The Falkirk FC Thread

56 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Like the tens of thousands that were spent on an unfit and uninterested striker in January?

Why was that money spent at all if there is now nothing in the pot to field a competitive team? You’re looking at at least 2 decent players who could’ve been signed this season instead.

How often are you going to bang on about signing Griffiths, it was a gamble, a last throw of the dice, it didn’t work for numerous reasons, we move on. If we had Pie and Bovril in 1990 I’d guess you’d have been moaning about signing Simon Stainrod after seeing him in his first 2 or 3 games. We all know there’s no quick fix to moving forward again, but most of us are trying to show a bit patience in allowing the board and management make some improvements. 

10 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

How often are you going to bang on about signing Griffiths, it was a gamble, a last throw of the dice, it didn’t work for numerous reasons, we move on. If we had Pie and Bovril in 1990 I’d guess you’d have been moaning about signing Simon Stainrod after seeing him in his first 2 or 3 games. We all know there’s no quick fix to moving forward again, but most of us are trying to show a bit patience in allowing the board and management make some improvements. 

Never, ever, ever compare the signing of Stainrod to the signing of Griffiths. Never.

40 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Agree with this, at the time in the position we were in taking a gamble on a player of Griffiths quality made sense to me and plenty of others on here seemed to agree at that time. Can understand why Rennie wanted him, in hindsight it didn’t pay off but that’s the nature of football. The wages he received (roughly 24k) over what was only a 4 month contract would have made very little difference to our budget in the grand scheme of things. Banging on about it is pointless , It’s a non issue for me. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

45 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Agree with this, at the time in the position we were in taking a gamble on a player of Griffiths quality made sense to me and plenty of others on here seemed to agree at that time. Can understand why Rennie wanted him, in hindsight it didn’t pay off but that’s the nature of football. The wages he received (roughly 24k) over what was only a 4 month contract would have made very little difference to our budget in the grand scheme of things. Banging on about it is pointless , It’s a non issue for me. 

The bit that gets me besides paying him a fat wedge did Rennie think he was going to bang them in when the midfield was non existent. Was he relying on Griffiths banging long rangers from near on the half way line every time he got the ball because it must have been his train of thought. Any striker coming in this season is going to have the exact same issue because we do not have the personnel to create enough.

Our midfield will get bodied again this season if it's the triumvirate of Nesbitt, McGuffie, Hetherington in the main. McGinn if he keeps healthy should help but I'm expecting much of the same shitebaggery  as last season when they hit their stride or rather don't. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Never, ever, ever compare the signing of Stainrod to the signing of Griffiths. Never.

God's 1st few games for us were frankly poor but i remember standing on the terrace at Rugby Park screaming CROSS IT CROSS IT,then going or scoring is good as well🙈

19 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

God's 1st few games for us were frankly poor but i remember standing on the terrace at Rugby Park screaming CROSS IT CROSS IT,then going or scoring is good as well🙈

Did he not keel over, & get carted off down the Watson St end, in his first game? Can mind thinking "We've signed a crock & will be left with Hughes at CF for weeks!"

Given the talk of limited budget and the fact McGlynn has favoured a 4-2-3-1 so far, the team below might not be a million miles away from how we start the season. Where do we think the following team would finish?                           
                                     PJ

Williamson Henderson Donaldson Mackie 

McGinn  Yeates/Hetherington

Morrison      Oliver       McGuffie

Cameron

For me, an upgrade on Williamson, McGuffie and Hetherington (if we don’t sign Yeates) and signing someone like Henderson over Cameron gives us a chance. Surely that’s not inconceivable?

17 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Given the talk of limited budget and the fact McGlynn has favoured a 4-2-3-1 so far, the team below might not be a million miles away from how we start the season. Where do we think the following team would finish?                           
                                     PJ

Williamson Henderson Donaldson Mackie 

McGinn  Yeates/Hetherington

Morrison      Oliver       McGuffie

Cameron

For me, an upgrade on Williamson, McGuffie and Hetherington (if we don’t sign Yeates) and signing someone like Henderson over Cameron gives us a chance. Surely that’s not inconceivable?

PJ
New Donaldson Henderson Mccann
Yeats McGinn Mackie
Mcguffie New Morrison

The striker needs to be someone who keeps himself in between the posts, too often we put a ball into the box and nobody's there. The right back just has to defend better than Williamson which really isn't a hard stipulation.

Edited by FFC 1876

11 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

PJ
New Donaldson Henderson Mccann
Yeats McGinn Mackie
Mcguffie New Morrison

The striker needs to be someone who keeps himself in between the posts, too often we put a ball into the box and nobody's there. The right back just has to defend better than Williamson which really isn't a hard stipulation.

Mackie won’t be playing centre mid.

5 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Mackie won’t be playing centre mid.

Most likely not but if we only managed another 1 or 2 signings before the start of next week I'd have him in there. He's very comfortable on the ball, would provide a bit of dig in there and keeps Hetherington nowhere near the team.

9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Most likely not but if we only managed another 1 or 2 signings before the start of next week I'd have him in there. He's very comfortable on the ball, would provide a bit of dig in there and keeps Hetherington nowhere near the team.

Hetherington was on the whole an abomination last season but if, and I stress if, he regains some footballing ability I would have no problem with the manager playing him.

As I posted a couple of weeks back new season new start and we really need at least a couple of last year’s failures to discover some form.