The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

Get Nesbitt so far to f**k and cut that f**king bun off his hair, loses possession too many times and sh*t out a few tackles, Morrison trying to walk the ball into the net instead of seeking out the pass, Alegria still young and needs a bit confidence but not physical enough., though he had a couple of chances. Losing McKay was a blow and putting us down to 10 men.

Think Burrell and Lawal looked decent enough and  are def worth the start next week can't do any worse. Push Yeats back into midfield and as much as options are limited for RB he is more effective as a midfielder

I can't see McGuffie going and McGlynn has worked with him before so might still get something out of him

I think out of the three McGuffie gives more than Nesbitt and Morrison but it’s slim pickings to be honest.

Just now, Harry Kinnear said:

I think out of the three McGuffie gives more than Nesbitt and Morrison but it’s slim pickings to be honest.

I’d generally agree with you Harry but were so many instances yesterday where McGuffie shat out of tackles or kept turning into trouble whenever he got the ball. None of them are good enough.

2 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I’d generally agree with you Harry but were so many instances yesterday where McGuffie shat out of tackles or kept turning into trouble whenever he got the ball. None of them are good enough.

I agree none of them are good enough and in an ideal contract free world they would all be gone.

1 hour ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Nobody wanted to see that result yesterday, and i’m not in the heads gone camp, like many these last 15 hours.

The second goal, came from a bit of play from a corner kick that was wrongly awarded.

Nisbet McGuffie  and  Hetherington lost their battles and continually couldn’t get the ball away from under their feet, hence losing possession, actually the park looked dummy and a nightmare to play on.

The two new guys that came on showed enough to indicate they have a bit of skill, and I’m sure we’ll get a win next week

There is no “heads gone” camp. People were rightly angry at what they had just witnessed, and a them having a rant was near enough inevitable after that performance.

It’s a complete irrelevance if the corner kick was correctly awarded or not. The defending of it was back to our keystone cops approach of last season.

Nesbitt & McGuffie do not “battle”. Their lack of desire to really compete in the middle of the park has been a huge issue for a year now. At the end of last season, most would have been chuffed to see the back of them along with Hetherington, Williamson and McKay.

Albeit cameos for one or two, all five are still at the club, and all five played a part in that shambolic mess yesterday. As someone says regularly, “it’s the hope that kills you”. We saw how McGlynn was getting a performance out of McKay, and we hoped (and maybe even felt) that he was doing the same thing to the other four. Sadly not. The other four made life impossible for their team mates in just the same way as they did last season.

Set aside McKay for a moment, and those other four seem to be the catalyst for our most horrific performances last season, and now this. Yesterday will have done two things for them……..their new team mates now know they are not the guys they want beside them in the trenches, and M&S now know it too.

18 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think most people are chilled tbh mate just people are pissed off. We’ve been in this division for a while now and it’s fair to say we’ve regressed each season.

People have different views on yesterdays game but I’m old fashioned and 4-0 is, and always will be, a total pumping to me.

Which everyone is quite rightly allowed to pissed off it. On the face of it 4-0 to anyone who wasn’t at the game is a total pumping but we need to pick the bones of it. 

At not point in that game, until maybe the last 5 minutes, did I think we’d lose by that margin or be pumped. It just wasn’t that type of game. Anyone who sees we lost 4-0 would think we were under the cosh from minute 1 to minute 90 and it simply wasn’t the case. That’s why I made the earlier comment “it was never a 4-0 game”. A 4-0 score line yes but never a 4-0 game as it completely flattered Airdrie.

The full situation is made worse because of what happened last year, rightly so. But at no point was that ever like the Queen’s Park game. Sitting at Firhill it was like Queen’s Park would score with every single attack and dominated from the first minute. That’s not what happened yesterday. Luck was shining more on Airdrie yesterday with the two fortuitous goals. 

My biggest annoyance would be at the chances we wasted again with Morrison in particular being the biggest culprit. 

Guest Ecosse83
23 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Get Nesbitt so far to f**k and cut that f**king bun off his hair, loses possession too many times and sh*t out a few tackles, Morrison trying to walk the ball into the net instead of seeking out the pass, Alegria still young and needs a bit confidence but not physical enough., though he had a couple of chances. Losing McKay was a blow and putting us down to 10 men.

Think Burrell and Lawal looked decent enough and  are def worth the start next week can't do any worse. Push Yeats back into midfield and as much as options are limited for RB he is more effective as a midfielder

I can't see McGuffie going and McGlynn has worked with him before so might still get something out of him

Agree with Yates comment. His inability to pass the halfway line yesterday stopped any decent attacks on the right. Didn’t make any mistakes defensively but does need to get further up of playing right back! Definitely better in the middle of the park 

Edited by Ecosse83

It was said in last weeks programme notes by Jamie Swinney that they hoped to add another 2-3 players by the end of the transfer window. Two subsequently signed after that article in Burrell and Lawal. Lets speculate that the third signing could be a rightback to replace / compete with Williamson, given that he was dropped in favour of Yeats yesterday. 

Which leaves us with four midfielders in Hetherington, McGuffie, Morrison and Nesbitt that many want dropped. 

Who do you replace them with? Based on my speculation in the first paragraph, we probably won't sign another midfielder. So you then have possible midfield cover of Henderson, Kennedy, Malcolm & Ross, all of whom are injured atm.  

Yeats is an obvious candidate to return and based on what I saw yesterday I think Lawal has something to offer, But you're still going to have two out of the original four starting every week. 

The only other possibility I can think of is playing two up top, say Alegria & Burrell, with three in midfield of Yeats / McGinn / Lawal. Then five across the back with two attacking wingbacks in McCann & Williamson. (or a new RB). But I don't think we have enough fit central defenders to do that unless MacKay is able to return alongside Mackie & Donaldson. 

Unfortunately I don't think it's as simple as just saying "drop all four" from yesterdays midfield.  

We are really fucked though. I totally get and agree with the desire to never have Nesbitt, Morrison etc near a starting 11 but we're a long way from being sure the alternatives are better.

There is a danger the guys not playing become immediately better just by not contributing to this shambles but I'm not sure changing our XI within this squad will make f**k all of a difference.

Maybe Kennedy, Lawal and Burrell would do better in the final third  but the jury's out.

I thought Airdrie looked extremely average in the 3-0 win we had against them 2 weeks ago. Bold as you like fired Falkirk right on the coupon thinking not a problem and aye they fucked it.

How have you managed this? 😂

I had so much faith in McGlynn too 

20 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Which everyone is quite rightly allowed to pissed off it. On the face of it 4-0 to anyone who wasn’t at the game is a total pumping but we need to pick the bones of it. 

At not point in that game, until maybe the last 5 minutes, did I think we’d lose by that margin or be pumped. It just wasn’t that type of game. Anyone who sees we lost 4-0 would think we were under the cosh from minute 1 to minute 90 and it simply wasn’t the case. That’s why I made the earlier comment “it was never a 4-0 game”. A 4-0 score line yes but never a 4-0 game as it completely flattered Airdrie.

The full situation is made worse because of what happened last year, rightly so. But at no point was that ever like the Queen’s Park game. Sitting at Firhill it was like Queen’s Park would score with every single attack and dominated from the first minute. That’s not what happened yesterday. Luck was shining more on Airdrie yesterday with the two fortuitous goals. 

My biggest annoyance would be at the chances we wasted again with Morrison in particular being the biggest culprit. 

Plenty of people have been at pains to point out that the first half was pretty even. Anyone reading this who wasn’t at the game will not find anything to support a sense that it was one way traffic for 90 minutes.

However………the minute Airdrie got the opener, the usual suspects went straight into loser mode, and stopped competing.

At the end of the day, the 4-0 was a bigger margin than any of the drubbings from Airdrie last season…….despite us competing for 40 minutes or so this time……..and one other thing…….be careful of getting comfort from the “not conceded a goal in open play” stat.

We have seen that the LC still isn’t a barometer of how good or bad a side you have. League business is where that is sorted out, and that gives us the Montrose game. They didn’t score yesterday against the side currently sitting bottom. Like us, they haven’t scored a goal this season.

Yesterday was maybe a wake up call we’d be better off heeding rather than trying to explain away as being undeserved and not really a cause for concern.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

Yesterday was the first time we have conceded first in a competitive game and there was a complete lack of resilience throughout the team, in particular Morrison, Nesbitt, McGuffie and Hetherington. Have any of them ever taken a game by the scruff of the neck, when the chips are down? Weak mentality.

Don’t think it was helped that McGinn and Donaldson didn’t look fit, arguably the most crucial part of the team.

Said it all that one of the biggest noises of the game was the fans cheering Yeats crunching someone.

30 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I’m sorry but I disagree mate. When I played football, I hated getting thrashed and took very few positives from it - I’m the same as a supporter. 

I’d rather scrape wins through what I perceive as playing badly than lose 4-0 to what you perceive as a performance with a number of positives or sliding doors moments.

Were Airdrie lucky last season when they finished nearly 30 points ahead of us ? Were they ping, they were just much better than us.

17 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Unfortunately I don't think it's as simple as just saying "drop all four" from yesterdays midfield.  

Last season’s sixth place finish could turn out to be a high point if those four are allowed to continue in midfield.

If we have any intention of doing anything this season, they have to be moved on and replaced with better quality.

Who will take them I don’t know but previous managers have managed to offload poor players over the last few years (although they then replaced them with even worse in many cases).

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m sorry but I disagree mate. When I played football, I hated getting thrashed and took very few positives from it - I’m the same as a supporter. 

I’d rather scrape wins through what I perceive as playing badly than lose 4-0 to what you perceive as a performance with a number of positives or sliding doors moments.

Were Airdrie lucky last season when they finished nearly 30 points ahead of us ? Were they ping, they were just much better than us.

I never said there was positives, apart from creating chances in the first half which we did and I also never said Airdrie were lucky last season- in fact I’m sure i said they were the best footballing side in the division IMO but yesterday they did get some amount of luck and fair play to them punishing us.

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Who will take them I don’t know but previous managers have managed to offload poor players over the last few years (although they then replaced them with even worse in many cases).

Offloading poor players can be done by any manager, as long as he has one thing. Money. Or at least enough of it. I have no idea if we have but I'd guess not. 

Thought Years did ok yesterday as not a natural right back, I think that he was concentrating on the defensive side and wary not getting caught to far forward.

Think also that should be a last chance for some of last season's imposters.

47 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Offloading poor players can be done by any manager, as long as he has one thing. Money. Or at least enough of it. I have no idea if we have but I'd guess not. 

This is it, unless we can find a club prepared to take them McGlynn isn’t going to waste what’s left of his playing budget paying up a players contracts leaving nothing in the pot for a replacement. We are already operating with a large squad and potentially the highest playing budget in the league, there will be next no no wiggle room now. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

We were told by the club at the time that many of the previous clear outs were in fact cash neutral as other clubs agreed to take contracted players and their wages were then used to bring in others.

I have no idea to what extent Mcglynn has tried to move on some of those under contract. But to have only managed to get rid of our third choice goalkeeper from last season is not good enough and explains why we’re struggling.

9 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I never said there was positives, apart from creating chances in the first half which we did and I also never said Airdrie were lucky last season- in fact I’m sure i said they were the best footballing side in the division IMO but yesterday they did get some amount of luck and fair play to them punishing us.

Didn't see any" luck" in the goals - just poor defending.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

We were told by the club at the time that many of the previous clear outs were in fact cash neutral as other clubs agreed to take contracted players and their wages were then used to bring in others.

I have no idea to what extent Mcglynn has tried to move on some of those under contract. But to have only managed to get rid of our third choice goalkeeper from last season is not good enough and explains why we’re struggling.

If you were the manager of another club would you want to sign a Heatherington or a Nisbet?