The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Exactly. I’d imagine there would be plenty of clubs willing to take Morrison. 

I was gutted to see Aidan Connolly go too as thought he was a great wee player with a lot of potential. His stats since leaving have been pretty impressive as well

Agree on Aidan Connolly. Was just about to say he's exactly what we're missing.

I think Nesbitt is a far better player than Morrison. Don't think Morrison looked like beating that full back all day. Had that one cut inside that brought the nesbitt chance bit other than that thought he was firmly in his back pocket.

You are right though that if he doesn't play we have even less threat. McGuffie is incredibly slow and nothing else looks remotely feasible.

Dylan Tait didn't even make the bench for Hibs yesterday, hopefully he's who we've pulled out of the Mochrie race for if the Arab R Us character is to be believed. Both fantastic players at this level but obviously McGlynn has worked with Tait previously so knows exactly what he offers.

Edited by FFC 1876

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I think the criticism is warranted given he's in his third season with us and all his weaknesses when he joined us haven't been improved on. He's always been able to beat a man for fun but then he always usually hoofs his cross out the other side of the park. He'll do brilliantly to get through on goal then just puts his head down and rattles it straight at the keeper. Those goal stats you've mentioned will no doubt be boosted a fair bit by penalties. 

We all know there's talent in there, he just needs to work on that final ball or his career won't go anywhere.

Don’t disagree with you however he’s definitely worth keeping IMO as we’d struggle to get someone to replace his ability. 

He scored 3 pens in 20/21 and 2 in 21/22. Even without the penalties they are still good stats for someone who plays predominantly on the wing. I can’t think of many players, even in some of our good teams, who can match those statistics. 

I honestly find Morrison so frustrating. His decision making is woeful, he makes the wrong choice at least 90% of the time. A player with the tools he has should be running riot in this league. I honestly don't think he can be improved, he has zero composure when he does get a chance. He thinks he is a player but ultimately he offers very little. I can see McGlynn getting pissed off with him fairly quickly. 

A sense of perspective if that was last season we would have been horsed by about 3 goals at least. the ref was woeful and was lacked consistency, whilst Montrose were a bit more physical in the game and no sure the mo player that kept on going down whenever a Falkirk player went anywhere near him but he got a decision most of the time.  We lack a finisher that is clear. felt Morrison was marked most of the time which didn't allow him to do what he can do.  Its bad decisions on the part of mainly Morrison and Nesbitt messing things up, though there were times when there was no one up front to help players pushing forward when we did. 

Williamson not sure what his issue is but definitely a weak link tries to get forward, struggles to beat a man, loses possession but all I will say is he's no Kieran Duffie.

its first game of the season we didn't get beat which is the main thing, McGlynn has a battle on his hands but he knew that when he took the job anyone criticising the man needs their head looked at mind you after the last 3 seasons I think folk have just got used to criticising all things Falkirk hence the moan a few pages back about the seats being the wrong shade of blue.

For once we have the right man as Manager so can take that one out the equation as an issue, defence is a massive improvement and can't even criticise Brad McKay who seems to have become competent.  Basically main thoughts on yesterday lack of cutting edge up front and woeful refereeing as being the main factors if we didn't have that cutting edge though and scored first I think the refereeing issue would have been out the equation though.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

On Morrison, I think his pace is basically gone as a force worth talking about. 

Agree on that, it looks as if he has bulked up a bit muscle wise which is no bad thing but with that has lost a bit pace to deal with a more physical aspect.

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The moaning "nae netter than last season" boy did get told that tbf. But it was exactly my thoughts. If you don't see that as better, football isn't for you.

Also had the same longing as you for whether Mackie could conceivably go to RB to get McCann into the team. But it's probably totally fanciful. And I'd hate to see Finn Yeats removed from midfield having seen his engine in there yesterday.

Isn't Liam Henderson notionally capable of playing RB or have I misremembered that from when he signed? Apart from RB the defence is an embrassment of riches compared to everywhere else, with Watson still to come in... With Mckay looking settled we have a choice of 4 proper CHs, plus Mackie is very competent stand in there, and 2 LBs I'd be happy enough to start.

Pretty sure Henderson could play LB competently which is a shame. We are crying out for a RB. 

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The moaning "nae netter than last season" boy did get told that tbf. But it was exactly my thoughts. If you don't see that as better, football isn't for you.

Also had the same longing as you for whether Mackie could conceivably go to RB to get McCann into the team. But it's probably totally fanciful. And I'd hate to see Finn Yeats removed from midfield having seen his engine in there yesterday.

Isn't Liam Henderson notionally capable of playing RB or have I misremembered that from when he signed? Apart from RB the defence is an embrassment of riches compared to everywhere else, with Watson still to come in... With Mckay looking settled we have a choice of 4 proper CHs, plus Mackie is very competent stand in there, and 2 LBs I'd be happy enough to start.

Pretty sure Henderson could play LB competently which is a shame. We are crying out for a RB. 

It will be a balance for McGlynn to keep the defence solid but have us look more dangerous in the final third.

Williamson overall was poor yesterday but he did make some good underlapping runs inside to no avail. Mackie got forward on occasion but perhaps not as often as I’d have liked.

For me there was a real lack of link up play out wide throughout the game. Between the full back, wide players, whoever was playing as a 10, and whoever was playing as a striker. Don’t think our shape first half helped with this but can see why McGlynn tried it.

Be interesting to see what Kennedy is liked when he is back fit. I’d have been looking at the likes of Dan Armstrong out wide and Innes Cameron up front from
Kilmarnock but they both played for them yesterday.

Almost every team in the country right now seems 1 or 2 players short despite the league campaign kicking off, wonder what it’ll look like when the window shuts.

Everyone's already said it but Donaldson was a delight to watch yesterday. Big dominant centre half who was also very composed on the ball and always looked to pick a pass. The fact he's clearly not fully fit makes it even more impressive. 

Edited by FFC 1876

23 minutes ago, Trump said:

Williamson overall was poor yesterday but he did make some good underlapping runs inside to no avail.

Aye but the main issue is that once he marauds forward he doesn't bother his arse to burst a gut getting back to defend an opposing attack from one of his many wayward passes. 

35 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Agree on that, it looks as if he has bulked up a bit muscle wise which is no bad thing but with that has lost a bit pace to deal with a more physical aspect.

He apparently drinks energy drinks all the time, the physios tried to get him to stop but Rennie lacked authority to make him and shrugged his shoulders. Bulking up is not a great idea for a winger who (used to) live off his pace. I hope McGlynn gets him to return to form, he used to be the only player we had who could take the ball and get us up field.

2 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

He apparently drinks energy drinks all the time, the physios tried to get him to stop but Rennie lacked authority to make him and shrugged his shoulders. Bulking up is not a great idea for a winger who (used to) live off his pace. I hope McGlynn gets him to return to form, he used to be the only player we had who could take the ball and get us up field.

It might help him deal with more physical players he comes up against but like you say his pace was his biggest asset which if you can run faster than the guy your up against he wouldn't need to rely on having a bit more bulk/muscle

I actually think we need to go 3 at the back as we have the players that would suit it. This would get McCann, who has been one of our best players so far, on to the pitch and would put Mackie at LCB where he's better. It would also mean that Williamson would'nt need to defend just quite as much which would be a bonus.

I felt that Ross did ok when he came on yesterday and I would give him a try at RWB in that system 'cause he really can't be any worse in there.

I'd try to get Telfer back as well as I think he would have made a big difference yesterday playing in an advanced midfield role, that's if McGlynn does'nt have anyone better lined up. I'd hate to see him play against us as well because I'm sure the inevitable would happen in that scenario!

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I actually think we need to go 3 at the back as we have the players that would suit it. This would get McCann, who has been one of our best players so far, on to the pitch and would put Mackie at LCB where he's better. It would also mean that Williamson would'nt need to defend just quite as much which would be a bonus.

I felt that Ross did ok when he came on yesterday and I would give him a try at RWB in that system 'cause he really can't be any worse in there.

I'd try to get Telfer back as well as I think he would have made a big difference yesterday playing in an advanced midfield role, that's if McGlynn does'nt have anyone better lined up. I'd hate to see him play against us as well because I'm sure the inevitable would happen in that scenario!

Think McGlynn mentioned in one of his interviews 2 more players (loan) to come in and looking at closer to the window closing than sooner.

Edited by AL-FFC

Would be a remarkable turnaround if we won the league this season given how dreadful we were last season.  It's going to take time but I'm just happy at the moment that teams like bloody Montrose arent pumping us any more.  Can't see telfer coming back . Mcglynn would have emptied the whole lot this season if he'd had the option including telfer so having got him off the wage bill there's little chance of him bringing him back.