The Falkirk FC Thread

Whilst I don’t know the man personally I suspect that McGlyn learned more from yesterday than he’s ever going to share publicly & would not be surprised to see some wheeling & dealing over next few weeks 

Also given I was one of his biggest critics shout out & best wishes to Big Brad on what looked a bad injury yesterday- FWIW thought he was one of our better performers on the day 

Nobody wanted to see that result yesterday, and i’m not in the heads gone camp, like many these last 15 hours.

There was nothing between the sides in the first half, but for a couple of deflections we could have gone in level.

The second goal, came from a bit of play from a corner kick that was wrongly awarded, the defending for the 2nd 3rd and 4th goals weren’t acceptable. The 3rd and 4th goals came when we were down to 10 men and had gone gun ho to try and get a goal back.

Nisbet McGuffie  and  Hetherington lost their battles and continually couldn’t get the ball away from under their feet, hence losing possession, actually the park looked dummy and a nightmare to play on.

Morrison, if he’s to play must play on the right, the chance he had cutting in from the left should have been buried in the far corner.

The two new guys that came on showed enough to indicate they have a bit of skill, and I’m sure we’ll get a win next week

17 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I hope that ends up being true but at the moment Dunfermline and Airdrie have 5 more points and a GD ten better than us so can’t see either agreeing to lift and drop 75% of our defence tbh.

Yep, I wouldn't take any of your guys over ours at the moment, we have still to strengthen further too. Even Euan Devenney who has been criticised was outstanding yesterday. 

The first goal was far from acceptable with a few passes cutting us wide open and the boy had acres of space to get the initial shot away. It's just frustrating as hell as you know last seasons protagonists have that type of shitebag performance down to a tee. In fact the only thing you can say with a degree of certainty is that they excel at being failures. 

16 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I hope that ends up being true but at the moment Dunfermline and Airdrie have 5 more points and a GD ten better than us so can’t see either agreeing to lift and drop 75% of our defence tbh.

It has to get better. But until yesterday we had not lost a goal from open play in 5 games. 
I hope McGlynn, now he has seen with his own eyes, that last seasons players (outside MCKay) can’t be trusted. 
PS I think Airdrie lost their first two last season 

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yep, I wouldn't take any of your guys over ours at the moment, we have still to strengthen further too. Even Euan Devenney who has been criticised was outstanding yesterday. 

Watson is a donkey 

6 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It has to get better. But until yesterday we had not lost a goal from open play in 5 games. 
I hope McGlynn, now he has seen with his own eyes, that last seasons players (outside MCKay) can’t be trusted. 

It’s all very well him seeing that last seasons players are awful but he’s now reliant on the board making funds available for him to sign players to replace them that are an improvement. 

I’m not a huge fan of waiting till September to bring in loan players when the season starts in July. Our season may well be defined by then.

I mentioned yesterday that I thought Airdrie were miles better than us last season and I don’t see that changing.

We’ve made a shocking start to the league campaign however we need to give McGlynn time. I’ve said before, with what he inherited you don’t turn around in one season. We could have another 2 or 3 seasons at this level.

58 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Next week get Hetherington & Nesbitt to f**k, drop Morrison until he's learned he can't score from 10 yards out never mind 30 yards out and get the two new boys on from the start. 

Martin
Williamson Donaldson Mackie Mccann
McGinn Yeats
McGuffie Lawal Burrell
Alegria

I quite the look of that side but I’d maybe put Burrell up top, drop Alegria and put Oliver in there to go up top with Burrell. Quite happy to try your Alegria option as well though.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s all very well him seeing that last seasons players are awful but he’s now reliant on the board making funds available for him to sign players to replace them that are an improvement. 

I’m not a huge fan of waiting till September to bring in loan players when the season starts in July. Our season may well be defined by then.

I mentioned yesterday that I thought Airdrie were miles better than us last season and I don’t see that changing.

We’ve made a shocking start to the league campaign however we need to give McGlynn time. I’ve said before, with what he inherited you don’t turn around in one season. We could have another 2 or 3 seasons at this level.

I agree with giving him time. If we just keep changing managers/squads every season/transfer window we are never getting out this mess. 

McGlynn has brought in some decent players but a large proportion of the squad are still last years stinkers. I think we maybe need to be a bit patient and give him the time to get all the players he wants in and the ones he wants to hunt away from the club.

This might take a few more seasons though and I’m just not sure how the finances would go to allow him this time but if we just keep changing things we will be stuck here.

34 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

McGlynn will have some hard thinking to do regarding the squad he has assembled his tactics and team set up.

For if the results and performances are the same for the next few games then the seasons over and ambitions are no more than avoiding relegation.

The squad give or take one or two players coming in and out is what's going to see out the season.

Massive game next week we badly needs a win and a good display.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

We had not lost a goal from open play in 5 competitive games till yesterday. That shows we have improved. We lost goals yesterday which were a mixture of bad luck and poor defending.  Donaldson, Henderson and Mackie would play in every other side in the league. 
Get your crowing in early. Long season. We were awful 2nd half yesterday. I genuinely think Airdrie I saw yesterday were better last season. I am sure you can play better. 

I said the exact same yesterday during the game, Airdrie were far better last season and IMO were the best footballing team in the division and should have went up. McGlynn was absolutely spot on we had 5 chances, I counted 3 very good but he’s obviously went with all 5 as very good. The problems arised when we went down to 10 men, had a sub keeper who couldn’t keep hens out a close and Airdrie punished us. The second goal gets even more luck than the first as 1. It wasn’t a corner kick and 2. The ball lands perfect and Gallagher’s feet via a deflection for a second time. Think some people need to chill.

Edited by Tea and Busquets

McGlynn has been backed as much as he could have been by ST sales and support generally.  

There were several lessons learned yesterday and hope he's quicker to spot and react to those than Sheerin or Rennie.  

I'm not disagreeing at all that McGuffie, Nesbitt and Hetherington need to  be first to go but I do think unless we improve fast there'll be questions for McGlynn to answer soon over some of his decisions (on signings, selection and tactics).  E.g Oliver, Alegria already look like jersey fillers at best and very poor signings at worst, Mackie much better at CH than LB (but we have too many CHs when everyone fit for him to play there),  expectations low on Lawal, Burrell & Kennedy though they at least have the chance to pleasantly surprise us.  I can see why he put Yeats to right back (Williamson is honking) but why not bring in an actual right back if we're resorting to that by game 2 (unless Williamson was injured of course)? 

Raith fans were quick to say McGlynn signs too many crocks and struggles to find strikers and both those things seem to have become evident very quickly.  Let's hope his positives (experience, man management etc) outweigh those very soon or it could be another very long season.  

9 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Raith fans were quick to say McGlynn struggles to find strikers.

Let's hope his positives (experience, man management etc) outweigh those very soon or it could be another very long season.  

In his first spell at the Rovers he signed plenty of prolific strikers - Kevin Smith, John Baird, Brian Graham etc and we always had decent defenders - Mark Campbell, Marvin Andrews, Grant Murray, Laurie Ellis etc.

The reason we never quite made that final leap was that our midfield always seemed too staid and one dimensional.

When he returned for his second spell, the midfield was the strongest part of the team by a country mile - Regan Hendry, Brad Spencer, Ethan Ross etc and he completely transformed Ross Matthews, but our defence was never quite as secure and our forward line never quite as prolific (Falkirk scored many more goals than us in the Covid season).

I can understand Falkirk fans wanting to see a manager more visibly angry and animated after yesterday, but doing that in public just isn't his style. And as Rovers fans know only too well, going all 'Yogi' on players and publicly berating them doesn't generally lead to a happy ending.

19 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I said the exact same yesterday during the game, Airdrie were far better last season and IMO were the best footballing team in the division and should have went up. McGlynn was absolutely spot on we had 5 chances, I counted 3 very good but he’s obviously went with all 5 as very good. The problems arised when we went down to 10 men, had a sub keeper who couldn’t keep hens out a close and Airdrie punished us. The second goal gets even more luck than the first as 1. It wasn’t a corner kick and 2. The ball lands perfect and Gallagher’s feet via a deflection for a second time. Think some people need to chill.

I think most people are chilled tbh mate just people are pissed off. We’ve been in this division for a while now and it’s fair to say we’ve regressed each season.

People have different views on yesterdays game but I’m old fashioned and 4-0 is, and always will be, a total pumping to me.

Get Nesbitt so far to f**k and cut that f**king bun off his hair, loses possession too many times and sh*t out a few tackles, Morrison trying to walk the ball into the net instead of seeking out the pass, Alegria still young and needs a bit confidence but not physical enough., though he had a couple of chances. Losing McKay was a blow and putting us down to 10 men.

Think Burrell and Lawal looked decent enough and  are def worth the start next week can't do any worse. Push Yeats back into midfield and as much as options are limited for RB he is more effective as a midfielder

I can't see McGuffie going and McGlynn has worked with him before so might still get something out of him