The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

We have had a few fans on here coming out with "in McGlynn we trust" or words to that effect. Well, he needs to start earning that trust now. He presumably knew what our squad was like and and what their contract situations were before he signed up. I am assuming that he also knew what his playing budget was going to be. He now needs to use his experience and contacts to wheel and deal and get shot of the dross and bring in better. 

While the league isn't won or lost in July, it could well be lost in August / September.

Over to you, Mr. McGlynn.

I think that's harsh. We trust McGlynn because he's an actual football manager. Signings like Mackie, PJ, Donaldson and McGinn are vast improvements on the shit we had.

He's just not had enough scope to improve the rest of the team budget wise. I very much doubt he actually wanted Allegria - looked like a cheap roll the dice option from the loan market.

I bet privately he'd love to chase Morrison, Williamson, McGuffie and co.

He's dealing well with a really bad hand. I think we'll get a lot better too. I just wish we had more money to give him

We haven’t conceded more than one goal in a competitive fixture this season. Mind you we haven’t scored more than one either.
Airdrie away next week. That game should definitely be a clue to where we are going this season unless we find a creative midfielder…..

Ps. Not sure about Telfer. I wouldn’t be against it, but he would need to be much more consistent than last season. Having seen the improvement in McKay under McGlynn that may be possible though….

6 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

We have had a few fans on here coming out with "in McGlynn we trust" or words to that effect. Well, he needs to start earning that trust now. He presumably knew what our squad was like and and what their contract situations were before he signed up. I am assuming that he also knew what his playing budget was going to be. He now needs to use his experience and contacts to wheel and deal and get shot of the dross and bring in better. 

While the league isn't won or lost in July, it could well be lost in August / September.

Dear god, are you actually mental? 

Think we all know where our problems lie, need to bring in at least 2 half decent forwards asap. 

Back line has steadied the ship and we dont look half as bad there as last years showing, but that would not have been hard to beat. Middle of the park needs tweaking to help both defence and attack but in general not too bad.

My fear is we drop away from the leading pack and once we do get things sorted we are too far away to catch up

Attacking = Shite, lacking quality

Defence= Solid as a rock

Starting to think some of the people on here didn't attend any games last season calling that performance yesterday shite, it was a million times better than anything I watched last season home or away. 

Donaldson and Brad McKay (Wtf) were solid as f**k. So was PJ in goal. I think I'd prefer Mackie at LCB with McCann at left back. Shame he can't play right back because Ryan Williamson has got to be the worst right back we've had in the past 20 years I'm putting him at Scott Mercer levels. 

Still think we need a RB, another centre mid and a Striker. But I can't see us being a team this year that's going to concede 3 or 4 goals like last year. It's just going to take time for Us to get something to click up top. 

6 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

You're fucking nuts. 

10 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Telfer still to get a club? 

Would take him ahead of McGuffie, Nesbitt and definitely Morrison who is going backwards from when he first arrived. Unfortunately Telfer was out of contract and the only one easy to punt.

McGlynn has definitely improved our squad with the additions but he is severely hamstrung by the amount of players on contracts left over from last season, but to be fair he has improved some of them.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

McGlynn said in his pre match interview that Kennedy had his hernia operation on Monday and that he'll now be 4-6 weeks recovering. Alegria didn't really do anything yesterday aside from his decent run near the end which the Montrose goalie done well to get out and smother.

The longer we wait the more chance we likely have of getting better quality in on loan but given our current options it would be a very big gamble to hold out for. Hopefully at least one in before Airdrie on Saturday.

Been reading a lot of criticism over Callum Morrison. I get the frustration but to me he is one of our most talented attacking players. He definitely has areas he can improve on but if he didn’t then he’d be nowhere near us. We need to get the best out of him in order to help us at the top end of the field. 

Here’s his stats for the last couple of seasons:

20/21

Played 26 Goals 9 Assists 3

21/22

Played 24 Goals 11 Assists 4

These are decent stats in 2 terrible sides. 

There’s a bit of chat about Kenny Miller coming in to coach the forwards(fishing trip I presume) however why not get Crunchie(if willing) to coach Morrison, McGuffie and Nesbit? If he could improve their decision making and final ball then pretty sure we’ll see a lot more goals scored. 

Morrison just lacks good decision making. Getting shot of him would be a terrible idea. There's guys in that team (Nesbitt and Williamson) who are much more deserving of getting their notice. Morrisons pace and ability to beat a man is something that we won't be able to replace so easily. I don't think having him on the left side helps but we'll wait and see. 

Attacking = Shite, lacking quality
Defence= Solid as a rock

Starting to think some of the people on here didn't attend any games last season calling that performance yesterday shite, it was a million times better than anything I watched last season home or away. 

The moaning "nae netter than last season" boy did get told that tbf. But it was exactly my thoughts. If you don't see that as better, football isn't for you.

Also had the same longing as you for whether Mackie could conceivably go to RB to get McCann into the team. But it's probably totally fanciful. And I'd hate to see Finn Yeats removed from midfield having seen his engine in there yesterday.

Isn't Liam Henderson notionally capable of playing RB or have I misremembered that from when he signed? Apart from RB the defence is an embrassment of riches compared to everywhere else, with Watson still to come in... With Mckay looking settled we have a choice of 4 proper CHs, plus Mackie is very competent stand in there, and 2 LBs I'd be happy enough to start.

1 minute ago, Van_damage said:

Been reading a lot of criticism over Callum Morrison. I get the frustration but to me he is one of our most talented attacking players. He definitely has areas he can improve on but if he didn’t then he’d be nowhere near us. We need to get the best out of him in order to help us at the top end of the field. 

20/21

21/22

There’s a bit of chat about Kenny Miller coming in to coach the forwards(fishing trip I presume) however why not get Crunchie(if willing) to coach Morrison, McGuffie and Nesbit? If he could improve their decision making and final ball then pretty sure we’ll see a lot more goals scored. 

I think the criticism is warranted given he's in his third season with us and all his weaknesses when he joined us haven't been improved on. He's always been able to beat a man for fun but then he always usually hoofs his cross out the other side of the park. He'll do brilliantly to get through on goal then just puts his head down and rattles it straight at the keeper. Those goal stats you've mentioned will no doubt be boosted a fair bit by penalties. 

We all know there's talent in there, he just needs to work on that final ball or his career won't go anywhere.

Guest Ecosse83

I actually thought Alegria didn’t do too badly when he came on. He offered us a different option and just about got us a winner with a nice run and effort on goal (something that didn’t happen for the rest of the game). I think he will start on Saturday with Oliver in behind him which will suit Oliver better as well. 

It’s going to take a while for Mcglynn to fully get us going, even if we don’t go up this season the squad will be in much better shape and not needing a complete overhaul! 

1 minute ago, Senor Bairn said:

Morrison just lacks good decision making. Getting shot of him would be a terrible idea. There's guys in that team (Nesbitt and Williamson) who are much more deserving of getting their notice. Morrisons pace and ability to beat a man is something that we won't be able to replace so easily. I don't think having him on the left side helps but we'll wait and see. 

Exactly. I’d imagine there would be plenty of clubs willing to take Morrison. 

I was gutted to see Aidan Connolly go too as thought he was a great wee player with a lot of potential. His stats since leaving have been pretty impressive as well

7 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

20/21

21/22

I’m someone who has constantly criticised him and I realise if his decision making was better he wouldn’t be with us. I’m just not convinced he can be changed or coached to be better. I also get very frustrated by the fact for some reason a lot of our fans give him a free pass whilst others constantly get pelters. He is the most frustrating player in our side and he needs 5/6 chances to bag 1 goal. One on one against a keeper he is murder, but again if he was more clinical he probably wouldn’t be at a league one side.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

The moaning "nae netter than last season" boy did get told that tbf. But it was exactly my thoughts. If you don't see that as better, football isn't for you.

Also had the same longing as you for whether Mackie could conceivably go to RB to get McCann into the team. But it's probably totally fanciful. And I'd hate to see Finn Yeats removed from midfield having seen his engine in there yesterday.

Isn't Liam Henderson notionally capable of playing RB or have I misremembered that from when he signed? Apart from RB the defence is an embrassment of riches compared to everywhere else, with Watson still to come in... With Mckay looking settled we have a choice of 4 proper CHs, plus Mackie is very competent stand in there, and 2 LBs I'd be happy enough to start.

Said it before but I'd love McCann to get a shot as a winger.