The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I think that you are missing the point, the incentives / rewards being proposed are a way of interacting with and keeping FSS members engaged.

The low take up to date is probably more to do with a combination of wariness after the shambles of the past regimes and the hellish cost of living situation.

Its to be hoped that the encouraging take up of Season Tickets will lead to more coming on board with FSS.

No the incentives being discussed on here were a way to increase membership and draw people in.

Not having a go at the idea, I just don’t get those who are able to sign up but won’t do so until they are tempted in with a free raffle ticket or 10p off a can of tennents but there you go. 

24 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Struggling to get my head round the fact that people refuse to sign up to a scheme designed to support the club and inject cash on a monthly basis but would then be up for it if they suddenly had a 1 in 500 chance of winning a hospitality voucher. Missing the point I think 🤷🏼‍♂️

It is shit, but the feeling of missing out probably is the most effective way to encourage sign ups.

12 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I think that you are missing the point, the incentives / rewards being proposed are a way of interacting with and keeping FSS members engaged.

The low take up to date is probably more to do with a combination of wariness after the shambles of the past regimes and the hellish cost of living situation.

Its to be hoped that the encouraging take up of Season Tickets will lead to more coming on board with FSS.

FSS have c450 members. Morton double that but the cash coming on from both is approximately the same I understand. 
The FSS is minimum £10 so I guess Morton have a lower entry threshold. I wonder if that would help? 

6 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

No the incentives being discussed on here were a way to increase membership and draw people in.

Not having a go at the idea, I just don’t get those who are able to sign up but won’t do so until they are tempted in with a free raffle ticket or 10p off a can of tennents but there you go. 

What harm trying though?

It’s the best way forward we are all hoping. 460 members currently contributing circa £5250 per month into our club. It’s a great start but the more fans we get involved, the greater say & % of ownership we’ll all have in the club.

13,000 shares are being bought each month, which is brilliant and injecting some much needed cash into the club. This, as well as buying tickets/merchandise/sponsorship is the best way for us to ensure the club is able to be at its best for getting out of this league. 

7 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

FSS have c450 members. Morton double that but the cash coming on from both is approximately the same I understand. 
The FSS is minimum £10 so I guess Morton have a lower entry threshold. I wonder if that would help? 

Morton, Saints & Motherwell have lower starting amounts for junior members and those who are students/those with lower incomes. Up for review too as is a potential link with the Juniors Bairns as part of a future junior membership. Hopefully get a chat with Sarah & co soon. 

9 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Big difference with Morton was that they were basically going to go tits up without fans buy in to this. I'm sure if we were on the brink you'd have folk signing up left right and centre.  It's just the way fans are unfortunately.

I can't help but think shares split 50/50 half to member contributing half to FSS would help, people would feel like they own a piece of the club instead of just making a donation to a well meaning organisation but one with no guarantee it'll be successful in the long run and I say that as someone already a member and obviously hoping it's incredibly successful 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

One thing I have noticed, certainly with clubs like Kilmarnock, Partick and Morton is that the club themselves promote these supporters societies as being integral parts of those clubs.

I still feel like the FSS is seen as an arm's length organisation at the moment - a bit like the CI - except with the representation at board level. 

As it is, it's not even listed alongside other offshoots such as 1876 club, Business Bairns or Junior Bairns and it really should be in my view.

I appreciate the club has put out news articles but they will drop off over time if the society is quietly working away in the background. 

1 hour ago, knee jerk reaction said:

I can't help but think shares split 50/50 half to member contributing half to FSS would help, people would feel like they own a piece of the club instead of just making a donation to a well meaning organisation but one with no guarantee it'll be successful in the long run and I say that as someone already a member and obviously hoping it's incredibly successful 

Sorry read this after my post and this is along the lines of what I meant.

19 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Wealthy owners in Scotland aren't sustainable. Fan ownership is.

Even though we do have the highest percent of greeting faced basterts I've ever seen. It's better for us to own everything rather than an outsider. 

Sustainable perhaps, but it does reduce your ability to advance. 

I believe the St Mirren model had Gordon Scott and the Hearts model Ann Budge - we have no wealthy fan in the background in that kind of role. 

There's every chance we'll be in the seaside leagues a while longer - when we last won promotion from any division it was under Hughes. And it was because we spent more than the rest of the division.

I completely get the advantages of fan ownership and it doesn't mean we have a tiny budget due to our large home crowds but there's no denying that the best way to move back up the leagues in not that model. 

6 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Sustainable perhaps, but it does reduce your ability to advance. 

I believe the St Mirren model had Gordon Scott and the Hearts model Ann Budge - we have no wealthy fan in the background in that kind of role. 

There's every chance we'll be in the seaside leagues a while longer - when we last won promotion from any division it was under Hughes. And it was because we spent more than the rest of the division.

I completely get the advantages of fan ownership and it doesn't mean we have a tiny budget due to our large home crowds but there's no denying that the best way to move back up the leagues in not that model. 

I'd rather the club was ran correctly by people who will be here whether we're in the seaside leagues or champions league than shoot up to the Premiership in two seasons with a rich owner who at any moment could pull the plug.  

I get what you are saying I'd rather the club was here for the next 100 years than have a shot at glory for a couple seasons.

Edited by Senor Bairn

10 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

Premium Bonds. On the face of it a pretty shit investment but the main reason people do it is the faint chance of winning some proper cash.

I think you are right that tiny nothing prizes will attract no one but if there were say 50 season tickets every summer set aside for 12 monthly subscribers that might be a decent carrot.

Credit to everyone involved in FSS. Takes a lot of admin work to keep this thing running usually and you have to be accounting for the money raised. Tip of the hat to the organisers.

I'm pretty sure I remember that St Mirren worked out that the club needed 1000 monthly subscribers at £12 a pop to run. Presumably making some basic guesses on the number of STs you will have, commercial income etc.

Would be interesting to see what Falkirk's model, laid out simply, is. That could help too if fans knew that we needed say 900 FSS monthly subscribers to be completely self sustaining. Gives a target.

We need to set out something saying for each division (and I get a lot of this will be extractable from the accounts somewhere)

1) Cost of running the club Inc salaries, upkeep etc

2) Commercial income  ST sales, prize money etc 

3) Shortfall

Apologies if this has already been done but do we know how many monthly subscriptions are required to be completely break even?