The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, Russ said:

I don’t know why you would say that tbh. We had Oliver and Morrison up front together for the first hour today.

Didn't look like we were playing 2 up top it just looked like Morrison had been given more freedom to wander.

I don’t think it was as bad as some are making out. A ‘meh’ game. Not good but not bad. We got into some great positions but no cutting edge. Nesbitt chance first half when keeper parries right to him but he put it wide and especially his chance where he was played with the goal facing him and he took ages on the ball and lost it instead of shooting. Massive improvement defensively btw. I didn’t think Mackie was great. He was good but not great. I’ve said on here before I don’t think he should play LB, I think McCann gives us more going forward and if we’re playing that narrow 4-1-2-1-2 we played for 60 minutes then we need our full backs high. Didn’t understand taking Oliver off. He held up the ball superbly against Waddle and Dillon. Nesbitt should have been hooked long before Oliver. McGuffie might just be the slowest winger I’ve ever seen (and I include a 40 year old Ryan Giggs).

Can't argue with people's views on today. Defensively we were sound with the only issues being the collision between PJ Morrison and Donaldson in the first half that could have cost us and what looked like a sclaff wide in the second half following a Montrose corner. 

Going forward we have next to nothing. Oliver worked hard but he's not a lone striker and Alegria didn't look up to much. For all Nesbitt's fancy flicks and turns they're all done in acres of space and too deep, he seems all style and no end product (Hibs goal aside). Callumn Morrison is very frustrating, my son seems to like him but that's more because of his hair 😅

I fancy us to pick up more points than last season but there's going to be a lot of 0-0's unless we sign a striker.

I think McGlynn’s first task was to stop the rot. Just don’t let things spiral further downwards.

To all intents and purposes, he seems to be well along the way to achieving that aim, but that only flattens the curve, it doesn’t mean we are going to be much much better than last season…….not with the squad he has inherited with next to no chance of freeing up cash by unloading several players that no-one else will touch with a barge pole.

I don’t think he needs telling where we are going to come up short. He is probably frustrated to hell that he really can’t bring in the players he needs because he can’t unload the dead wood.

Whether we like it or not, it’s highly unlikely that with half the budget blown on players he really doesn’t want, then making the proverbial silk purse out of a sow’s ear is one helluva ask.

Nothing changed for me. We won’t lose many games but we need to sort the front 4. Wide players not good enough, poor decision making. I would chase Morrison ,Nesbitt, Hetherington and Williamson. 

Im not usually one of those fans that gets all doom and gloom. I mean, last couple of seasons have been the lowest point in my 30 years of following the Bairns home and away. But that today, although defensively better was still not good enough. A Dunfermline, Airdrie, Kelty would have punished us. I actually though Donaldson had a shaky first half, he got turned countless time and struggled with McAllister but the second half he was like a different player, who dominated everything. Some of the basics in football are non existent from some players. Simple 6 yard passes going astray. If McGlynn and co manage to bring in a competent striker ill be surprised.

Edited by glasgow_bairn

52 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Nothing changed for me. We won’t lose many games but we need to sort the front 4. Wide players not good enough, poor decision making. I would chase Morrison ,Nesbitt, Hetherington and Williamson. 

Problem with that as you know is that they are under contract and unless we can persuade some mugs or L2 sides to take them then they will continue to drain the funds whilst contributing very little.

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think McGlynn’s first task was to stop the rot. Just don’t let things spiral further downwards.

To all intents and purposes, he seems to be well along the way to achieving that aim, but that only flattens the curve, it doesn’t mean we are going to be much much better than last season…….not with the squad he has inherited with next to no chance of freeing up cash by unloading several players that no-one else will touch with a barge pole.

I don’t think he needs telling where we are going to come up short. He is probably frustrated to hell that he really can’t bring in the players he needs because he can’t unload the dead wood.

Whether we like it or not, it’s highly unlikely that with half the budget blown on players he really doesn’t want, then making the proverbial silk purse out of a sow’s ear is one helluva ask.

Spot on. It seems like whatever budget he had has went on the backline and got guys in who know how to defend allied to a rejuvenated McKay. Obviously still weak links like Williamson, and got an experienced head in the middle of the park in McGinn. Sadly that's where it ends. 

So we learned absolutely nothing from that today. Defensively we are much improved and seem to have guys who actually want to keep the ball out the net. Attacking wise we are minging. A new RB, attacking midfielder and a striker needed urgently. IMO 3 good additions gives us every chance tho. 
Raith will swap you Dylan Easton for a centre have after McGlynn spunked this seasons budget.

Coming in from a Mo fan perspective,  not to gloat or pi$$ take, but try and give a view from the other side. For a full time team who hope to push for the league, I thought Falkirk were very poor. Simple 10 yard passes were going straight to Mo players. You had a few scary moments (from our point of view) but very little threat up front. Defensively quite solid and a few have given Donaldson MOM. How he managed to escape a yellow card is a mystery. He was hacking at anyone who went near him.

As I said, I'm not here to gloat but to give an oppositions point of view. I know we're no world beaters but on that display, I'd be very surprised if Falkirk are serious title contenders. 

37 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

Coming in from a Mo fan perspective,  not to gloat or pi$$ take, but try and give a view from the other side. For a full time team who hope to push for the league, I thought Falkirk were very poor. Simple 10 yard passes were going straight to Mo players. You had a few scary moments (from our point of view) but very little threat up front. Defensively quite solid and a few have given Donaldson MOM. How he managed to escape a yellow card is a mystery. He was hacking at anyone who went near him.

As I said, I'm not here to gloat but to give an oppositions point of view. I know we're no world beaters but on that display, I'd be very surprised if Falkirk are serious title contenders. 

I don’t think anyone should be saying who will/won’t be title contenders after match day 1. Are queens not title contenders now after getting pumped by one of the so called weaker teams in the division? We went to Cove on the opening day last year and out played them for large parts with a covid depleted team. I said then they wouldn’t be anywhere near the title after that. Look how wrong I was. Nothing is won or lost in July. 

9 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

We can't really complain as Raith fans did tell us McGlynn does struggle to recruit a decent striker.

52 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Nothing is won or lost in July. 

We have had a few fans on here coming out with "in McGlynn we trust" or words to that effect. Well, he needs to start earning that trust now. He presumably knew what our squad was like and and what their contract situations were before he signed up. I am assuming that he also knew what his playing budget was going to be. He now needs to use his experience and contacts to wheel and deal and get shot of the dross and bring in better. 

While the league isn't won or lost in July, it could well be lost in August / September.

Over to you, Mr. McGlynn.

Keeping a level head on our overall performance and deliberately didn’t post until the alcohol thinned.

Defensively we have improved and thought Donaldson was excellent after little game time. Yeats covered every blade of grass and McGynn strolled it, but early booking took shine off. 
Thought Montrose played to there strengths, as obviously allowed Morrison as much time on the ball as he’s got absolutely no end product.

Concerns and everyone at the ground could see, is that Williamson Hetherington Nesbitt are not good enough, Morrison (again) was absolutely honking and our front two not that great.

”In M&S we trust” - Yes we need to, but as commented and if our aspirations are top four, there needs to be some critical wheeling and dealing before the transfer window closes. 

Edited by Springfield

4 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

We have had a few fans on here coming out with "in McGlynn we trust" or words to that effect. Well, he needs to start earning that trust now. He presumably knew what our squad was like and and what their contract situations were before he signed up. I am assuming that he also knew what his playing budget was going to be. He now needs to use his experience and contacts to wheel and deal and get shot of the dross and bring in better. 

While the league isn't won or lost in July, it could well be lost in August / September.

Over to you, Mr. McGlynn.

Holly f**k. We have just come off just about the worst season in living memory and you come out with this shite. 
The players who are not up to it are all Holt’s and Sheerin’s duds and it showed yesterday. Nesbitt, Hetherington, Williamson the three main culprits. Add Morrison to the mix who Holt gave a two year extended contract last autumn and everyone can see what McGlynn’s challenge is. 
Cut the guy some slack FFS. He has brought in upgrades PJ, MacKie, Donaldson, Henderson, McGinn, Oliver and Yeats. Jury out on the striker but we have not seen enough of him to judge. He has even got a turn out of MCKay. 
I spoke briefly to McGlynn outside the stadium yesterday and he knows what still has to be fixed. 

49 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Where did I suggest otherwise?

It’s the needs to start earning the trust garbage that irritates. He has already brought in 7 that have improved us. We would have lost easily yesterday with last seasons squad, easily. 
He knows what he needs to sort it and I am confident he will sort it, maybe not this window fully but certainly given time he will. 

Guest Ecosse83

Personally I think we are 2 or 3 attacking players away from being a decent team which Mcglynn will know himself. 

Hopefully the players calm down next week and find a wee bit more composure to do the simple things better. I like how Mcginn absolutely ripped into the goalie for just aimlessly punting the ball up the pitch! 

9 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Personally I think we are 2 or 3 attacking players away from being a decent team which Mcglynn will know himself. 

Hopefully the players calm down next week and find a wee bit more composure to do the simple things better. I like how Mcginn absolutely ripped into the goalie for just aimlessly punting the ball up the pitch! 

He also roasted Morrison for giving the ball away in the first half and not making any effort to make up for the mistake. He is a real leader