The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Would we have had to close the academy if we weren’t blowing so much on using the stadium every year though? Other clubs with similar facilities to us are generating income on non-match days and would appear to have much more agreeable costs. 

As for having bigger playing budgets - have we not blown over £800k over the last couple of years?

How much money do you think we are “blowing” on the stadium? Whatever it is it’s certainly no where near the amount of cash that would fund an academy, we have always been able to fund a certain level of academy the reason it was closed to was to peruse this so called “Brentford model” another poor decision by the previous regime!  The only thing the club are charged for by the council is use of the hospitality facilities in the main stand. Everything else we either own outright or have free access to, the set up could be better but it could also be a lot worse……..and yes your right, we have blown a lot of money on the playing budget the last few years, a lot more than most of our rivals, the problem is we spent it on shite! That’s kinda my point! 

22 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Seen stranger positional changes over the years and suddenly it's like a new player being signed.

For all his faults he tries and seems a decent fitness.

Aye, I'd be interested to know how many full games Ross has played for us, can't be very many? When you consider the likes of Nesbitt and Hetherington are getting picked every week it's surely not too much of an ask to give the guy a chance.

BPM says that to play wing-back you need someone that can get up and down the flank all day, which I agree with however, Williamson can't do that. His efforts at getting back when the ball is lost are not good.

22 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Signing Griffiths specifically is irrelevant, the BOD should not be dictating to the manager who he spends his playing budget on. 

I agree in normal circumstances but Griffiths was paid a far higher wage than we’d normally offer- probably the highest since we were in the premier league.

I’d be absolutely astonished if the board did not approve making those resources available.

21 minutes ago, AdamAnt said:

It’s exactly what you’re saying! One lot are getting grief for spunking money on shite and new lot are  somehow deserving of praise for doing the exact same thing. You’re even doing it in that post, justifying blowing tens of thousands of pounds on a player who lost interest in football about 3 years ago just because for some reason you feel the need to defend every decision the new guys make. 

Eh no. Rennie was a mistake, agreed with it at the time, but it failed and was a mistake. The Board did however have the good sense to only give him 6 months.
If your £1500 as week is right. 16 x that is 24k. It is hardly tens of thousands. 
The last lot committed us to an awful lot more of which a good chunk of it is holding us back. 

37 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

we have always been able to fund a certain level of academy the reason it was closed to was to peruse this so called “Brentford model” 

It shouldn't have been that expensive to go and have a good look at what Brentford were doing.

10 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst aware that Telfer seemed to split Falkirk fans but looking at McGinn, Nesbitt & Hetherington yesterday, surely he's better than them?

McGinn has been really good so far, Nesbit and Heatherington I’d put on par with Telfer. None of the three are good enough and need to be punted, thankfully we were able to get shot of Telfer but unfortunately are still stuck with the other two! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Different player to McGinn. Telfer was hugely inconsistent, and had no physical presence whatsoever. He wasn’t interested in defending, and wasn’t a leader on the park. He could score against Dumbarton though.

I think we have had more than our share of wee ball player types. We need guys to play in a structured way, and play their part in a team ethic.

McGinn is a leader……possibly one of only a couple that we have.

For me, we have to get over this thing about constantly signing diminutive run of the mill players who are signed because they can do a Cruyff turn every now and then, but who check out the minute the opposition have the ball.

2 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

McGinn has been really good so far, Nesbit and Heatherington I’d put on par with Telfer. None of the three are good enough and need to be punted, thankfully we were able to get shot of Telfer but unfortunately are still stuck with the other two! 

Not for me- Telfer contributed more than Nesbitt and Hetherington combined.

I was all for replacing him with someone more consistent but getting rid of him is becoming more baffling by the week as Nesbitt and co continue to start and stink the place out.

14 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Not for me- Telfer contributed more than Nesbitt and Hetherington combined.

I was all for replacing him with someone more consistent but getting rid of him is becoming more baffling by the week as Nesbitt and co continue to start and stink the place out.

I've yet to witness Hetherington have a good game, yep just good.

Nesbitt had good games nearly over a year ago now, hasn't kicked a ball since last October 

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

McCann is not dross. The rest I'll give you.

Obviously depending on whether PJ or McKay are available, nest week I'd go:

PJ

Donaldson, McKay, Mackie

Ross, Yeats, McGinn, McCann

Lawal

Oliver, Burrell

It may or may not be true but I was told a while back that McCann was a bit of a bad apple in the dressing room and was earmarked to get shipped out, hence he was on that list.

4 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

They are starting games because they are taking the wages that would be used on replacements.

Unless new investment miraculously appears we are lumbered with Morrison, Nesbit, ,Wilson, Ross, Heatherington, Williamson, McCann and McGuffie.

Huge amount of money being wasted on dross.

We've signed 11 or 12 players though. So should we really still need to play all 4 of them.