The Falkirk FC Thread

With regards to fan ownership is there any reason the club isn’t actively offering shares deals to fans? I know a few had the chance to buy some over a year ago but it didn’t appear to be widely advertised.  

Think the FSS is a great concept and hope more sign up but fan ownership can also be as simple as getting more fans to buy shares.

If we got 500 fans to buy £500 worth then that’s an extra £250,000 of investment to the club and another 625,000 shares held by fans. Likewise if you got 1,000 fans to buy £250 worth. 

The patrons done a brilliant job of creating a group of 20 odd people that created over £200,000 of new money and are represented by 2 positions on the board. Not many can afford a £10,000 buy in, however I’m sure many would pay similar in a different structure. We’re missing the third leg of the stool now with the Rawlins absent so is there room for another structure or would that cause too much chaos? 

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I thought Brad Mackay was OK when he was at the Pars tbh. Quite surprised he stunk the place out at your place but with a competent manager I can see him being decent this season.

He's only playing just now because of necessity, as soon as Donaldson is back he'll be warming the bench. 

Forgive me but it does seem like there is confusion as to the purpose of the FSS.
The contributions are to have more say in how the club is run and gain more involvement in the decision making - and future direction of the club - by buying shares. 
It's not to sustain the clubs cashflow as supporters are already doing that with season tickets, match tickets and retail alongside the wider sponsorship deals the club has.

The issue with this is there will be hundreds (thousands for a club like you) who are investing in a very small percentage of shares (I’m assuming it’s done via a lottery or something?). So if these people are expecting a say in the business then you end up with far too people involved. Additional issue is that the majority of them have an emotional tie to the club so hard to step back sometimes and see the bigger picture.

From my experience, these things are a very beneficial way of raising additional funds for the club whilst allowing the participants a chance to win an amount each month (and get some nice share certificates as a keepsake). It is not to allow the participants to get a say in how to run the club. As a shareholder, they also get invited to the AGM where they can ask questions of the board.

This method is actually a pretty good way to get people, who ordinarily don’t go to games and don’t have an emotional tie to the club, to donate money. Something like £20 a month with the chance to win some money each month plus a nice certificate of shares. Most of these people don’t want to sponsor a shirt or buy a season ticket.

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

Forgive me but it does seem like there is confusion as to the purpose of the FSS.

The contributions are to have more say in how the club is run and gain more involvement in the decision making - and future direction of the club - by buying shares. 

It's not to sustain the clubs cashflow as supporters are already doing that with season tickets, match tickets and retail alongside the wider sponsorship deals the club has.

I thought that was the case. Thanks for clearing that up.

10 minutes ago, Hampden Roar said:

It was a non story probably instigated by his agent to try and drum up interest.

Yep and people lapped it up as they are desperate to see us sign a proper striker. The new BOD need to give JM the cash to get a decent striker in as that’s the difference in this league as we all saw when we had McManus. Bet they’re regretting the huge amount of money wasted on Leigh Griffiths now. Damage is done now but we can’t afford (literally!) another mistake like that again. 

7 minutes ago, Sarah67 said:

Yep and people lapped it up as they are desperate to see us sign a proper striker. The new BOD need to give JM the cash to get a decent striker in as that’s the difference in this league as we all saw when we had McManus. Bet they’re regretting the huge amount of money wasted on Leigh Griffiths now. Damage is done now but we can’t afford (literally!) another mistake like that again. 

I don't think monies got anything to do with it, hardest position on the park to find is a goalscorer. Mind Holt went through 14 before landing on Wilson & Ompreon.

2 hours ago, Sarah67 said:

The thing is the BoD gave the money for Griffiths as the manager thought he was a decent striker.

Most of us welcomed the return of Rory Loy a few years back as our marquee signing, didn’t work out.

In the event that the current manager was given a pile of cash (hah!) to sign who  he thought was a decent striker there would be no guarantees that it would be a successful signing.

Every signing is a gamble to a certain extent.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

The issue with this is there will be hundreds (thousands for a club like you) who are investing in a very small percentage of shares (I’m assuming it’s done via a lottery or something?). So if these people are expecting a say in the business then you end up with far too people involved. Additional issue is that the majority of them have an emotional tie to the club so hard to step back sometimes and see the bigger picture.

From my experience, these things are a very beneficial way of raising additional funds for the club whilst allowing the participants a chance to win an amount each month (and get some nice share certificates as a keepsake). It is not to allow the participants to get a say in how to run the club. As a shareholder, they also get invited to the AGM where they can ask questions of the board.

This method is actually a pretty good way to get people, who ordinarily don’t go to games and don’t have an emotional tie to the club, to donate money. Something like £20 a month with the chance to win some money each month plus a nice certificate of shares. Most of these people don’t want to sponsor a shirt or buy a season ticket.

Just to clarify - it's the FSS who are buying the shares not individuals so collectively Falkirk fans have more say in how the club is ran rather than each fan having a say.

31 minutes ago, Sarah67 said:

You've probably answered your own point there.