The Falkirk FC Thread

13 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Certainly would be more preferable to me to eventually have the FSS directors as those outwith the patrons group. Makes sense to have a fan owned board with some representation of the wider fan base. Give it another year or so and I'll nominate myself.

Each to their own, but I’m against this false separation. Every board member is also an FSS member and, based on my interactions with them, utterly committed to seeing FSS work.

Patrons are just Falkirk fans willing and able to have given an extra £10k to the club last season, money that ultimately got us to the end of the season. And I’d wager that not one of them will ever see a penny of that back, while watching their investment dilute almost immediately.

There’s an election next week. Any member of FSS as of today can put themselves forward for election. We really welcome candidates standing up now. 

Edited by StuartA

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I couldn’t give a shit if the were Patrons or not. What is vital is that they have skills to bring to the party, have the time to give the club what it deserves and finally have the attitude that it is about the club first last and always and nothing to do with their own personal gain. We have had too many of these over the years. 

Not for me. In any organisation, you want people with diverse backgrounds and experience making decisions.

We have a situation where in theory there’s meant to be a 3 legged stool ownership model but in fact every one of those making key decisions is a member of one stool.

Members of the patrons group have effective total control of the club, which isn’t good for challenge or scrutiny.

46 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

Having seen Johns interviews I have a sense he has no problems expressing his views and wouldn’t need to do something like that. The weak links yesterday was the squad members he inherited, with the new additions showing up best. 

You could see wee Lewis' confusion that his standard softball question following a brutal performance didn't get the usual 'I'm really pleased with the group..thought we knocked the ball around well' answer 

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

Not for me. In any organisation, you want people with diverse backgrounds and experience making decisions.
We have a situation where in theory there’s meant to be a 3 legged stool ownership model but in fact every one of those making key decisions is a member of one stool.
Members of the patrons group have effective total control of the club, which isn’t good for challenge or scrutiny.

Why don’t you do something about it then, put yourself forward for a director of FSS instead moaning about it on here

36 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

All 4 directors from the respective groups are also democratically elected by the fans/members of each group, if for some reason you have an issue with the governance of the club join one of the groups and vote for a different candidate in the upcoming FSS elections. I personally have no issue with directors being members (and paying into) both groups, it gives us added investment and a broader talent pool to choose from, the club is now more democratic and fan inclusive than its ever been in my opinion but if you don’t like something then stand for election yourselves or even just raise the issue and use your vote for a change of director(s). Really don’t get the state you seem to be in over this, the new structure will have a few teething problems no doubt but the outline of it is absolutely bang on how a club of our size should operate and I’m sure will eventually get the club back to where it should be both on and off the pitch.

Edited by LatapyBairn.

7 minutes ago, StuartA said:

It’s a mute point until we get more people stepping forward and putting themselves up for election, then it’ll be up to Falkirk fans the type of folk they want on the board. 

I do agree that it is not a massive issue, but I do think there is a very reasonable argument for anyone running for an FSS directorship to disclose any other involvement in fan groups in their election blurb to be honest. 

The issue from the last election was that it was left out, and I don’t think for any particularly good reason (maybe because it was a temporary appointment until the end of the season?) Reading about it on pie and bovril shouldn’t really be necessary but that’s just me. 

6 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

Fair play to Brad McKay btw for all he was absolutely dire last season I think he’s been very solid so far in the 3 games i’ve seen him.

This will absolutely come back to bite me shortly.

I think a big part of that is down to us being way more organised and players knowing their roles. Whether he can keep it up?  Who knows. 

6 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

I do agree that it is not a massive issue, but I do think there is a very reasonable argument for anyone running for an FSS directorship to disclose any other involvement in fan groups in their election blurb to be honest. 

The issue from the last election was that it was left out, and I don’t think for any particularly good reason (maybe because it was a temporary appointment until the end of the season?) Reading about it on pie and bovril shouldn’t really be necessary but that’s just me. 

That’s a fair enough point, although I don’t have any particular issue with a potential director being a member of both groups a few obviously do. Perhaps in the upcoming elections candidates should be told to lay all that out in they’re  pre- election spiel to let fans have a fully informed vote. It is however a very minor issue, teething issues like this will be ironed out I’m sure as they new model progresses. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

I'll reserve judgement on McKay till the league season is well and truly underway. You know at some point he'll revert to type, but so far he's probably been the most improved of last season's dross. Don't see him starting when everyone is fit but maybe thats the kick up the backside he was needing in that he's going to have to fight for a place.  

Just now, LatapyBairn. said:

That’s a fair enough point, although I don’t have any particular issue with a potential director being a member of both groups a few obviously do. Perhaps in the upcoming elections candidates should lay all that on in there pre- election spiel to let fans have a fully informed vote. It is however a very minor issue, teething issues like this will be ironed out I’m sure as they new model progresses. 

It’s not a very minor issue imo when the new model was sold as 

“balanced ownership, where no single group has an overall majority and decisions must be made by collaboration and consensus.”

No one group is meant to have an overall majority and yet every angle director is a member of one group. Doesn’t add up to me.

Looking at our challengers performances yesterday the match stats suggest Airdrie and Dunfermline battered their (albeit weaker) opposition.  QOS have to be disappointed with their result after a lot of positive noise from their fans and doesn't look like Kelty deserved anything more from their game v ICT. 

I'm no defender of Brad Mckays time at Falkirk, but I think its pretty quickly going to become abundantly clear just how much difference a competent football manager makes. Not that we need much convincing having watched numerous players be fine pre and post Falkirk over recent years.

But hindsight is going to absolutely show times about a billion how terrible the last few managerial appointments have been. Sheerin and M&M in particular, with Rennie being close behind but had less of a chance than any of the others.

And also the reasons why Gary Holt should never ever work in football again.

Brad Mckay won't be a starter unless someone is out, but I am prepared to bet he does an adequate cover job until Paul Watson comes back and puts him down into 4th choice CB.

The player I am most worried about McGlynn not getting a competent starter out of but still seeing lots of game time is Williamson, given that I don't really want to see Finn Yeats shoved in there instead of midfield where he was presumably signed to play.