The Falkirk FC Thread

Whilst I still think we need more than a couple of players in, if the cup money helps gets an extra body through the door all well n good. On a side note it's a pity clubs rarely swap players nowadays. Jefferies was a dab hand at player swaps or player plus cash deals. Mostly for the benefit of the club he was at, get rid of the shite bring better in. 

49 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Correct, he’s done. Been said a few times, has a successful business outside football, and many offers which he’s continually knocked back to play in the north. 

He certainly looked done when he played for Peterhead but he was the top scorer in the league last season with cove. Wonder if he'll maybe move back to Peterhead.

7 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Due to your closeness to the board can we all assume that you volunteer at the club? I will be absolutely delighted if your answer is "yes" and fair play to you.

Well I don’t live in Falkirk (250 miles away) however I have done some bits and bobs to help where and when I can since the new Board took over. 

The 'Can't you volunteer and fix it?' is always an interesting one.

Could I sort our website? Yes, it's sort of in my line of work.

Do I want to spend time out of work doing unpaid things I do in work? Hell no. 

We also have a history of treating our volunteers shockingly and taking advantage of their goodwill to essentially get paid jobs done for free.

I'm sure the website will be sorted at some point. One of the great things about digital architecture is that it's (like payments) made what was difficult really easy for the end user.

34 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

The 'Can't you volunteer and fix it?' is always an interesting one.

Could I sort our website? Yes, it's sort of in my line of work.

Do I want to spend time out of work doing unpaid things I do in work? Hell no. 

We also have a history of treating our volunteers shockingly and taking advantage of their goodwill to essentially get paid jobs done for free.

I'm sure the website will be sorted at some point. One of the great things about digital architecture is that it's (like payments) made what was difficult really easy for the end user.

I’ve said many times whether it be season tickets or volunteer work. Never forget that falkirk fc are a business and not a charity. Sure they don’t make big profits but they should in no way be seen as something we have a moral duty to support. 

12 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I’ve said many times whether it be season tickets or volunteer work. Never forget that falkirk fc are a business and not a charity. Sure they don’t make big profits but they should in no way be seen as something we have a moral duty to support. 

Absolutely, it`s a decision you`ve got to be happy to take. I got involved after we went into administration in the Brockville days and it snowballed from there. Finally retired after the Cup final v Inverness. On a personal note I was and still am very well treated by the Club for the work put in over these years but accept there are others who have had a different experience.

Guest FFC1965

I've volunteered in a couple of organisations over the years lending some time on a fairly niche professional subject.  It does present something of a dilemma.  

I found a useful test was to try and establish what would happen if I wasn't willing to do the work voluntarily.  The answer is most likely to be either (a) "the organisation would have to pay somebody to do this" (which could be by employing somebody or paying a 3rd party for their services) or (b) "the work just wouldn't get done".  There might be other outcomes that I've not considered of course.   

If the answer is (a) then the organisation should be paying somebody the going rate to do it, as a volunteer is effectively taking denying somebody else an income.     

If the answer is (b) then I see no reason why somebody shouldn't do it on a voluntary basis. 

Of course there is a fine line between the two scenarios (I gave up my first voluntary role as it became clear that a scenario Id understood as a "b" soon became very squarely an "a").   If I ever volunteered again Id definitely agree to do it only on a time limited basis.  

My impression is that football clubs generally have a bad habit of paying way over the odds for duds in certain roles (Holt would be the most recent poster boy in this respect) and take the piss out of low paid folk & volunteers in other aspects of their business. 

Definitely an area where "proceed with caution" is sensible.      

Edited by FFC1965

McGinn and Mackie the pick of our new signings without a doubt.  As others have said though we're completely toothless up top.  

On the basis of the games so far, I think we won't lose many at home and we won't win many away. 

A positive is we look far more solid - on the other hand we looked pretty good (better even?) at this time last year and look how that turned out.  Will feel much more relaxed about the season once we have a few league games under our belt and hopefully a few wins.  

At the moment though, all things considered,  I think we're in line for 3rd or 4th this year - we need to improve.  

19 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

McGinn and Mackie the pick of our new signings without a doubt.  As others have said though we're completely toothless up top.  

On the basis of the games so far, I think we won't lose many at home and we won't win many away. 

A positive is we look far more solid - on the other hand we looked pretty good (better even?) at this time last year and look how that turned out.  Will feel much more relaxed about the season once we have a few league games under our belt and hopefully a few wins.  

At the moment though, all things considered,  I think we're in line for 3rd or 4th this year - we need to improve.  

I don't think we'll lose many full stop to be honest. It's how many draws we can turn into wins that will be the real issue.

1 hour ago, Jackie Myles said:

I don't think we'll lose many full stop to be honest. It's how many draws we can turn into wins that will be the real issue.

Saturday was my first game back since the lockdown. The free kick was top drawer but as the second half went on I often found myself wondering “ where the f**k are the goals going to come from”  

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

All depends on front line recruitment. As things stand, we will be seeing lots and lots of 1-0 wins, 0-0 and 1-1 draws, and 0-1 defeats.

3 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Exactly where I think we'll end up - so it's Queens to lose then?

We are not a great watch. However McGlynn has sorted the back door (even without his first choice CH’s) and the CM defensively which buys him time to sort things further forward. 
To say we were better last season is for the birds. We beat Albion Rovers, lost to Hamilton and then COVID hit. 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Given the enormous turnover of players and coaching staff in our league, it’s impossible to predict with any degree of certainty who will finish where. What, based on facts, I will predict is that we will concede less goals than last season.

2 hours ago, FFC1965 said:

I've volunteered in a couple of organisations over the years lending some time on a fairly niche professional subject.  It does present something of a dilemma.  

I found a useful test was to try and establish what would happen if I wasn't willing to do the work voluntarily.  The answer is most likely to be either (a) "the organisation would have to pay somebody to do this" (which could be by employing somebody or paying a 3rd party for their services) or (b) "the work just wouldn't get done".  There might be other outcomes that I've not considered of course.   

If the answer is (a) then the organisation should be paying somebody the going rate to do it, as a volunteer is effectively taking denying somebody else an income.     

If the answer is (b) then I see no reason why somebody shouldn't do it on a voluntary basis.      

In my case I would say there's also a (c) option - the club would have no difficulty replacing me, but would be unlikely to get the same quality of work from my replacement.

Not because of any talent I have, but because I'm fortunate enough that I’ve been able to buy expensive equipment which may be out the reach of others with different personal circumstances. The equipment plays a large part in work quality and the club would accept that as long as they get something useable from whoever eventually follows me.

As for treatment of volunteers, I can honestly say that in thirteen years I’ve never been treated with anything other than appreciation and courtesy by (almost) every director and staff member I’ve met. The exception being one former manager who was an odious little wankstain and he’s long gone.

For me the key to enjoying your experience as a volunteer is to have a passion for what you’re doing. Most of the issues I’ve read around volunteers seems to be that some don’t feel appreciated, valued or thanked for what they do. While still being asked to do more and more.

If you go in as a volunteer expecting to be loved, then you may end up disappointed, depending on who you work with / for.

If you go in as a volunteer loving what you do, then other people don’t matter. That’s me. They could ignore me completely but as long as they gave me access to the pitchside and left me in peace for 90 minutes I’d be happy.

19 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

In my case I would say there's also a (c) option - the club would have no difficulty replacing me, but would be unlikely to get the same quality of work from my replacement.

Not because of any talent I have, but because I'm fortunate enough that I’ve been able to buy expensive equipment which may be out the reach of others with different personal circumstances. The equipment plays a large part in work quality and the club would accept that as long as they get something useable from whoever eventually follows me.

As for treatment of volunteers, I can honestly say that in thirteen years I’ve never been treated with anything other than appreciation and courtesy by (almost) every director and staff member I’ve met. The exception being one former manager who was an odious little wankstain and he’s long gone.

For me the key to enjoying your experience as a volunteer is to have a passion for what you’re doing. Most of the issues I’ve read around volunteers seems to be that some don’t feel appreciated, valued or thanked for what they do. While still being asked to do more and more.

If you go in as a volunteer expecting to be loved, then you may end up disappointed, depending on who you work with / for.

If you go in as a volunteer loving what you do, then other people don’t matter. That’s me. They could ignore me completely but as long as they gave me access to the pitchside and left me in peace for 90 minutes I’d be happy.

My problem I had with the previous board was when we asked for a bit a of help whilst trying to set up a fans v legends game to try and help Gordon McFarlane who as most folk know was a legendary volunteer at the club for many a year.

We were refused any help and the club only helped out a few months later by donating the gate receipts of the Swansea gane to Big G's fund.

This really got my blood boiling as Gordon would have walked over hot coals to help the club and when most needed help they wouldn't help.

8 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My problem I had with the previous board was when we asked for a bit a of help whilst trying to set up a fans v legends game to try and help Gordon McFarlane who as most folk know was a legendary volunteer at the club for many a year.

We were refused any help and the club only helped out a few months later by donating the gate receipts of the Swansea gane to Big G's fund.

This really got my blood boiling as Gordon would have walked over hot coals to help the club and when most needed help they wouldn't help.

Hopefully with boards being fan-led from now on those days are over.