The Falkirk FC Thread

I disagree with the comments on Nesbitt. He played decent in the first game against Killie and played well again last night. It's hard to judge what he'll be like when the season kicks off, but I seriously hope he shines under McGlynn because he's looked really sharp.
Nesbit has always been sharp though. Fantastic first touch, good balance, can wriggle out of tight spots and go past men.

But then nothing happens, and that's the issue.

That and the fact that his brain goes to screensaver mode as soon as we lose possession.

Eta I agree with you in hoping McGlynn can improve him and make use of him as a squad player btw, but he needs more discipline off the ball and he needs to work on final product.

52 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Surely there is a Lowland League team who’d take Wilson on loan? Even if they paid only 10-20% of his wages, it’s better than him stinking out the squad here. 

Edit to add: I can’t think he’ll be on much, but you’d think this avenue will have been explored.

I understand they were trying to get Stranraer to take him and that’s why he came on.

Must have killed that stone dead.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Nesbit has always been sharp though. Fantastic first touch, good balance, can wriggle out of tight spots and go past men.

But then nothing happens, and that's the issue.

That and the fact that his brain goes to screensaver mode as soon as we lose possession.

Eta I agree with you in hoping McGlynn can improve him and make use of him as a squad player btw, but he needs more discipline off the ball and he needs to work on final product.

He's too soft, never really gets involved when the going gets tough which is useless when he's played centrally. That was the majority of our teams issue last year right enough which is obviously why Mackie got a big rousing applause when he showed a bit of aggression after getting mauled last night.

Edited by FFC 1876

26 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I understand they were trying to get Stranraer to take him and that’s why he came on.

Must have killed that stone dead.

38 year old Daryl Duffy was more effective than Wilson was.

On 22/06/2022 at 21:01, JinkyBairn said:

Can we please stop bringing up Telfer ffs. The boy was an absolute waster for us. 

Euan Devenney was at Falkirk on loan a couple of years back,  how was he...  We have him in on trial at the moment..

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

The difference being this year, we have John McGlynn managing our pre season games. We, as fans, know we are miles short up front. With Rennie, M&M etc etc I would be shiting it - McGlynn however will know we are miles away

McGlynn  needs to pull a few rabbits out the hat with signings as not convinced he'll get more out of the likes of the inherited players (I don't think most of them have any more to give) 

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

Euan Devenney was at Falkirk on loan a couple of years back,  how was he...  We have him in on trial at the moment..

Lightweight and was nowhere near ready ability wise before he got a terrible injury. Not sure how he’s progressed since

Just now, GeordieBairn said:

Lightweight and was nowhere near ready ability wise before he got a terrible injury. Not sure how he’s progressed since

Killie binned him in the summer,  can see him getting signed up by ourselves we have no left sided players at present..

2 hours ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

The ONLY way to do this is to up the club's income and reduce expenditure. 

We are facing at least, at best, a £400,000 deficit. This means that the signings are going to be 1 or possibly two contracted players then the rest will be loans. 

This has been said publicly several times. 

We need people to sign up for FSS - Morton have 800+, we currently have 430. It is the one way we can immediately  increase the income to the club - currently 6K a month more or less. 

We can get some expenditure down by loaning out players or (miracle) getting some to leave.  And we need volunteers at the club to help get income.

After that cup runs and people turning up for home games are the the other income generators. The latter will only happen if we start winning games.

This is our brutal reality. 

It's amazing how many fans of clubs in the Championship and League One think their board can 'stretch the budget to get one of 2 new faces in'.  It doesn't work like that.  Managers get their budget and that's it.  If they spunk it on shite like you have the last 3/4 years, or Dunfermline last year, then it's tough luck.  Our fans are guilty of it to, do these fans think the chairmen is holding money back from the manager?  They're given what the club can afford.

In fact, the term 'stretch the budget' should be banned on this website.  It does my cunt in.

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's amazing how many fans of clubs in the Championship and League One think their board can 'stretch the budget to get one of 2 new faces in'.  It doesn't work like that.  Managers get their budget and that's it.  If they spunk it on shite like you have the last 3/4 years, or Dunfermline last year, then it's tough luck.  Our fans are guilty of it to, do these fans think the chairmen is holding money back from the manager?  They're given what the club can afford.

In fact, the term 'stretch the budget' should be banned on this website.  It does my c**t in.

Aye, quite agree. I suppose that more money could be available in the form of loans or gifts, or the budget might be increased because ST sales have exceeded expectations or whatever but, if the manager’s been given a budget it’s difficult to see how that can be ‘stretched’.  It is what it is.

We’ve had a few folk on talking about binning last season’s shite so that we can get better in like they’ll just walk for nothing. We even had one guy who suggested they could be sacked under gross misconduct because they weren’t very good!

36 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

In fact, the term 'stretch the budget' should be banned on this website.  It does my c**t in.

I'm not sure that's true to be honest.  I've been at AGMs and meetings where the club has stated that we've gone over the budget given to the manager at the start of the window . You  often get managers asking boards for more money too and getting it. 

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, quite agree. I suppose that more money could be available in the form of loans or gifts, or the budget might be increased because ST sales have exceeded expectations or whatever but, if the manager’s been given a budget it’s difficult to see how that can be ‘stretched’.  It is what it is.

We’ve had a few folk on talking about binning last season’s shite so that we can get better in like they’ll just walk for nothing. We even had one guy who suggested they could be sacked under gross misconduct because they weren’t very good!

Yeah, if you sign shite like McKay and Wilson on 2/3 year deals you're fucked as you either need to use some of the budget to pay them to fuck off, or use some of it to pay them and get no use out of them as you can't play them due to lack of ability.

5 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

I'm not sure that's true to be honest.  I've been at AGMs and meetings where the club has stated that we've gone over the budget given to the manager at the start of the window . You  often get managers asking boards for more money too and getting it. 

I'd say it's true 99% of the time.  It's a risk most chairmen won't take.

Edit - John Hughes has tried it at more than one club and has correctly been told to fuck off each time.

Edited by TheScarf

Just now, TheScarf said:

I'd say it's true 99% of the time.  It's a risk most chairmen won't take.

If a manager comes and says this player has become available and he will make a huge difference to the side bods will usually try and find the money. They also have a bit of flexibility depending on the situation. Some will keep some money back for exactly that reason too.

5 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Don’t know what Wilson’s on but let’s say £500pw/£25kpa. Surely it’s better to beg or borrow to pay him off with something like £5-£10k ratherthan have him doing nothing and saving the balance of his salary.From his point of view, once he realises he’s no chance of a game, it’s also a good deal. Surely?

Don’t know the ins and outs but if he as you say is not very good and possibly not get another club is he not just as likely to wait the full contract if £25 grand a year than just walking away with £5 or £10 grand and no guarantees on finding another club?

23 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Don’t know the ins and outs but if he as you say is not very good and possibly not get another club is he not just as likely to wait the full contract if £25 grand a year than just walking away with £5 or £10 grand and no guarantees on finding another club?

You could be right.

As he is under contract, not a lot we can do other than offer encouragement to leave.

Aye it would need to be a mutual agreement job.  Basically 'Can we agree on £10k and you can fuck off?'

Edit - We did it with Duku in January, Dodds realised he's screwed up by signing him and that he wasn't good enough so we paid him off and signed Samuels.  A clear upgrade too, which was nice.

Edited by TheScarf