The Falkirk FC Thread

Could see McGlynn going mental at the side of the pitch several times throughout the game usually when Nesbitt or Morrison were involved.

Morrison definitely lost a yard or two of pace but did find it strange he was up beside Oliver when all preseason it’s been 2 wide of Oliver, Dillon bossed Oliver and Algeria all game read the game brilliantly.

if Charlie Telfer is the answer I don’t want to know what question is being asked.

6 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Could see McGlynn going mental at the side of the pitch several times throughout the game usually when Nesbitt or Morrison were involved.

Morrison definitely lost a yard or two of pace but did find it strange he was up beside Oliver when all preseason it’s been 2 wide of Oliver, Dillon bossed Oliver and Algeria all game read the game brilliantly.

if Charlie Telfer is the answer I don’t want to know what question is being asked.

We had three defensive mids yesterday when two, at most, were required. Nesbitt was the only attacking mid in the team. Telfer for Hetherington would have made a big difference to our attacking options. I'm not saying that he's 'the answer' but, if used correctly, I think he would do really well.

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

Aye but the main issue is that once he marauds forward he doesn't bother his arse to burst a gut getting back to defend an opposing attack from one of his many wayward passes. 

Don’t think it’s a question of not bothering it looks to me that he actually can’t get back because he is breathing through his arse.

Also shit scared to tackle which is probably a consequence of his injury history but is a wee bit of a drawback for a defender.

Who scored 5 goals and had 8 assists in the worst Falkirk team ever last year, who wasn’t playing in his favoured position, a number 10, is better than what we’ve got in the squad, potentially a realistic transfer with not much else out there, and may get better under a manager like McGlynn?

Okay that’s a very long question. I agree with a previous poster, no way would he be anybody’s first choice or top of the list. But when you’re still having to bring on Seb Ross (who didn’t look terrible yesterday but still not good enough) then I could see a place for him.

I’m not sure how it ended, whether Telfer wanted to go or we didn’t offer him a contract, but it’s not the worst shout.

25 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

He was posted missing more than he turned up, good player but as with the rest of last years squad didn't bother his arse, which is why we are in this league in the first place. 

I think Telfer's a good bit better than Morrison, Nesbitt and Mcguffie but given McGlynn would have had input in the 14 players we released at the end of last season we're not going to see him back. Wouldn't be adverse to a 5 at the back when all our defenders are fully fit as Mccann for me's too good a prospect to be sitting on the bench. Donaldson, Henderson and Mackie would all be capable of stepping out of defence with the ball too.

McGlynn was appointed four days after our final game of last season. Discussions would obviously have been ongoing beforehand, therefore it is safe to assume that he had final say on the released list. Had McGlynn wished to retain Telfer then he would have been offered a new contract. Shouts for him to be re-signed say far, far more about the absolutely pitiful quality of our final third options than they do about any great belief that Telfer is somehow part of the answer to our glaring problems. No thanks.

31 minutes ago, AGPar said:

McGlynn was appointed four days after our final game of last season. Discussions would obviously have been ongoing beforehand, therefore it is safe to assume that he had final say on the released list. Had McGlynn wished to retain Telfer then he would have been offered a new contract. Shouts for him to be re-signed say far, far more about the absolutely pitiful quality of our final third options than they do about any great belief that Telfer is somehow part of the answer to our glaring problems. No thanks.

Exactly. Morrison, mcguffie, nesbitt and hetherington wouldn't be here if their contracts had been up or the club had managed to offload them. More chance of me playing for Falkirk  this season than telfer it's as simple as that.

Guest Ecosse83
35 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

PJ
Donaldson Hendo Mackie
Williamson McGinn Yeats Mccann
Kennedy
Morrison Alegria/Oliver

5-3-2 I just couldn't fit Williamson and Mccann in on the same line.

Mcglynn won’t deviate from what he always plays. He will just sign more players to suit his style! 

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 hours ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

He apparently drinks energy drinks all the time, the physios tried to get him to stop but Rennie lacked authority to make him and shrugged his shoulders. Bulking up is not a great idea for a winger who (used to) live off his pace. I hope McGlynn gets him to return to form, he used to be the only player we had who could take the ball and get us up field.

Is this for real!?

1 hour ago, Jackie Myles said:

I'm just happy at the moment that teams like bloody Montrose arent pumping us any more

Really!!!

Both teams are in League 1 for a reason. Just because you are full time doesn't give you a right to thump every part time team you come up against. We are where we are on merit as last 4 seasons have proved not by luck

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

He was posted missing more than he turned up, good player but as with the rest of last years squad didn't bother his arse, which is why we are in this league in the first place. 

Exactly this, out of his 5 goals last season 4 of them were against the bottom two in the league and 1 against Clyde but when it came to any team around us he went missing.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

We had three defensive mids yesterday when two, at most, were required. Nesbitt was the only attacking mid in the team. Telfer for Hetherington would have made a big difference to our attacking options. I'm not saying that he's 'the answer' but, if used correctly, I think he would do really well.

Suspect the setup was to not lose a goal and take it from there. That indicates McGlynn knows we are short of creativity in midfield and putting the ball in the net and the 3 holding players was being pragmatic.

Who and where we get the players to solve that problem is anybody's guess. 

The lack of other clubs wanting to take any of our players on loan says it all.

21 minutes ago, watdeadlyone said:

Really!!!

Both teams are in League 1 for a reason. Just because you are full time doesn't give you a right to thump every part time team you come up against. We are where we are on merit as last 4 seasons have proved not by luck

Aye really and I never mentioned that we should be hammering teams like Montrose anywhere in that statement so no idea where you are getting that rubbish from. We should be able to put a side out on the park that can  compete with Montrose instead of getting beat comfortably . I really don't see what the issue with that is. 

Edited by Jackie Myles

6 minutes ago, watdeadlyone said:

Really!!!

As Sir John McGlynn noted, you brought about 60 fans for an opening weekend fixture, it is a nice change for your diddies to turn up and not pump us rotten for the first time in a couple years 

2 hours ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

He apparently drinks energy drinks all the time, the physios tried to get him to stop but Rennie lacked authority to make him and shrugged his shoulders. Bulking up is not a great idea for a winger who (used to) live off his pace. I hope McGlynn gets him to return to form, he used to be the only player we had who could take the ball and get us up field.

Does he have a preference of which energy drink he has? I do love a white monster before the gym.