The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Have the rules changed regarding Falkirk TV and watching overseas?

I am in Ireland and have been watching for years but this year it seems to have blocked me.

FAQ – Falkirk TV (falkirkfc.tv)

Falkirk TV is now only available to overseas subscribers (outwith UK and Ireland).

Edited by Blame Me

Would be interesting to see some stats on PPV during lockdown especially when it comes to games that are away from home.  

Is there a model for example where PPV is only available for season ticket holders of the away team (and organised by the away team) with revenue being split 50/50 between the home team and the away team? 

For example,  Montrose v Falkirk.  Falkirk TV is allowed to screen the game live to Falkirk Season Ticket Holders who pay £10 per game they view on PPV basis.  

A % of Falkirk fans would still go to the game regardless so Montrose would get that income.  Would 50% of the revenue from the Falkirk fans paying to view the match from home be more ££ for Montrose than they'd be getting this season for only the gate receipts? 

It seems daft that there is a potential PPV market who for whatever reason wouldn't make many away games but would still be prepared to put money into the game.  Could also encourage more season ticket sales to unlock this perk.   

I agree that home games shouldn't be available PPV hence the thinking behind only making away games available to season ticket holders (so in the example above, Montrose fans couldn't register and choose to watch online rather than going to their home game as only FFC ST holders could register for the PPV).  

53 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Im seeing that but why has it changed now and why single out Ireland?

24 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

All club TV channels are restricted again from this season.

Can only assume "domestic" is classified as UK and Ireland now whereas perhaps Ireland wasn't in whatever agreements exist. 

I’m probably talking through my arse, but I’m pretty sure I’ve previously read that when it comes to football broadcasting rights, the UK and Ireland are treated by the companies as the same collective market and therefore have the same laws/legislation/limits to showing games.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Would be interesting to see some stats on PPV during lockdown especially when it comes to games that are away from home.  

Is there a model for example where PPV is only available for season ticket holders of the away team (and organised by the away team) with revenue being split 50/50 between the home team and the away team? 

For example,  Montrose v Falkirk.  Falkirk TV is allowed to screen the game live to Falkirk Season Ticket Holders who pay £10 per game they view on PPV basis.  

A % of Falkirk fans would still go to the game regardless so Montrose would get that income.  Would 50% of the revenue from the Falkirk fans paying to view the match from home be more ££ for Montrose than they'd be getting this season for only the gate receipts? 

It seems daft that there is a potential PPV market who for whatever reason wouldn't make many away games but would still be prepared to put money into the game.  Could also encourage more season ticket sales to unlock this perk.   

I agree that home games shouldn't be available PPV hence the thinking behind only making away games available to season ticket holders (so in the example above, Montrose fans couldn't register and choose to watch online rather than going to their home game as only FFC ST holders could register for the PPV).  

It might even itself out financially, but id be against it purely because it would slaughter away crowds, and I dont want to see that home or away. 

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It might even itself out financially, but id be against it purely because it would slaughter away crowds, and I dont want to see that home or away. 

I don't think there is any substitute to being at a game. This is borne by the fact that we are one of the few places in Europe that enforces Article 48 and other nations still have travelling supports.

I imagine that it's been insisted on by Sky this time for unknown reasons and everyone has to kowtow because we can't risk the TV contracts. While Premier realise that their numbers won't be affected and give clubs free reign.

Also people who buy streaming are often those who are never going to attend in person as it is so purely an additional revenue stream.

I don't think there is any substitute to being at a game. This is borne by the fact that we are one of the few places in Europe that enforces Article 48 and other nations still have travelling supports.

I imagine that it's been insisted on by Sky this time for unknown reasons and everyone has to kowtow because we can't risk the TV contracts. While Premier realise that their numbers won't be affected and give clubs free reign.

Also people who buy streaming are often those who are never going to attend in person as it is so purely an additional revenue stream.
Bottom point hits nail on the head imo.

2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

The problem with prohibiting home games from PPV is blocking fans who are either unable to attend due to job, location (say over 250 miles) or condition (hospitalized, disabled, etc). There is certainly a cannibalization of attendance possible with PPV, but until someone really digs into the numbers from a large group of clubs pre, during, and post COVID, I don’t think anyone knows the facts. I think wider use of PPV would be a net good thing, but the argument won’t end until facts are available.

Edited by TxRover

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The problem with prohibiting home games from PPV is blocking fans who are either unable to attend due to job, location (say over 250 miles) or condition (hospitalized, disabled, etc). There is certainly a cannibalization of attendance possible with PPV, but until someone really digs into the numbers from a large group of clubs pre, during, and post COVID, I don’t think anyone knows the facts. I think wider use of PPV would be a net good thing, but the argument won’t end until facts are available.

Most people know how to get around this using common vpns  if they really want to.  I am just pointing this out - not encouraging. And they still pay for the ppv. :)

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

My opinion on who has performed best for us so far:

1) McCann, McGinn

2) Hetherington, Henderson, Yeats, Mackie

3) McKay,

4) Nesbitt, McGuffie

5) Oliver, PJ Morrison, Calumn Morrison

The rest.

Just reinforces the need for strikers.

50 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

1) McCann, McGinn

3) McKay,

4) Nesbitt, McGuffie

The rest.

Henderson in number 2 slot based on 53 minutes of play?

1 hour ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Most people know how to get around this using common vpns  if they really want to.  I am just pointing this out - not encouraging. And they still pay for the ppv. :)

Absolutely agree, which is why someone needs to take a serious looking into the numbers. The SPFL/SFL and its sponsors may not like expanded PPV, but the future is likely more broadcasting. That bei; said, that doesn’t in any way signal the end of attendance.

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

This is exactly the point. I’ll maybe see one or two Raith games in person at most on the next 10 years, but that’s simply because my location and schedule don’t permit otherwise. If I could, I’d much prefer in person viewing.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

1) McCann, McGinn

3) McKay,

4) Nesbitt, McGuffie

The rest.

McCann my mom on Tuesday it's one game tho, Hetherington had a better game but didn't see the wow that others seen, he nearly cost us a goal and personally think his control of the ball is a big weakness in his game , an improvement from last season but that doesn't say much. I wouldn't be adverse to having Henderson in CM for Wednesday to keep the same back four. McKay has been solid but has had blips of last season, not as horrific as last season yet. 

Yeats, PJ Morrison, Mcginn and Mackie the only ones I'd seriously highly praise so far but it's all far too early for that. Mackie was given very much hmmm ok rating when signed but has surpassed that, Yeats looks like he has been playing for years,defended better than Williamson in one game than he did all season 🙂

I'm guessing Williamson is either injured or maybe pushed to leave.

We need much more from Nesbitt, Morrison and Mcguffie, hopefully Kennedy offers competition.

It's a better start than most will have predicted but need to keep feet on the ground.

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

That's the thing. Watching from Ireland (republic) was never restricted before covid but now they are saying it is. Subscribing for 10+ years.

Might be that the service checking the IP range never flagged you before but the service has added/changed and now has you included. 

39 minutes ago, MrDust said:

McCann my mom on Tuesday it's one game tho, Hetherington had a better game but didn't see the wow that others seen, he nearly cost us a goal and personally think his control of the ball is a big weakness in his game , an improvement from last season but that doesn't say much. I wouldn't be adverse to having Henderson in CM for Wednesday to keep the same back four. McKay has been solid but has had blips of last season, not as horrific as last season yet. 

Yeats, PJ Morrison, Mcginn and Mackie the only ones I'd seriously highly praise so far but it's all far too early for that. Mackie was given very much hmmm ok rating when signed but has surpassed that, Yeats looks like he has been playing for years,defended better than Williamson in one game than he did all season 🙂

I'm guessing Williamson is either injured or maybe pushed to leave.

We need much more from Nesbitt, Morrison and Mcguffie, hopefully Kennedy offers competition.

It's a better start than most will have predicted but need to keep feet on the ground.

I'll hazard a guess and say Williamson is injured again, if he's not then as much as Yeats has filled in well at right back I think he's better in midfield. I'd still be looking to bring a right back in. 

2 hours ago, PetShopBairn said:

Henderson in number 2 slot based on 53 minutes of play?

Could only really base it on what players have done so far really though. I take your point but couldn't really have him any further down. 

Away ppv from places like Peterhead or Montrose etc is additional money from me as I wouldn't go but would buy stream. I'll maybe be at 3 to maybe 7 away games this season so the rest are losing money. If you want to go to away away games you'll go anyway, livestream gives others a chance to view. Like others have said the actual figures would be interesting, I can't see how the less central clubs like Stranraer, Elgin etc could possibly lose out