The Falkirk FC Thread

Easy to be sceptical with the way unknown signings from down South have worked out recently but I'm not having that McGlynn is going to be hoodwinked in the same way as absolute no marks like Holt or Sheerin.

Attacking side should have a new look tomorrow, or at least new options where options looked scarce, so let's just see. I'm quite looking forward to see if McGlynn has unearthed something, but obviously there's trepidation too. It's only natural given where we are and why

Losing out on Mochrie (though surprised he hasn't gone to a championship side) is a blow and possibly tips Dunfermline back to being bookies favourites again. Our new attacking signings are pretty much completely unknown but if they can perform as well as the defensive players we picked up earlier in the window I'll be confident of a good season 

We have basically recruited virtual unknowns in the attacking area with the possible exception of Kennedy and bar Alegria's ill fated spell at Partick he would have went under the radar aswell. The one positive is at least McGlynn knows the areas that need strengthening. Your hoping all these guys work out they really have to when what you already have in their positions aren't good enough. 

7 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

We have basically recruited virtual unknowns in the attacking area with the possible exception of Kennedy and bar Alegria's ill fated spell at Partick he would have went under the radar aswell. The one positive is at least McGlynn knows the areas that need strengthening. Your hoping all these guys work out they really have to when what you already have in their positions aren't good enough. 

John had similar signings when Raith went up to the championship in the likes of Duku, Musonda and Ugwu. 

We’re a dugmeat L1 team working on a budget. Exactly who did some people think we were going to bring in? Apart from the hilarious and ridiculous shouts of Adam Rooney and Scott Allan.

We were never going to be able to bring in anyone who would ‘guarantee’ goals or have a really good pedigree behind them so we were always going to have to take risks and we’ve got to trust that McGlynn knows what he’s doing and knows how har he’s spending his budget on.

Guest Caractacus Potts

Good showreel anyway. Seen some of these that completely mask ability but boy does look to have some good attributes. Whether he can do them for us we’ll see but at least McGlynn has been able to look at him first hand. 

Think such is our financial position that this is the best we’ll get but here’s hoping it’s another Farid or Collin Samuel. 

Every club is looking for a proven goalscorer. We were never going to be able to afford a ready made 20 goal a season striker so we have had to take a punt on unknowns. That’s what we have done with our last two signings, I hope J McG has unearthed a gem or two.

11 minutes ago, Russ said:

Exactly who did some people think we were going to bring in?

Off the top of my head, Rae, Ballantyne, Jamieson, Mochrie. Four players who have signed for direct League 1 rivals. All a quantifiable upgrade on what we currently have in these positions. We have signed 12 players (excluding kids), Airdrie and Dunfermline 11 combined, so the budget argument does not hold any weight either. All about opinions, but the three most recent signings feel like massive gambles. Given the complete disaster that befell the club in the summer of 2018, the ramifications of which are still being felt 4 years on, it is completely understandable for Falkirk fans to be highly sceptical of players of this profile. In fact, it's the only approach, and there need be absolutely no apology for it.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, HonestAl said:

I do hope so Z, but …..

1. Jettisoned - easier said than done. To whom, or is it just costly contract buy-outs?

2. Players look to have been initially invited based upon video analysis (as is the norm these days) but I wonder just how long their respective ‘trial’ periods have been. One week? Two weeks?

3. My fear is that much like Wilson and Ompreon, the phrase ‘panic signings’ spring to mind.

2 days training apparently. Bit of a gamble for sure and every right to be concerned given past acquisitions but fingers crossed it pays off. 

3 hours ago, Russ said:

If you can’t get on board and excited about a random 2 footed and tall attacking midfielder being signed up then there’s no hope for you tbh.

He’s either going to be absolutely ganting or a swashbuckling cult hero and I for one can’t wait to find out which.

Part of the journey innit. 

Just in from work and catching up with the last few pages and signing. 

These last 2 guys may turn out to be good or they could be utter mince. But boy I do love a little left field signing. 

As said on here plenty times, it's the hope that destroys you. 

Hopefully it will turn out to be a master stroke but I would like to have seen more ‘balance’ in the profile of the attacking players we’ve brought in. Clearly some original targets have knocked us back as I don’t imagine our chief scout has been basing his shortlist on agents’ highlights reels.

We’ve signed some decent experience in defence but it’s a big risk imo bringing in 3 guys in attacking areas who’ve played very little if any first team football at any level.

There is no proven goal scorer and no proven creator at the club and that could well come to haunt us imo.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

1 hour ago, Russ said:

We’re a dugmeat L1 team working on a budget. Exactly who did some people think we were going to bring in? Apart from the hilarious and ridiculous shouts of Adam Rooney and Scott Allan.

We were never going to be able to bring in anyone who would ‘guarantee’ goals or have a really good pedigree behind them so we were always going to have to take risks and we’ve got to trust that McGlynn knows what he’s doing and knows how har he’s spending his budget on.

Also the likes of Craig Sibbald not being good enough for us!

Don't know what people are expecting 😂

15 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Hopefully it will turn out to be a master stroke but I would like to have seen more ‘balance’ in the profile of the attacking players we’ve brought in. Clearly some original targets have knocked us back as I don’t imagine our chief scout has been basing his shortlist on agents’ highlights reels.

We’ve signed some decent experience in defence but it’s a big risk imo bringing in 3 guys in attacking areas who’ve played very little if any first team football at any level.

There is no proven goal scorer and no proven creator at the club and that could well come to haunt us imo.

There's no such thing as a proven creator or a proven goalscorer at our level, Mochrie got 2 assists and 1 goal in 16 games in his time at Montrose so is essentially an unproven 19 year old attacking midfielder, Lawal's a 20 year old unproven attacking midfielder.

Edited by FFC 1876

10 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Celtic apart, I think every team in Scotland have been looking for either a proven goal scorer and/or proven creator. I'd guess very few have signed them too, especially in our league.

Mochrie fared well against us in games but I'm sure was in and out of the Montrose team and hasn't started a game for utd that won.

Rory McAllister will get double figures but I'd struggle to think of many who will in this league. I can't see any getting 20, the league was won last season with Cove spreading the goals around the team and I'd guess the same will happen this season