The Falkirk FC Thread

Thought I’d join in on the grand website debate. In the great scheme of things, what’s on the park comes first……but the website is the public face of all things related to official FFC stuff. Irrespective of an “international”audience or simply local fans looking for info.

At the moment, it’s a disaster area and something that should and could easily be rectified. As an example, shirt sponsors should be able to see their names against the players they have paid for. This is part of the sponsorship package. Putting fixtures up is the simplest of things. All in all it doesn’t reflect well on the Admin side of the club.

It may not be a football playing related issue, but it’s still a significant part of advertising the professionalism of the club.

It’s actually not even as complex as searching for fixtures specifically. If you just google search ‘Falkirk’ it links you straight to Falkirk FC and the fixtures pop up within a second.
We’re certainly not missing out on ticket income from international visitors because the website isn’t updated, put it that way.

Agreed but it's likely a 20 minute fix on the website, could add a Google calendar link or something to help fans track games easier. Just seems amateurish to not have them updated rather than anything too dramatic. Bigger fish to fry but it's something quite easy to fix.

11 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Fair play for the admission; I couldn’t remember who it was.

I don’t know anything about local youth football other than watching the kids that Falkirk sign, but some of the stuff I saw under IF last season was superb. Pearse Carroll was always the pick of the bunch but there were others that weren’t far behind him.

I’m obviously just a fan and not a coach or an expert, but I reckon Scott Honeyman has a chance.  

From last seasons Development Squads; two players signed for Airdrie and have already played for the first team; two signed for Alloa with one starting for their first team; and Pearse Carroll, Kyle Connolly and Scott Honeyman have signed/been part of our first team squad.

Not exactly Dawson Park level.

9 minutes ago, Elvis Baptie said:

From last seasons Development Squads; two players signed for Airdrie and have already played for the first team; two signed for Alloa with one starting for their first team; and Pearse Carroll, Kyle Connolly and Scott Honeyman have signed/been part of our first team squad.

Not exactly Dawson Park level.

I know about Kyan Gunn going to Airdrie as one of their fans tagged me into a post and asked me what I thought of him. 

Who are the others? I know who's missing from our teams, but not where they went. 

Guest Brockvillenomore

I think anybody can see that the website isn’t great and needs updating. 
If you are on Twitter Jamie Swinney’s response are always honest and helpful. Two recent ones spring to mind, on the website debate (upgrade incoming next week and an explanation for the delay) and another on the Brockville Bar being booked for a function tonight that will see the players, staff and volunteers getting together. Presumably with a drink or two.  Good to see. This is on top of the squad and football staff in Behind The Wall last Saturday night for a meal AND John / Paul’s presentation / q and a on Thursday night which I thought was excellent and like Jamie’s tweets honest and  unvarnished. 

These are all behaviours that, to me at least, are positive and different, if supported and embraced will help us all pull together and leave the last 4 / 5 years in the dust bin of history. 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

If it is that bad and you know what needs to be done to fix it why don’t you volunteer to do it? 

We are sponsored by the company who produced it for us and it's been in operation since 2018 at least.

I'd happily do an afternoon but we employ comms staff and have a managed service for that reason i.e. I shouldn't have to in an area of the club staffed accordingly!

Some of the enhancements aside It's not unreasonable to expect that club staff would know how to operate it by now (not to mention proof read posts before publicising).

I'll take at face value there may be some technical issues behind it but in the main I don't think it's a case of a major fix that's required - it's basics whether it's all-singing-and-dancing or not.

Evolution not revolution!

As always @Back Post Misses your keen to shoot the messenger(s) rather than see an opportunity for improvement. 

What has become evident is there are a lot of fans on here who have a very top down or bottom up view of the club and can't see that the bits in-between are just as important.to getting us out the hole were in.

I won't be posting on the matter again.

6 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

It's not unreasonable to expect that club staff would know how to operate it by now (not to mention proof read posts before publicising).

Over the years, most people who've attacked the club have directed their ire either at those at the very top, such as BOD, CEO or MSG, or those involved in the football side, such as players and managers. 

Your posts are somewhat different. I'm reading between the lines here and may be completely wrong, but it seems that your sights are set on the two media staff. You make a lot of assumptions about their work and the systems they use. Most of those assumptions are completely wrong. 

Some are fair, such as the typos, which they admit to if you speak to them in person.  But you place so much focus on an issue that many would consider minor that it almost suggests a personal agenda. 

As I say, I could be completely wrong but that's the inference I'm taking from your many posts on the subject. 

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Over the years, most people who've attacked the club have directed their ire either at those at the very top, such as BOD, CEO or MSG, or those involved in the football side, such as players and managers. 

Your posts are somewhat different. I'm reading between the lines here and may be completely wrong, but it seems that your sights are set on the two media staff. You make a lot of assumptions about their work and the systems they use. Most of those assumptions are completely wrong. 

Some are fair, such as the typos, which they admit to if you speak to them in person.  But you place so much focus on an issue that many would consider minor that it almost suggests a personal agenda. 

As I say, I could be completely wrong but that's the inference I'm taking from your many posts on the subject. 

Apologies to them if reading and to anyone who's inferred that.

It's not personal at all and they are just my observations albeit from the outside looking in. 

I don't want anyone sacked or dragged through the streets - I just want improvement.

5 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I just want improvement.

I think you'll get it. There are some system issues which I don't want to go into as it might taken as a criticism of a sponsor, but those will be resolved. Even Rolls Royces break down occasional and FFC have been more akin to a Lada in recent years. 

With some focus being placed on human error I suspect the guys will be a little more detail-orientated in future. I don't want to say any more as they're my friends and might shout at me for talking about them on a public forum. They do a lot more than they get paid for but everyone makes mistakes. 

Hopefully the football today will give us something more positive to talk about. 

On today I'd be whacking Callumn Morrison upfront, let him run wild against the back two of Brian Mclean and Peter Grant. Quite interested to see how Rodden is for Clyde, I'm sure we had someone on here or the COYB page wanting us to sign him last season having watched him for the shire.

Morrison
Williamson Donaldson Mackie Mccann
McGinn Hetherington
Mcguffie Yeats Oliver
Morrison

30 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I don’t think Blame Me has his “sights set” on anyone. He’s just calling it exactly as he, and I, see it.

Feedback about how social media posts shouldn’t have glaring errors in a large whack of posts should be welcomed - some of the responses to him make it seem like no feedback is welcome (a signature of the old regime and something that is the opposite of what we should be aiming for) 

28 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Apologies to them if reading and to anyone who's inferred that.

It's not personal at all and they are just my observations albeit from the outside looking in. 

I don't want anyone sacked or dragged through the streets - I just want improvement.

Your posts never inferred that imo. Providing feedback that proof reading is maybe a very good starting point to social media posts is helpful, nothing more. 

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I know about Kyan Gunn going to Airdrie as one of their fans tagged me into a post and asked me what I thought of him. 

Who are the others? I know who's missing from our teams, but not where they went. 

Ally Spalding to Airdire; Paul McLaren and Luke Rankin to Alloa

40 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The website's a WordPress website - a CMS used by about 43% the internet. I'd suspect that the Clyde post was duplicated from the Bonnyrigg article hence the spurious map footer, I've been guilty of similar errors myself. But there's off the shelf tools to manage fixtures, etc that are free. HOWEVER you can add a HTML list of fixtures to a wordpress page, very, very easily. You can even add the custom styling if your theme doesn't have suitable styling. 

There's a possibility that crunchy carrots were using an API that's broken and that fixture page is hardcoded in the wordpress content files while they looked for an alternative but even then it doesn't take long to remove a custom page and replace it. 

While it's a small thing, it definitely does show a lack of care and poor management, and probably missing skills from those in the media positions which again should be something that's covered by providing adequate training.

https://pagespeed.web.dev/report?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcrunchycarrots.co.uk%2F&form_factor=mobile Just out of interest, crunchycarrots own website does not work particularly well. So I don't blame too much for the state of falkirkfc.co.uk

Edited by LeodhasXD

Guest Caractacus Potts
22 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I don’t think Blame Me has his “sights set” on anyone. He’s just calling it exactly as he, and I, see it.

Feedback about how social media posts shouldn’t have glaring errors in a large whack of posts should be welcomed - some of the responses to him make it seem like no feedback is welcome (a signature of the old regime and something that is the opposite of what we should be aiming for) 

Agree with this too. Stopped posting as much, as any small criticism is jumped on. For anyone to suggest Blame Me has an agenda is bizarre. 

We all want the club to do well and there’s good reason to critique an area which continues to be overlooked. I was critical of it during the old regime so seems odd to not be as critical when the same faults still apply.

Jamie has been in post for a year now and although there have been improvements and good to see he is communicating with fans, all of the information should be on the website. It’s not a hard fix and see no point in getting a new website if it’s going to be equally abandoned.