The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Apologies, I meant it hadn’t been advertised in all my time booking hospitality over the years. This summer was the first I’ve heard of it being offered out.

The recent advertisement email for that lounge came from an enquiry I made personally. I believe it was also sent as part of a communication to the Bairns business club members. So in answer to your question, in that scenario, a select few yes (IE business club members). Which makes sense from an audience perspective & if their is a lack of space in the lounge. 

Im sure the club would discuss/email out info on it though if requested. 

Doesn’t make much sense to me to be honest, unless there is a certain criteria that you require to be in the business club or patrons!? There are 14 spots available which could apparently have brought in £20,160. We’re one game in now so unless the price is adjusted it becomes increasingly less appealing as an offer. 

Also what’s the difference with the corporate hospitality? As far as I can make out if you were to buy that with a drinks package then presuming it’s the same £30 increase/match for normal hospitality then it would be the same price as the Premier Club. Same price but without whatever the added benefits are of the Premier Club such as sitting in the directors box. 

7 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

So is it just open to a select group or open to all? 

Can you describe what it entails please? Do you have get in the boardroom prior to the match? 

It’s open to all yes and no you don’t have to go into the board room if you don’t want to, lol. If your interested contact the club and they’ll sell you the package if there are still spaces available, I’d presume an accommodation of discount can be made for the Montrose game. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, LatapyBairn. said:

It’s open to all yes and no you don’t have to go into the board room if you don’t want to, lol. If your interested contact the club and they’ll sell you the package if there are still spaces available. 

There are 14 spaces apparently yet no attempt to sell the rest to the fan base.

It’s open to all but the first I hear of it is on a fans forum. Even then I need to contact the club to gain more information about it as none is on the website and noone seems able to produce this email that the club sent out?

It doesn’t suggest open to all to me and at the very least highlights more how poorly the club has been at getting some of the basics right such as making things easy to buy. 

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I always presumed Gordon Wright was the financial guy with the club accounts being outsourced to Drummond Laurie but I am happy for you to tell me that’s wrong if I’m mistaken, we also have a new head of commercial who I can tell you from experience has already been extremely active in bringing in new money. On the this so called voting “clique” are you telling me DM has voted one way on an issue or issues and the other 5 have voted differently? If that’s all it is then I’m sorry but it’s how a board room functions and I see no reason to dis trust the decision making process at this juncture, a lot of new sponsorship has already been announced under the new BOD and we are making slow steady progress on the pitch. There are also two reps from the FSS, has Nigel Serafini been part of this “voting clique” as well? Who’s to say Nigel’s take on things is wrong and Douglas’s is correct? Or indeed who’s to say the other directors are wrong with Douglas being correct? And that’s me taking you at face value that Douglas has not been happy about being out voted on certain issues as other than from you on this forum Douglas himself, the club, or the FSS have said nothing to suggest this is the case.

Gordon Wright was part of the old board and is now the company secretary. Doug Moodie was the finance director.

For information, there are now only 4 directors following his resignation.

Edited by bothkennarbairn

I do think sometimes it's easy to forget just how small and inconsequential, in a strictly standalone financial sense, football clubs are*.  Simon Kuper's book on Barcelona is a great read for understanding the dysfunction and sheer financial incompetence that can afflict even the biggest clubs, because they end up being run/owned not by competent businesspeople but by their wealthiest fans.  Undoubtedly they go in mostly with good intentions, but there's always an element of them loving being the biggest fish in a small pond.

So work that down to an infinitesimally smaller club like ours, then you're going to have a similar thing but with arguably even less knowledge about how to run a business.  The boardrooms of clubs our size will always heavily feature sort of person that has an overexaggerated sense of their own genius and importance because, for example, they've built a questionable local plumbing empire.  The best thing we can hope for is that they're not crooks and are able to bring at least a semblance of competence to the organisation.  

Would it surprise me if the current board and some of the wealthier patrons are total arseholes?  I'd be more surprised if they weren't.  But given what we've experienced as a club over the past decade, I think it's safe to say that they're still a significant upgrade on the last lot.

TL;DR - pretty meh about current board, could be a lot worse.

* Obviously, there's a whole ecosystems of media that feeds off it.

@Caractacus Potts chipping away at this like Lt Columbo.. "just one more thing" !

A Premier Club with boardroom access only becomes a problem if board members start spending more of their time and giving their ear to their pals and are sat next to them/discussing FFC matters with them rather than the other board members.  

PC is a good initiative if it brings more cash into the club, but it should be properly advertised and not invite only. 

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

@Caractacus Potts chipping away at this like Lt Columbo.. "just one more thing" !

A Premier Club with boardroom access only becomes a problem if board members start spending more of their time and giving their ear to their pals and are sat next to them/discussing FFC matters with them rather than the other board members.  

PC is a good initiative if it brings more cash into the club, but it should be properly advertised and not invite only. 

Unfortunately the details of such a club are as visible as Mrs Columbo.

Silence and red dots are now the answers. 

I would pay real money NOT not to watch a game from the directors box.   I watched a Chelsea game in an executive box at the old Stamford Bridge back in the early 80's due to having a friend of the family being a director of a well known company at the time.  It was awful, no atmosphere, too far from the pitch, there may even have been prawn sandwiches.  Fish out of water for me.  I can't imagine any real fan would want to see a game from there.

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

There are 14 spaces apparently yet no attempt to sell the rest to the fan base.

It’s open to all but the first I hear of it is on a fans forum. Even then I need to contact the club to gain more information about it as none is on the website and noone seems able to produce this email that the club sent out?

It doesn’t suggest open to all to me and at the very least highlights more how poorly the club has been at getting some of the basics right such as making things easy to buy. 

I don't think there has been an e-mail about this facility in its current form in recent times, but it has been in operation for years and there was a similar facility even at Brockville in a room next to the RB Buffet in the Old Stand. Members went to a Lounge and sat around the Directors Box, ( I occasionally used the membership of a Wine and Spirit supplier back in these days)  a bit like Rangers 200 Club. It was a good business expense for companies to share with their clients.

There's only 20 spaces so at circa £ 1500 so i wouldn't imagine there would be a massive waiting list to book a place, If you want to go there i'm sure you'd be welcomed and they will be happy to take your payment.

I don't see any issue that a limited capacity facility hasn't been publicised from the tops of the roof.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, NUMBER 7 said:

I don't think there has been an e-mail about this facility in its current form in recent times, but it has been in operation for years and there was a similar facility even at Brockville in a room next to the RB Buffet in the Old Stand. Members went to a Lounge and sat around the Directors Box, ( I occasionally used the membership of a Wine and Spirit supplier back in these days)  a bit like Rangers 200 Club. It was a good business expense for companies to share with their clients.

There's only 20 spaces so at circa £ 1500 so i wouldn't imagine there would be a massive waiting list to book a place, If you want to go there i'm sure you'd be welcomed and they will be happy to take your payment.

I don't see any issue that a limited capacity facility hasn't been publicised from the tops of the roof.

Surely all things are limited including the corporate hospitality. It’s advertised and appears to be the same rate as the Premier Club but with seemingly less benefits. 

Regardless at a time when we need all investment we can, selling out the Premier Club could bring in a much required £21k. It could also bring a wider range of Bairns fans with money and maybe a bit more diversity too than what currently sounds like an old boys club. 

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Surely all things are limited including the corporate hospitality. It’s advertised and appears to be the same rate as the Premier Club but with seemingly less benefits. 

Regardless at a time when we need all investment we can, selling out the Premier Club could bring in a much required £21k. It could also bring a wider range of Bairns fans with money and maybe a bit more diversity too than what currently sounds like an old boys club. 

Who says it’s not sold out? I saw someone mention 6 people were in, it is peak holiday season still so could just be they weren’t there. There was only 20 odds in the normal hospitality which is marketed very well but was still virtually empty.

If you are interested, which I hope you are with all the posts, then it’s really easy to find out if you can go. Hope you get in & their is space for you 👍🏼

FWIW the general hospitality with the inclusive bar looks far better value for money than the premier club option with its pay bar.