The Falkirk FC Thread

48 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Can someone please confirm how many guys are on the bod, and if any of them are at the club full time. Seems to be a lot of volunteers employed if some of the recent posts are accurate on many of the social sites. 

The BOD is Gordon Wright who stayed on after the previous group all resigned, Kenny Jamieson & Keith Gourlay elected by the patrons and Nigel Serafini & (formerly) Douglas Moodie elected by the FSS. 

As for volunteers, Jamie Swinney said at the last AGM that he had 10 staff and 35 volunteers under him. I think the majority are only needed at home matchdays, such as boardroom attendants, hospitality hosts, 50/50 sellers etc. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
11 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I agree that we need a bigger Board to spread the workload 

Do you know what the workload is?

As far as I can tell from what’s on the website and has been said previously, the club has 5 full time employees plus another 2 media officers whom at least one works 3 days a week. There is a Football Administrator, Operations Manager, Fans Liaison Officer, Safeguarding Officer as well as the matchday volunteers as previously stated.

It was said the accounts are done by a third party so I can’t understand why a small business such as the club can’t be run by the present employees and requires directors who can commit a lot of hours each week outside of match days?

Guest Brockvillenomore
1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

As far as I can tell from what’s on the website and has been said previously, the club has 5 full time employees plus another 2 media officers whom at least one works 3 days a week. There is a Football Administrator, Operations Manager, Fans Liaison Officer, Safeguarding Officer as well as the matchday volunteers as previously stated.

It was said the accounts are done by a third party so I can’t understand why a small business such as the club can’t be run by the present employees and requires directors who can commit a lot of hours each week outside of match days?

As I understand it the work needed is in restructuring and improving how the club works. Remember Jamie Sweenie said the club was broken and inefficient in the podcast a month or so ago. Similar things have been said in the monthly updates. 

14 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I assume you're taking that from the contact page. 

FFC has ten non-football employees, some of who are part-time. Seven of those employees are listed on the contact page, with the omissions being the groundstaff. 

SLO appears to be a volunteer; the role has previously been done by both employees and directors. I believe the lady currently doing the role is on the FSS committee. 

Safeguarding is a volunteer who's been at the club for decades. 

Disability Access used to be a director who then became a volunteer and has now left. 

The last three roles are, I think, requirements for all football clubs under SFA rules. 

Football Operations comes under John McGlynn in the same way as kitmen, physio, sports science etc. 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

No expert in running a football club, but are we suffering (used very loosely) because the guys on the bod have other jobs out with the club?

Surely not expecting to have a full time Board of Directors?

The cost would be astronomical.

7 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Surely not expecting to have a full time Board of Directors?

The cost would be astronomical.

As said no expert in running a football club,  and my comment simply referred to the bod guys maybe having difficulty finding time. What was the set up before the new bod were appointed. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
54 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I assume you're taking that from the contact page. 

FFC has ten non-football employees, some of who are part-time. Seven of those employees are listed on the contact page, with the omissions being the groundstaff. 

SLO appears to be a volunteer; the role has previously been done by both employees and directors. I believe the lady currently doing the role is on the FSS committee. 

Safeguarding is a volunteer who's been at the club for decades. 

Disability Access used to be a director who then became a volunteer and has now left. 

The last three roles are, I think, requirements for all football clubs under SFA rules. 

Football Operations comes under John McGlynn in the same way as kitmen, physio, sports science etc. 

Yeh but presume I’m correct about the full time employees as those roles were advertised recently and there was an update saying the Media Officer works 3 days a week.

Would have thought that would have been plenty to run the business but obviously no idea exactly what is entailed with the running of the club. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Brockvillenomore said:

As I understand it the work needed is in restructuring and improving how the club works. Remember Jamie Sweenie said the club was broken and inefficient in the podcast a month or so ago. Similar things have been said in the monthly updates. 

Do we know any more details? Heard from the old board regarding putting in infrastructure etc etc but then not much seemed to change. 

Still see some things need improving(yes updating the website is one) so just curious as to what is happening and where the workload lies!?

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

As said no expert in running a football club,  and my comment simply referred to the bod guys maybe having difficulty finding time. What was the set up before the new bod were appointed. 

We're not really any different from every  other club I would think. Probably having to put in more time just now to get the mess left by the last lot sorted out but I can easily see it consuming a decent amount of anyone's time.

57 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

What we need is a strong independent Chairman to conduct meetings and to knock heads together as and when required.

Do you favour a more authoritarian approach, as opposed to consensus-driven?*

*not sure what kind of process is currently in place, merely replying to your statement.

I don't know Doug Moodie personally but the fact he's liking people's negative posts on the facebook announcement for me shows he probably wasn't cut out for it. I don't have a clue what's went on but that screams of petulance and we really don't need that in our boardroom at the moment. 

From memory there were two candidates for the FSS director position when Doug won the vote so maybe the other candidate will step forward again. I also didn't know the other candidate but I'm sure he was retired so would maybe have a lot more time to give.

Edited by FFC 1876

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

I didn't and don't know Doug Moodie personally but the fact he's liking people's negative posts on the facebook announcement for me shows he probably wasn't cut out for it. I don't have a clue what's went on but that screams of petulance and we really don't need that in our boardroom at the moment. 

From memory there were two candidates for the FSS director position when Doug won the vote so maybe the other candidate will step forward again. I also didn't know the other candidate but I'm sure he was retired so would maybe have a lot more time to give.

Negative or accurate? Until fss let the members know what's gone on to lead to him resigning we won't know.

23 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Do you favour a more authoritarian approach, as opposed to consensus-driven?*

*not sure what kind of process is currently in place, merely replying to your statement.

Authoritarian is the wrong word.

On a football clubs board, you are going to have people who are/have been successful in their careers and probably have strong views about their areas of expertise and also about other people’s area.

In my view, without a Chairman who sets the agenda and runs the meetings, our set up is a recipe for disaster.

In fact, it is terrible corporate governance.

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I don't know Doug Moodie personally but the fact he's liking people's negative posts on the facebook announcement for me shows he probably wasn't cut out for it. I don't have a clue what's went on but that screams of petulance.

That’s a hell of a leap to make. I don’t know if he has liked “people’s” or a single person’s post on FB, but to say he wasn’t cut out for it based on that and that alone is stretching things a bit.

Remember too that this FB like (I don’t do FB) came after he had resigned from the Board. I would be interested in anyone coming up with evidence of him being unsuitable for the role or being petulant during his spell as a Director of FFC, but I won’t hold my breath on that one.

18 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That’s a hell of a leap to make. I don’t know if he has liked “people’s” or a single person’s post on FB, but to say he wasn’t cut out for it based on that and that alone is stretching things a bit.

Remember too that this FB like (I don’t do FB) came after he had resigned from the Board. I would be interested in anyone coming up with evidence of him being unsuitable for the role or being petulant during his spell as a Director of FFC, but I won’t hold my breath on that one.

Is it though? We're not currently working with a chairman in place which means all the board need to work together collaboratively in order to make decisions that will hopefully be for the best of the club. We've been talking for months about us fans pulling together in order to pull our club out the dirt, he's resigned and he's straight onto the facebook announcement to like a negative comment before anything's really been said about why he's resigned.

What kind of message does that send about pulling together?

Edited by FFC 1876