The Falkirk FC Thread

34 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Did notice that when I was having a look, given Chippenham play in the National League and that's considered non-league I presume the contracts mean very little and can basically be ripped up at any point. 

Will try find out more and edit if I find anything.

Em, what? National League (or Conference to give it its old name) sides will pay more than most Scottish League One/Two sides and will have contracts just like anywhere else. They have players moving for five and six figure transfer fees. Clubs in the National League include the likes of Wrexham, Notts County, Oldham, Yeovil, Chesterfield and York. 

So that's us at a squad of 28 players, albeit 4 academy prospects who most likely won't see much first team action. We've still got another 2 loans available should we need another signing or two but given how big the squad is at the moment I doubt we'll see anymore until someone moves on. 

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Em, what? National League (or Conference to give it its old name) sides will pay more than most Scottish League One/Two sides and will have contracts just like anywhere else. They have players moving for five and six figure transfer fees. Clubs in the National League include the likes of Wrexham, Notts County, Oldham, Yeovil, Chesterfield and York

Who?

Guest Brockvillenomore
2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Do you think McGlynn's as bad at picking a player as Gary Holt or Sheerin?

With Sheerin admitting in the Falkirk Herald this very week that he was a tiny wee bit out of his depth. And Holt now a personal trainer. 

Edited by Brockvillenomore
Blind as a bat.

24 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

Mochrie signs for the Pars

I seen that mate. I’d like to have seen him at us as I’m sure you would have however the board have been transparent and we are not in a position to loan Mochrie on the wages United wanted - I, like you though have also seen what’s happened in the past to clubs like Dunfermline, Livingston and Dundee who have lived out with their means and have ended up ripping people off due to their reckless spending. Neither of us want Falkirk to end up in that position.

The horror of the 2018 pre-season is hard to forget as the optimism of the “Brentford Model” unfolded during the early weeks of the season. The flawed belief that Hartley knew what he was doing in signing a cache of previously unheard of players from the lower reaches of the English pyramid or Premier/Championship “B” teams has led to a ‘fool me once….’ attitude by many a fan.

So, we are asked to have faith in an albeit respected manager (McGlynn) to fill an obvious need in the first team (attacking mid & striker) with a couple of (with all due respect) unknown young players from a similar source as the 2018 debacle.

Forgive my scepticism but this could all go sadly wrong, especially with the likes of Nesbitt, McGuffie, Wilson, Malcolm, Ross etc still here.

Edited by HonestAl

9 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

The horror of the 2018 pre-season is hard to forget as the optimism of the “Brentford Model” unfolded during the early weeks of the season. The flawed belief that Hartley knew what he was doing in signing a cache of previously unheard of players from the lower reaches of the English pyramid or Premier/Championship “B” teams has led to a ‘fool me once….’ attitude by many a fan.

So, we are asked to have faith in an albeit respected manager (McGlynn) to fill an obvious need in the first team (attacking mid & striker) with a couple of (with all due respect) unknown young players from a similar source as the 2018 debacle.

Forgive my scepticism but this could all go sadly wrong, especially with the likes of Nesbitt, McGuffie, Wilson, Malcolm, Ross etc still here.

3 things - 1. I don’t think the likes of Wilson or Ross will get any game time once McGlynn has assembled his preferred squad. In fact, its more likely that they will be jettisoned. 2. Hartley signed the players without having a look at them. At least McGlynn has had them on trial before committing his budget in signing them and 3. You could say Wilson was looked at before signing, but that was by Sheerin and Holt who couldn’t pick a player if they tried. 

Edited by Zbairn

16 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

3 things - 1. I don’t think the likes of Wilson or Ross will get any game time once McGlynn has assembled his preferred squad. In fact, its more likely that they will be jettisoned. 2. Hartley signed the players without having a look at them. At least McGlynn has had them on trial before committing his budget in signing them and 3. You could say Wilson was looked at before signing, but that was by Sheerin and Holt who couldn’t pick a player if they tried. 

I do hope so Z, but …..

1. Jettisoned - easier said than done. To whom, or is it just costly contract buy-outs?

2. Players look to have been initially invited based upon video analysis (as is the norm these days) but I wonder just how long their respective ‘trial’ periods have been. One week? Two weeks?

3. My fear is that much like Wilson and Ompreon, the phrase ‘panic signings’ spring to mind.

Edited by HonestAl