The Falkirk FC Thread

52 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

What’s your opinions on Charlie Telfer currently on trial at us ?

He’s a talented footballer that’s for sure but will need some robust players in the middle beside him to get the best out of him.

Did your new manager perhaps play with him in the youth team at Rangers ?

Telfer is a typical ex-OF kid who has got contract after contract on the back of “he was at Rangers/Celtic so he must be decent”. Falkirk have missed out the L1 playoffs the last two seasons. He was part of that - enough said. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

Really surprised that ugwu is considering dropping down a level. He was a good player for us and many fans would have been happy to see him stay. Imagine he'll do well in that league. Not an out and out goalscorer but is a handful for defences and gets a decent amount of assists. Good option to have.

42 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Telfer is a typical ex-OF kid who has got contract after contract on the back of “he was at Rangers/Celtic so he must be decent”. Falkirk have missed out the L1 playoffs the last two seasons. He was part of that - enough said. 

I've said this before, he played for the team for the last 3 seasons, the 3 worst in my lifetime. Good riddance. 

Talent is there and capable of the odd goal from outside the box. But an  empty jersey a lot of the time. Is he better than some of the players we have left? yes, was he rightly emptied at the end of the season? Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Decent goals return at Raith and Morton who play at a higher level than us.

I was thinking the other day would McGlynn go for Duku or Ugwu,  but a quick Google search and it would seem Duku is playing down south. Just looked at Ugwu's stats and not that impressive tbh. I think it's safe to assume he's more your target man type. 

Edited by ebobsboy

Ugwu had a baby this summer and wanted to move down south so his transfer window is obviously not going as well as he hoped. He was one of our highest earners as well so just hope he can get a good deal somewhere. 

Cracking player on his day and still an absolute nuisance when he's not at his best. Out of the 27 former Morton players signed in recent years I would put him as the most likely to succeed out of all of them if he signs. 

25 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Really surprised that ugwu is considering dropping down a level. He was a good player for us and many fans would have been happy to see him stay. Imagine he'll do well in that league. Not an out and out goalscorer but is a handful for defences and gets a decent amount of assists. Good option to have.

When I saw he had turned down a contract at Cappielow I assumed he had something else lined up, perhaps back down south. Seems to be reasonably well rated by Morton and Raith fans, has worked with McGlynn before and would provide the presence and threat in the final third that is so glaringly lacking in our team. It is a tough market for a lot of clubs this summer, very little movement anywhere over the last few weeks. In that contex I think Ugwu would be a pretty decent addition and would be pleased if we got him.

With the competitive stuff coming up It'll be interesting to see if McGlynn brings in one or two this week, and hopefully lets a few go out. One thing I will say if it is Ugwu that is signed and deployed as a lone striker he's going to need a helluva lot of others chipping in with goals and assists. That sadly is glaringly lacking in this side unless it's addressed before the league season starts. 

Telfer has good ability but he goes missing for months at a time. His stats are decent from last season, but almost all of that was accumulated against East Fife and Dumbarton.

42 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

With the competitive stuff coming up It'll be interesting to see if McGlynn brings in one or two this week, and hopefully lets a few go out. One thing I will say if it is Ugwu that is signed and deployed as a lone striker he's going to need a helluva lot of others chipping in with goals and assists. That sadly is glaringly lacking in this side unless it's addressed before the league season starts. 

We're going to have to get goals from across the midfield and attack unless we strike gold in the loan market. Can we potentially get 40 league goals between eg Ugwu, Oliver, McGuffie, Morrison and Nesbitt? Potentially but I think that's what would be required at a bare minimum.

I don’t really get the Ugwu one. A player who’s record is decent and Morton fans on the whole wanted to keep him, but supposedly wanted to go down south. Why would he have to have a trial with us? He’s played for Mcglynn before as well? Genuinely feels like a mistaken identity case 🤔 

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

We're going to have to get goals from across the midfield and attack unless we strike gold in the loan market. Can we potentially get 40 league goals between eg Ugwu, Oliver, McGuffie, Morrison and Nesbitt? Potentially but I think that's what would be required at a bare minimum.

Still think we’ll be getting a loan striker such as Henderson or the big lad from Kilmarnock.

I don’t really get the Ugwu one. A player who’s record is decent and Morton fans on the whole wanted to keep him, but supposedly wanted to go down south. Why would he have to have a trial with us? He’s played for Mcglynn before as well? Genuinely feels like a mistaken identity case [emoji848] 
Maybe it's Ethan Ross

Ugwu would be an excellent signing for this level. I was a little miffed we didn't keep him last season and with hindsight we should've kept him as his replacement, Ethon Varian, was severely lacking in the goal department. 

Ugwu's key limitation is that he is slow. He has very good technique and control, and is an absolute unit of a man. Very difficult for CBs to deal with as he is stronger than them. Unfortunately this does mean he is liable to concede an annoying number of fouls, although often I felt the fouls given against him were unfair, and that he'd merely outmuscled the defender and hadn't done anything wrong.