This season recruitment started well but we're now frantically hoping Burrell, Lawal and Kennedy exceed expectation otherwise our season could be over before its begun.  Other teams supporters have already told us not to expect much from Kennedy.  Who will take the blame if they don't make an impact?  2 of them are inexperienced and all are massive gambles. 

Kennedy & Henderson are crocked, Donaldson, McGinn, Yeats and Mackie look decent enough and jury out on PJ Morrison.  Oliver and Alegria look like poor signings.  The 3 who haven't really played take McGlynns signings to 12.   No manager would get them all right but from an experienced manager you'd be looking for at least 9 or 10 out of 12 to be consistent starters.  We shouldn't need to be playing all the sh*te from last season with 12 new faces in once all fit as long as the new guys are better.  

Its frustrating watching guys like Mochrie score for the Fifers on Saturday while we're left to hope that untried, untested young guys will rescue our season in the first week of August. 

I don't blame anyone for believing in McGlynn (god knows we need to hope!) but personally I'm not convinced he's as good as we'd like to believe.  Hope I'm wrong.  

Recruitment looks slightly better in that not all of our signings are shit but we're still missing out on players that should've been getting picked up . Ballantyne for a start. Feck me we should know all about him and yet he signs for a league one club with a smaller budget than we have.  The best youngsters seem to always end up elsewhere like the Jameson's and mochries and every other side in the league seems to have a player that can stick the ball in the net save us despite us again having a sizeable budget.  Have we ever put in bids for any of the strikers in this league and offered them a decent wage rise to come to us or are we just hoping to get lucky on a loan deal or unknown from down south as it would seem. It's frustrating that we are constantly getting outdone in the recruitment department by the likes of Airdrie and Montrose.

19 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I like him a bit more than you but considering we haven’t really had a disastrous left back over the last few years, I wonder how much playing beside Callum Fordyce helped McCann. Fordyce has probably been the steadiest defender in the league since he joined, it must be a lot easier to stand out with the attributes you’ve mentioned above in an organised team with him to your right rather than Falkirk’s rotating cast of charlatans.

I definitely think that will have helped him. I'm not saying he's terrible or anything but as I say I thought he was hyped well beyond his actual ability which resulted in Falkirk giving him such a long contract. His confidence must have been high at the start with us and has been slowly crushed at Falkirk, I remember the game last year at New Broomfield where we won (3-2 I think) and he was dreadful and was clearly affected by the crowd. In a solid side I think he'd be okay at a club at this level, but if I was trying to turn this Falkirk squad around and make them challengers I can't say I'd be looking to keep him.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Wonder who this is - a new account made especially to criticise the current board? No agenda here I guess. /s

I think there are plenty of agendas going on on both sides, to be honest. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

4 hours ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Wonder who this is - a new-ish account who joined in January to praise the current board? No agenda here, I guess.

4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

The thing is I'm not sure moving on one or two would make much difference when it comes to budget. 4 or 5 perhaps might loosen up some more cash but I can't see that happening before the end of the window. 

4 hours ago, AdamAnt said:

You not using your Jackie Myles or ShadwellDog account anymore? Just the 3 accounts you use or is there more? 

Just ignore him Shadwell, it's great to see you back posting.

3 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I think there are plenty of agendas going on on both sides, to be honest. 

And maybe, just maybe, there are some posters like myself who are equal opportunities posters who have posted in criticism of both the old board and the new board?

Although both appointments ultimately proved to be wrong, I praised the current board for appointing Rennie and signing Griffiths.

If they screw up in the future, I reserve the right to criticise them. Nobody is above criticism.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

6 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I wouldn’t say the jury is out on PJ, I think he’s been very decent since returning and looks much improved since his last spell. 

I’d also argue Oliver hasn’t been poor, in fact far from it. His hold up play has been very tidy so far, we just need to actually partner him with someone who’ll get in behind. 

I wouldn’t say the jury is out on PJ, I think he’s been very decent since returning and looks much improved since his last spell. 
I’d also argue Oliver hasn’t been poor, in fact far from it. His hold up play has been very tidy so far, we just need to actually partner him with someone who’ll get in behind. 
Have to agree on PJ. Was gutted on Sat when he had to go off.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Have to agree on PJ. Was gutted on Sat when he had to go off.

Reading through this thread I don't think there's one player who hasn't been slated from Saturday when in reality there was maybe only 4 who had really poor games.