The Falkirk FC Thread

9 hours ago, Russ said:

I don’t think he’s quite lost that much pace but he’s got absolutely zero stamina. Does well to get forward in support then takes fucking ages to get back. Also when he does eventually get he’s a fucking rotten defender.

Still my favourite quote from last season after I had written that he runs like Bambi scampering to get back to defend. Someone came back and said “Naw that’s not right. He runs like wean chasing a balloon”. That is so utterly perfect a description of what he is like. The guy looks miserable.

8 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Someone on here a while back (if it was you, please step up and take credit) said Williamson runs like a wean chasing a balloon and it's probably one of the best and most accurate descriptions of a player I've ever seen.

Oooops. My bad. See above.

We started with only 2 new signings and trialist, the rest are a hangover from a diabolical season and there's a reason we finished sixth. I've no doubt McGlynn knows the majority are duds but he's got a massive job on his hands to turn even 2 or 3 of them around. If he can get rid of a few, wheel and deal, loans etc,we could be looking at a new starting 11 by the time the league starts. Let's no kid ourselves, that's what we need to challenge this season, we simply can't rely on last seasons failures, which was evident once again last night.

Think at this level a decent striker is the hardest position to fill. Every club is looking for a goalscorer and there aren’t that many decent ones around. Think the best bet is to try and get a younger player, a Stokes like loan signing who finds a bit of form and bags a few goals. A youngster with maybe an older guy who is willing to drop to this level could do the trick, but don’t ask me who’s out there in the older guy market. It’s a hard job finding decent strikers.

2 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

We started with only 2 new signings and trialist, the rest are a hangover from a diabolical season and there's a reason we finished sixth. I've no doubt McGlynn knows the majority are duds but he's got a massive job on his hands to turn even 2 or 3 of them around. If he can get rid of a few, wheel and deal, loans etc,we could be looking at a new starting 11 by the time the league starts. Let's no kid ourselves, that's what we need to challenge this season, we simply can't rely on last seasons failures, which was evident once again last night.

Wasn’t at the game but same theme throughout past couple of pages. Reality is we’ve kept so much shite and without some masterclass  ie (Jeffries McCall) who pulled so many rabbits out the hat, I’m genuinely worried that M&S are now fully understanding of the massive task that lies ahead. Some on here are obviously more relaxed (or ITK) as still five weeks to wheel and deal, however as days close in getting players to sign normally means the shite players are the ones left and we’ve had or fill of these. Same shite players are mentioned all the time on here, McGlynns no idiot and hoping the bod are working hard to support the new gaffer. 

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Wasn’t at the game but same theme throughout past couple of pages. Reality is we’ve kept so much shite and without some masterclass  ie (Jeffries McCall) who pulled so many rabbits out the hat, I’m genuinely worried that M&S are now fully understanding of the massive task that lies ahead. Some on here are obviously more relaxed (or ITK) as still five weeks to wheel and deal, however as days close in getting players to sign normally means the shite players are the ones left and we’ve had or fill of these. Same shite players are mentioned all the time on here, McGlynns no idiot and hoping the bod are working hard to support the new gaffer. 

It’s the exact opposite of that - the quality can take time to weigh up options, or the quality comes from premier clubs loaning out their surplus to requirements (but usually only after a pre season). 

We are nowhere near done in terms of recruitment but fan patience required

Guest FFC1965

Went to the game last night (my 1st game since the 1-1 v. Peterhead in Feb)

The only players to come out with clear pass marks were Mackie, Martin in goal and the #14 trialist (Yates?).  Mackie looked a quality player and a leader, #14 took a wee while to get going but was always keen to get on the ball and used it well – he looked a bit like a young pair of legs to dovetail with McGinn.  He certainly got a big ovation when subbed late on.   

Williamson, Morrison, McGuffie, Nesbitt, McCann & Hetherington were all no different from last season (they all seem able to be involved for about 20 minutes of a game max).  Hetherington was decent in the first half hour and I was hoping to see the AAFC version of this guy but he faded into the background after that.  Nesbitt's passing in particular is atrocious and it was his slackness in this area that almost cost us in the second half. 

McKay looked a bit more solid (his positional sense looked more secure) but Stranraer from L2 did waltz through our defence a few times .

Mackie  (sorry) Oliver was worryingly anonymous.

Without 4 or 5 new faces (which I believe unlikely) or the ability to move on some of our 5-a-side players from last season I can see McGlynn adopting a Houstie style of play with the focus being on not losing goals and just grinding out narrow wins.

Edited by FFC1965

From Holt's interviews at the time around signings and the youth academy, he really emphasised his desire to pick up players who'd lost their way in professional football and give them a platform to succeed. Sounds like a nice plan but also leads to ignoring all supporting evidence and signing players like Wilson who are nowhere near the quality of any league 1 side on a punt.
Not Wilsons fault we gave him a TWO YEAR deal but it's incredible he made it through a trial.

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

To me it’s absolutely essential that Mcglynn is given the resources to get more players and more quality in.

We will be extremely lucky to get 4th place with the current squad and we are still well short all over the park imo. Yes, a striker is the priority but who is going to be creating in midfield- it certainly won’t be Nesbitt.

11 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I've got the feeling we don't have said bit of cash in order for McGlynn to have the luxury of doing that.

Donaldson, Henderson and McGinn still to come back in as starters when they recover from injuries but we've absolutely nothing upfront. 

Really surprised we don't have more trialists in at the moment other than all the youngsters. Yeats has done enough to earn himself a deal.

Don’t know what Wilson’s on but let’s say £500pw/£25kpa. Surely it’s better to beg or borrow to pay him off with something like £5-£10k ratherthan have him doing nothing and saving the balance of his salary.From his point of view, once he realises he’s no chance of a game, it’s also a good deal. Surely?

Edited by Dawson Park Boy
Omission

I disagree with the comments on Nesbitt. He played decent in the first game against Killie and played well again last night. It's hard to judge what he'll be like when the season kicks off, but I seriously hope he shines under McGlynn because he's looked really sharp.

31 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

It’s the exact opposite of that - the quality can take time to weigh up options, or the quality comes from premier clubs loaning out their surplus to requirements (but usually only after a pre season). 

We are nowhere near done in terms of recruitment but fan patience required

Not disagreeing, however as said in previous post I’d be a hellava more optimistic if players are already identified and it’s a time thing only…… not convinced……

Surely there is a Lowland League team who’d take Wilson on loan? Even if they paid only 10-20% of his wages, it’s better than him stinking out the squad here. 

Edit to add: I can’t think he’ll be on much, but you’d think this avenue will have been explored.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

30 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

To me it’s absolutely essential that Mcglynn is given the resources to get more players and more quality in.

We will be extremely lucky to get 4th place with the current squad and we are still well short all over the park imo. Yes, a striker is the priority but who is going to be creating in midfield- it certainly won’t be Nesbitt.

The ONLY way to do this is to up the club's income and reduce expenditure. 

We are facing at least, at best, a £400,000 deficit. This means that the signings are going to be 1 or possibly two contracted players then the rest will be loans. 

This has been said publicly several times. 

We need people to sign up for FSS - Morton have 800+, we currently have 430. It is the one way we can immediately  increase the income to the club - currently 6K a month more or less. 

We can get some expenditure down by loaning out players or (miracle) getting some to leave.  And we need volunteers at the club to help get income.

After that cup runs and people turning up for home games are the the other income generators. The latter will only happen if we start winning games.

This is our brutal reality. 

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Not disagreeing, however as said in previous post I’d be a hellava more optimistic if players are already identified and it’s a time thing only…… not convinced……

The difference being this year, we have John McGlynn managing our pre season games. We, as fans, know we are miles short up front. With Rennie, M&M etc etc I would be shiting it - McGlynn however will know we are miles away

59 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I did notice McGlynn giving Smith a look last night after Wilson missed that chance. Almost like it confirmed what they already knew. 

I noticed that too. He looked exasperated at times with some of our play. He should be under no illusions after that, we were outplayed for long spells after first 20 minutes or so.