The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Brockvillenomore
7 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

I have to agree with the last few posts. We’ve had people suggesting you can’t ask a question unless you attended a meet the board/manager night, you can’t criticise an organisation you are not a part of and you can’t call something out for being pish unless you are going to take the job on yourself 🤯.

We are making massive improvements but that mentality can get tae f**k. 

Asking questions here is an echo chamber, so why ask when there is no reasonable expectation of an answer. 

There are now forums and opportunities to reach out to the decision makers at the club and maybe get an answer.

It’s reasonable to observe that P&B is not the best place to have informed or balanced debate, or drive change and improvement. 

Edited by Brockvillenomore

19 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Absolutely this. Oliver and Alegria have played a total of 4 games combined for us with the later playing under 30 mins. We can’t just expect everything to click into place immediately and need to be patient.

McGlynn has confirmed he’s building from the back and our defence looks very good so far.

The next game will be a good yardstick for us as Montrose we’re much better than us last season.

Exactly this, he is building a solid foundation, if we don’t lose many goals then there is always a chance of nicking one at the other end and winning 1-0. Last season we couldn’t score but we couldn’t defend either so we lost too many games, he’s defo addressed the latter.

Still think he is hamstrung by having too many of the diddy Holts duff buys. If he had a clean slate our squad would be better but he appears to be getting the best out of the likes of McKay, McCann, Hetherington etc, Williamson however I’m not so sure.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

3 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

Asking questions here is an echo chamber, so why ask here when there is no reasonable expectation of an answer. 

There are now forums and opportunities to reach out to the decision makers at the club and maybe get an answer.

It’s reasonable to observe that P&B is not the best place to have informed or balanced debate, or drive change and improvement. 

Exactly.We've now got perhaps the most accessible bod we've had in our history so there's no reason why people can't ask them questions or pass on their concerns to these guys . Your not going to get the answers you want on here I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Exactly this, he is building a solid foundation, if we don’t lose many then there is always a chance of nicking one at the other hand and winning 1-0. Last season we couldn’t score but we couldn’t defend either so we lost too many games, he’s defo addressed the latter.

Still think he is hamstrung by having too many of the diddy Holts duff buys. If he had a clean slate our squad would be better but he appears to be getting the best out of the likes of McKay, McCann, Hetherington etc, Williamson however I’m not so sure.

If we could get the likes of mochrie in that would free up years to play right back if we're struggling to get hold of a decent right full back.

No point in him continuing to play at that level and he's exactly the sort of player we need. I'd hope we're at least asking the question about taking him on loan (although I'd imagine he'd have plenty options in the Championship).

Guest FFC1965

Decent performance and result, albeit that it didnt set the pulse racing.

Very heartening to see some of last seasons players doing well - particularly McKay, Hetherington, McGuffie & McCann.  Majority of our new signings are major upgrades too - McGinn and Mackie in particular look like Rolls Royces and Yeats is a promising young un.  Donaldson did well enough in the 45 he played.  I thought Oliver did OK, though he is clearly more of a maker of chances than a taker of chances.  GK had so little to do it was hard to discern very much.  

Probably the only player who had a poor game imho was Williamson.  He won L1 with Partick in 2020/2021 but to me he just looks like he lacks awareness of where he is on then pitch,  He has pace but has a terrible touch, even after he has seemingly got the ball under control.    

Still - 0 goals conceded from open play in 4 games against Hibs, Morton, Clyde and Bonnyrigg.   The game today reminded me of how we played under Houstie - it wasn't hugely exciting but we tended to win.  Id wager that a good proportion of our home league games this season will be like today.  And that's OK with me, Id far prefer a dull 1-0 win than watching us pretty much knowing for sure that the away team will probably score.  Nice to see us score a set piece two weeks running as well - getting different kinds of goals is always useful,   

Who do we want in the next round folks. Part of me says a home draw against a team we have a chance of beating,  but the sensible part of me says an away tie against either of the ugly sisters so we can milk this money cow for all it’s worth.

2 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Seen a lot of people mention the extra money we will get from progressing in the cup and how that should get giving to Mcglynn. Even though I would love for Mcglynn to be given the extra funds aren’t we all forgetting the statements put out by the board at the start of the season staying that we need to raise an extra £200,000-£300,000 this year. Surely the money from the ‘cup run’ will be used to offset our deficit. 

Surely the best way to deal with the deficit is to get out of this league and I would say we are at least a couple of good signings away from being able to achieve that so investing in the team should be the priority.

As for today Clyde were better than I expected but with a couple of early exceptions we totally dominated play.

We won’t lose many goals this season but obviously still short up front.

Will be interesting to see how Alegria  develops let’s hope he gets an early goal and kicks on from there.

Williamson will never make a full back, useful going forward but simply incapable of defending, clearly the weak link in the defence.

Plenty of effort from Morrison but end product usually wasteful and I can’t see that improving.

Actually feel a wee bit sorry for Wilson tries like a bear but simply way out of his depth, should be having a word with our tenants the Shire with a view to loaning him out.

In summary we are in much better shape than we were a couple of months ago but are clearly still a work in progress.

Guest FFC1965
7 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Who do we want in the next round folks. Part of me says a home draw against a team we have a chance of beating,  but the sensible part of me says an away tie against either of the ugly sisters so we can milk this money cow for all it’s worth.

Arbroath away. A game we can win and maybe they'll order enough pies this time! 

Guest Brockvillenomore
8 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Surely the best way to deal with the deficit is to get out of this league and I would say we are at least a couple of good signings away from being able to achieve that so investing in the team should be the priority.

As for today Clyde were better than I expected but with a couple of early exceptions we totally dominated play.

We won’t lose many goals this season but obviously still short up front.

Will be interesting to see how Alegria  develops let’s hope he gets an early goal and kicks on from there.

Williamson will never make a full back, useful going forward but simply incapable of defending, clearly the weak link in the defence.

Plenty of effort from Morrison but end product usually wasteful and I can’t see that improving.

Actually feel a wee bit sorry for Wilson tries like a bear but simply way out of his depth, should be having a word with our tenants the Shire with a view to loaning him out.

In summary we are in much better shape than we were a couple of months ago but are clearly still a work in progress.

Sorry to say running with a “deficit” means you spend more than you earn and eventually you run out of cash. That’s the dynamic I’m afraid. Spending more money than you have means borrowing or heaven help us worse.

1 minute ago, Brockvillenomore said:

Sorry to say running with a “deficit” means you spend more than you earn and eventually you run out of cash. That’s the dynamic I’m afraid. Spending more money than you have means borrowing or heaven help us worse.

Well aware what running a defect means and there is no way we will generate the income to clear that deficit whilst in this league.

It's bonus cash that won't have been factored into the financial plan for this season. Wed obviously hoped to move on a few more players too but that hasn't happened so I'm sure the bod will know that John and Paul need a bit more in the budget to get us in a position for challenging this season.

Guest Brockvillenomore
14 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Well aware what running a defect means and there is no way we will generate the income to clear that deficit whilst in this league.

The solution is not to run out of money, it would be 1998 all over again. The club can only live within the budget and achievable revenue numbers, while watching costs. This is what the board told us they’ve done. 

You’ve summed up the dilemma the club has faced since we got relegated, irrespective of the division we’ve been in. 

Last season was the chance. £750k in the bank and the opportunity to build a decent squad from scratch. A lost opportunity 

Couldn’t be more chuffed that we’ve topped that group. Well deserved from front to back in the team, the management, off field staff & the fans. Feels like their is a togetherness coming again. Let’s hope this is our season, every faith in McGlynn.