The Falkirk FC Thread

My own personal example of volunteering at the club (back in 2011-2013) was that I absolutely loved helping my club, when otherwise at that time, the work would just not have got done. As BB said, the day to day staff appreciate every bit of support going and they do, however where I got frustrated was being asked to do more and more, eating into the day job/family time. You weren’t seen as a volunteer, you were quickly seen as being dependent upon. 

Having volunteered about 15-20hrs on average per week at one point - on top of the day job & a family - I was given “feedback” from the then chairman that he was disappointed I couldn’t attend a board meeting to deliver an update (I wasn’t anywhere near a board position by the way) due to working away that week. 

I lost it tbh and left a strongly worded but polite voicemail on his phone & an email. I got zero reply to both. The taste it left was a little bitter but didn’t take away the passion for my team. I walked away feeling I had made a difference & brought money into the football club. The club eBay store alone brought in over £20k in a short period of time and the retro shirts (Hummel & Spall tops) flew off the shelves. 

I have no doubt that such “feedback” wouldn’t be given now by the new board or CEO however. Great to hear that the players, staff and volunteers all got together last Saturday too before the season starts. 

My opinion on volunteers is the same with Falkirk FC, as it is in any profitable business. If someone does work that is essential, or creates money for the business, then that person should be paid. 

The difference may be if someone offers to volunteer to gain experience. I had to do that many times when starting out in my line of work, which included filming matches for Falkirk in the early days of Falkirk TV. It can be an essential route to employment however you have to make sure you are getting the relevant experience you require to gain paid work elsewhere. 

If people are happy to do it for the sheer enjoyment then great but it definitely should be noted the value they add and how difficult it will be to replace them.

9 minutes ago, Trump said:

A new head of youth development announced, good. But the last photo of him with the disgustingly dirty seats around him isn’t a good look.

Whilst we are back on track on the pitch, the website fiasco and this shows we’ve still got a long way to go.

I see we're now blaming the club for our planet revolving around a great big fucking ball of flaming hydrogen, and it's effects on exposed plastic products. 

Board must do more.

1 minute ago, badgerthewitness said:

I see we're now blaming the club for our planet revolving around a great big fucking ball of flaming hydrogen, and it's effects on exposed plastic products. 

Board must do more.

His user name is maybe synonymous with scepticism 

5 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Any striker rumours apart from Royal Mail & Railtrack

Nothing, all we've had is the Dundee United fan coming on here to say we're one of the clubs interested in Mochrie. I doubt we'll be in a rush to get them in for the Montrose game. Especially as we have until the end of September to make loan signings.

Does anyone know if Kennedy's been sent back to Rangers? Or are we just keeping him until he's recovered from his injury?

8 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Does anyone know if Kennedy's been sent back to Rangers? Or are we just keeping him until he's recovered from his injury?

Id guess Kennedy will be still here. 4-8 weeks the recovery time which isn't obviously ideal but its not classed as a serious injury, Williamson will be out for longer during the season 😶

Thought I saw someone post about us being interested in a player from Middlesbrough? Tbh I'd happily take Mochrie and if it is a target man type striker we are looking at then the only one who I can think of is Innes Cameron at Killie but I think he'll feature for them this season. 

1 hour ago, Trump said:

A new head of youth development announced, good. But the last photo of him with the disgustingly dirty seats around him isn’t a good look.

Whilst we are back on track on the pitch, the website fiasco and this shows we’ve still got a long way to go.

The website “fiasco” ……really?!  😂😂😂 🤦‍♂️ 

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

If you get the chance pop over to the website, it's absolutely outstanding!

Fixtures working.... players page still honking ! 1876 Club winners stuck on February...nothing since !

Still a wee bit work to do :)

8 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Fixtures working.... players page still honking ! 1876 Club winners stuck on February...nothing since !

The players page will presumably be updated when the new headshots are done. The timing of that is entirely up to the manager; Houstie didn't usually do it until well into August when he felt his squad was complete. 

The individual headshots are pencilled in for later this week though that could change as it's already been rescheduled a couple of times. 

50 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Aye, I jumped the gun there. My heart sank when I realised that we don't have a photie of Aiden Nesbitt yet.

9 minutes ago, some_guy said:

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/fixtures/

I see the fixtures have been sorted on the site which I reckon actually looks pretty good now, shall we start a sweep on what the fussbudgets on here are gonna complain about next?

Apart from the date at the top of each fixture. Would have preferred the date to be more visible/standout, not a complaint just an observation. 

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Id guess Kennedy will be still here. 4-8 weeks the recovery time which isn't obviously ideal but its not classed as a serious injury, Williamson will be out for longer during the season 😶

Agree with Williamson, I'd have sent Kennedy back though or at least re visit it if he gets fit without any setbacks and McGlynn still wants him,  4-8 weeks without a player in an area of the park that may have made a difference and he's not ours. Get someone else in that's healthy. 

Edited by ebobsboy

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Given the enormous turnover of players and coaching staff in our league, it’s impossible to predict with any degree of certainty who will finish where. What, based on facts, I will predict is that we will concede less goals than last season.

Lets not get carried away 8 - 10 games in is when we will have an idea of where we stand against our rivals many who have new squads as well.

Positives: Better organised and certainly motivated on the pitch.

Negatives: Who scores the goals 

Summary: Nobody is going to run away with the league not one team has an outstanding squad its going to be a long tough season.

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Lets not get carried away 8 - 10 games in is when we will have an idea of where we stand against our rivals many who have new squads as well.

Positives: Better organised and certainly motivated on the pitch.

Negatives: Who scores the goals 

Summary: Nobody is going to run away with the league not one team has an outstanding squad its going to be a long tough season.

I actually think QoS might be ones to watch. Gibson had them playing decent stuff last season by all accounts despite them getting relegated.