The Falkirk FC Thread

Oliver hasn't done anything in either game I've seen so far, Stranraer and today. I know he's out of position a bit but so far he looks like another nesbitt, mcguffie, seb ross and (the recent version of callumn morrison) standard of player.

24 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

Some people on here seem to actually be expecting us to win the league this season.  We were how many points behind cove and Airdrie last season so it's a bit of a push to think we might come top given the budget situation.  We need to see definite improvement and playoffs should be achievable but winning the league would be a massive bonus given where we were last season.  Now given that that's the case surely we need to realise that 23/24  is a far more realistic season where winning the league would be the minimum target . We need to build towards that and signing these promising young players instead of letting them go is a step towards that. 

Quote one post - just one - where someone has expressly stated that they "expect us to win the league". The sole objective - note objective, not expectation - is promotion, by whatever way that comes. A bang-average QP finished fourth last season, 28 points behind CR, 21 behind Airdrieonians. They are now in the Championship. Our principal rivals for the upcoming season are managed by James McPake, Willie Gibson and a rookie player-manager. I highly doubt McGlynn dropped down from a top-half championship team with the intention of drudging about in League One for any longer than a season. If the rest of whatever recruitment can be done is successful - players to go straight into the first eleven as opposed to yet more padding of the squad - and perhaps even managing to jettison some of last seasons dreck at the same time, I see no reason why we should not expect to be challenging at the top of the table. Again, that does not mean I "expect to win the league" If that is unrealistic, so be it and God Help Us. 

While on the one hand I don't expect us to win the league, on the other hand what I don't want to hear from any Falkirk manager in League 1 is the same defeatist pish spouted by McKinnon and Sheerin: "It's a tough league". Aye, well, it fuckin' shouldnae be!

26 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Quote one post - just one - where someone has expressly stated that they "expect us to win the league". The sole objective - note objective, not expectation - is promotion, by whatever way that comes. A bang-average QP finished fourth last season, 28 points behind CR, 21 behind Airdrieonians. They are now in the Championship. Our principal rivals for the upcoming season are managed by James McPake, Willie Gibson and a rookie player-manager. I highly doubt McGlynn dropped down from a top-half championship team with the intention of drudging about in League One for any longer than a season. If the rest of whatever recruitment can be done is successful - players to go straight into the first eleven as opposed to yet more padding of the squad - and perhaps even managing to jettison some of last seasons dreck at the same time, I see no reason why we should not expect to be challenging at the top of the table. Again, that does not mean I "expect to win the league" If that is unrealistic, so be it and God Help Us. 

It's not impossible but we have to be realistic and say that chances are we won't  .  People saying well it'll be a 5th season in league one if we don't sign another 4 players at least . It may well be and it may be a fifth season in league one even  if we sign 4 players given our starting point.  Going to be a lot of ups and downs this season I'd expect but that's better than the constant downs of last season.

Gary Oliver might be absolutely pish for you lot, but play him against us and he's guaranteed to score. In fact, it's very possible that his only goals all season are against us.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

While on the one hand I don't expect us to win the league, on the other hand what I don't want to hear from any Falkirk manager in League 1 is the same defeatist pish spouted by McKinnon and Sheerin: "It's a tough league". Aye, well, it fuckin' shouldnae be!

If we're not starting the season with the expectation that promotion is absolutely expected and tae f**k with the cups as well. then we might aswell throw in the towel. go part time immediately, terminate the lease at TFS  and groundshare at ochilview 

FFS

Could we dispense with any notions of "winning the league".
They have finished 5th & 6th the last two seasons.
McGlynn & Smith have 10 months to instill a disciplined & visible pattern of play, to the point where they can possibly finish within the play off positions.

9 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The future will be an indefinite stay in league 1 unless resources are used to bring in better quality for the starting 11. Didn’t you criticise the previous board for spending money on the youth development squads?

I was one of a group of people who offer the club cash to keep the Academy open when you wanted it closed Margaret - so you got the wrong bloke. 
Someone on here has just said they believe it to be an amateur contract anyway. 

8 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Certainly would be more preferable to me to eventually have the FSS directors as those outwith the patrons group. Makes sense to have a fan owned board with some representation of the wider fan base. Give it another year or so and I'll nominate myself.

I couldn’t give a shit if the were Patrons or not. What is vital is that they have skills to bring to the party, have the time to give the club what it deserves and finally have the attitude that it is about the club first last and always and nothing to do with their own personal gain. We have had too many of these over the years. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

5 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Good move for the lad.

Some on here didn’t want him back…

Some on here thought it was realistic we could get him back 

6 hours ago, kiddy said:

Could we dispense with any notions of "winning the league".
They have finished 5th & 6th the last two seasons.
McGlynn & Smith have 10 months to instill a disciplined & visible pattern of play, to the point where they can possibly finish within the play off positions.

'Possibly' finish in the playoffs.  f**k me. We weren't far from the playoffs last season under the two worst managers in the club's history.

If we want to set expectations to be cast up then here's one. Finishing outside the playoff positions will be an utter failure of a season. Catastrophic. 

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

4 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

'Possibly' finish in the playoffs.  f**k me. We weren't far from the playoffs last season under the two worst managers in the club's history.

If we want to set expectations to be cast up then here's one. Finishing outside the playoff positions will be an utter failure of a season. Catastrophic. 

We won’t