The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, Bairn winner said:

I do back the team through thick and thin for 42 years, the point I was trying to make is you should at least have an expectation of going for promotion at the start of the season.

Are we just to accept we are a piss poor League 1 side now.

Yes

14 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I would like to see McGlynn go with a team that consist of mainly the players he has signed and see how we fair. I know it’s all down to injuries but at least it would be worth trying. 

We're at the stage where last season's lot have simply run out of road. There is no way back. Therefore McGlynn's team selection from now on should really come down to this: how many players who have not yet proven themselves to be conclusively useless can I get into the starting eleven? Essentially, he must select a team, in whatever formation is most suitable, that consists of as few of Williamson, Hetherington, Nesbitt, McGuffie and Morrison as possible. Personally I'd chuck Alegria into that category as well, whilst Oliver hasn't done much to dissuade me that he's a typical lower league jobber, plenty of graft but zero quality, but they have both been signed by him so unlikely. So whilst I am pretty sceptical about the two signings made this week, the jury is still out on them, so they get in, whilst last season's lot have long since been found guilty and need locking up with the key chucked away. But injuries are absolutely killing us just now. Surely next week as a minimum he'll start the likes of Burrell and Lawal (who I thought showed a couple of flashes of promise today) and give McCann a chance. Is there even a case for starting a couple of youngsters, could they be any worse than some of the dross on display, at least that would get the fans onside.

Incredible to be in this situation in the first week of August.

36 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

He put in a bit of a lunge on a boy and the ref played on. Didn't think it was too bad tbh but was all the more confusing that the ref didn't book him until about 3 minutes after it happened; he'd even forgotten who it was himself.

I agree with that analysis and it did seem strange. A lot happened to keep play going after the lunge and maybe the Ref was checking with the lino ? 

Interesting there is no McGlynn video up yet. Maybe he'll decide to keep his mouth shut and do his talking elsewhere; ideally that means getting rid - more realistically, he jettisons the offenders out the team next week and they never don the strip from the start again.

Just now, 18BAIRN76 said:

Interesting there is no McGlynn video up yet. Maybe he'll decide to keep his mouth shut and do his talking elsewhere; ideally that means getting rid - more realistically, he jettisons the offenders out the team next week and they never don the strip from the start again.

Thought the same 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Are you genuinely saying that two players are why you were shite last season and why you've been pumped today?

No, I am saying that those two are the remnants of last season’s crap, neither are team players, both are capable of ducking out of difficult moments, and seem to be ever presents in our most horrible performances.

For me, both are ok if you have others to do the work, and at no time should they be on the park at the same time. That ok? Or are you still wanting it distilled down to something else?
Going to ten coupled to McGlynn chucking players on regardless of shape or discipline played a big part too.

I've made the mistake of thinking we are better than we really are. Having been at the Stranraer, Hibs and Montrose matches I thought that while we were defensively sound, there was nothing up top but I fancied our chances of nicking a lot of 1-0 wins but at the same time assuming that we will struggle to get a goal back of we went 1 down. 

There's obviously a lot more work to be done than I thought. I can't see us being near promotion at all now if we can't score and can't get anything from the better teams in the division

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 hours ago, Gaz said:

This is what happens when you appoint a series of unproven youth coaches doing their work experience instead of actual football managers and allow them to fill the squad with absolute garbage year after year.

If McGlynn can dig us out of this he deserves a knighthood.

Agree but the irony ofcourse being that today we were defeated by a team with the youngest ever manager in the history of the SPFL! 

Just now, FK1Bairn said:

I've made the mistake of thinking we are better than we really are. Having been at the Stranraer, Hibs and Montrose matches I thought that while we were defensively sound, there was nothing up top but I fancied our chances of nicking a lot of 1-0 wins but at the same time assuming that we will struggle to get a goal back of we went 1 down. 

There's obviously a lot more work to be done than I thought. I can't see us being near promotion at all now if we can't score and can't get anything from the better teams in the division

I was in the same boat. Last two goals were as much about McGlynn just chucking players on in hope.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Think there's a few folk confusing acceptance and expectation here, and also buying into the perpetual shite occasional visitors to this thread fire in without actually reading it.

No one is suggesting a divine right to promotion, no one is refusing to accept where we find ourselves.

What people, and it should be all of us, expect is that a club who routinely outspend the rest of the division, largely using the money fans as customers put in, mount a season and a challenge which measures up to that.

That is absolutely a Falkirk supporters right to expect, and doing less is demonstrably a failure as per budget vs expectation at literally every single level of football.

You can both know why we are where we are, and expect the club to make a better fist of improving the position. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

^^^

Expects regular Champions League (group stage) football.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

No, I am saying that those two are the remnants of last season’s crap, neither are team players, both are capable of ducking out of difficult moments, and seem to be ever presents in our most horrible performances.

For me, both are ok if you have others to do the work, and at no time should they be on the park at the same time. That ok? Or are you still wanting it distilled down to something else?
Going to ten coupled to McGlynn chucking players on regardless of shape or discipline played a big part too.

Carrying last season's 'trauma'? We saw that in our League Cup with Alloa.