The Falkirk FC Thread

Pretty dire times when we’re debating if being rated as fourth-favourites to win League One is too generous or not. McGlynn’s got a mighty job on his hands.

It wasn’t that long ago that that was the very debate we were having re promotion from the Championship.

How quickly things regressed……

36 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

0B7BC5CC-8CB6-4EA9-A587-D322C511E467.jpeg

I don't think we can really grumble at those odds to be honest, McGlynn's a much better manager than we've had over the last few seasons but there's still loads of work to be done on the squad front to have us performing on the park. 

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I don't think we can really grumble at those odds to be honest, McGlynn's a much better manager than we've had over the last few seasons but there's still loads of work to be done on the squad front to have us performing on the park. 

Spot on, can’t help thinking back to one of McGlynns first interviews when he said that the first few weeks were critical for the club, maybe it’s an over reaction but did expect more movement in and out. As said in earlier post maybe he knows what’s coming and is preparing to pounce…..

SkyBet have us joint favourites with Dunfermline fwiw. 

Still work to be done but getting promoted out of the league this season shouldn't require a "miracle". We are short going forward and lacking creativity as it stands but we should be relatively solid at the back and into midfield.

Williamson is a massive concern for me too if I'm honest I have no faith in him at all. Worryingly slow and you couldn't fit a fag paper under him when he jumps. We should be looking at other right backs as a priority imo.

Edited by Marshmallo

23 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

It wasn’t that long ago that that was the very debate we were having re promotion from the Championship.

How quickly things regressed……

Yep my thoughts are we will finish top 4 this season shows how far.

When you consider we won more league games than one of the promoted sides last season with our worst side in my time, tells you finishing 4th isn't that hard to do with our budgets in recent years and now.

McGlynn has a job on his hands for sure but I can't see us being as weak as shit as we were last season after losing a goal. 

2 hours ago, Jackie Myles said:

It's amazing how  we ever managed to inform fans about games and sell tickets before the internet came along. 

Maybe it’s just me but when I go into the website and look at Fixtures all I get are last seasons. 
Surely as we’ve got a website designer as our main sponsor we could fill in the fixtures for the Cups and League matches.

A bit disappointing.

Guest FFC1965

Im going tonight having missed the Crunchie game.  Aside from the new recruits Im hoping to see signs that as many as possible of last seasons players can meet the standard required under McGlynn.   They dont deserve a second chance but thats the hand the talentless workaholic Holt dealt us.   

That is key to us having any chance of challenging as I suspect that the squad now is only going to be supplemented by a couple of loan deals though you never know if ST sales batter on towards / through 2k.      

COYB

14 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Maybe it’s just me but when I go into the website and look at Fixtures all I get are last seasons. 
Surely as we’ve got a website designer as our main sponsor we could fill in the fixtures for the Cups and League matches.

A bit disappointing.

... and Season Ticket and strip advertising is for last year too.

It's not Crunchy Carrots fault as designers - that's on the club to provide the updated content as it's built on a CMS which should make it manageable.

The argument the employees doing it are part-time/volunteer doesn't wash as there's all manner of tools they obviously have to hand to run this with minimal resourcing.

Hate knocking this stuff but I just want the club to maximise every avenue they can.

14 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

... and Season Ticket and strip advertising is for last year too.

It's not Crunchy Carrots fault as designers - that's on the club to provide the updated content as it's built on a CMS which should make it manageable.

The argument the employees doing it are part-time/volunteer doesn't wash as there's all manner of tools they obviously have to hand to run this with minimal resourcing.

Hate knocking this stuff but I just want the club to maximise every avenue they can.

A few teething issues and with Swinnie on holiday it gives the impression that we’re miles short on staffing 

Weren't us and Dundee Utd heavy favourites to win the championship a few years ago? We had a terrible first half of the season, imporved to finish 8th after a massive January clearout and beat Dundee United 6-1 as they struggled as well - St Mirren and Livingston ended up going up IIRC? I'm not saying the bookies are stupid but those odds won't be based on much, as Marshmallow says Skybet have us joint favourites with Dunfermline. Given how much we've struggled over the last two years and considering the nick of the Pars squad at the moment that is also a bold assumption that either of us will do well. I'm just hoping we can sell as many season tickets as possible so that our starting 11 for the first game of the season contains as few of last season's jobbers as possible 

6 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Weren't us and Dundee Utd heavy favourites to win the championship a few years ago? We had a terrible first half of the season, imporved to finish 8th after a massive January clearout and beat Dundee United 6-1 as they struggled as well - St Mirren and Livingston ended up going up IIRC? I'm not saying the bookies are stupid but those odds won't be based on much, as Marshmallow says Skybet have us joint favourites with Dunfermline. Given how much we've struggled over the last two years and considering the nick of the Pars squad at the moment that is also a bold assumption that either of us will do well. I'm just hoping we can sell as many season tickets as possible so that our starting 11 for the first game of the season contains as few of last season's jobbers as possible 

Falkirk and Dunfermline will be at least as much priced to protect the bookies from a deluge of bets on the "big teams" of the league, as they are on how likely either are to win the league though.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

SkyBet have us joint favourites with Dunfermline fwiw. 

Still work to be done but getting promoted out of the league this season shouldn't require a "miracle". We are short going forward and lacking creativity as it stands but we should be relatively solid at the back and into midfield.

Williamson is a massive concern for me too if I'm honest I have no faith in him at all. Worryingly slow and you couldn't fit a fag paper under him when he jumps. We should be looking at other right backs as a priority imo.

I thought Williamson was shocking last Friday. Looked nothing like a professional athlete, lacking in every dept.  Total liability. 

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Is this about Ryan Williamson? If so, has he lost his pace? When he was with us, he had pace, but no footballing ability. If he’s lost that pace (probably not a huge surprise given his injury history), then I can’t see him resembling a footballer at all and you will definitely need a better option at RB.

Think the league could be close this year. So far, not seeing much to split most of the squads. Probably comes down to who has the best manager/who gets the best loanees. You’ll certainly be up there challenging with McGlynn. But, similar to us, there will be concerns about the mentality/attitude of some of the players the new manager has inherited.

21 hours ago, unused sub said:

Thank you guys, I'm a dinosaur I ain't got twitter. 

Just sign up for twitter, you don't have to tweet or follow anyone. I don't even use twitter app. Instead of going to Falkirk Fc main page just go to their twitter page for latest info.

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Our starting lineup isn't a million miles away, we probably just need more depth. 

Visually on paper we seem to have a far stronger set of strikers on the books which will hopefully help. 

Is this about Ryan Williamson? If so, has he lost his pace? When he was with us, he had pace, but no footballing ability. If he’s lost that pace (probably not a huge surprise given his injury history), then I can’t see him resembling a footballer at all and you will definitely need a better option at RB.
Think the league could be close this year. So far, not seeing much to split most of the squads. Probably comes down to who has the best manager/who gets the best loanees. You’ll certainly be up there challenging with McGlynn. But, similar to us, there will be concerns about the mentality/attitude of some of the players the new manager has inherited.

I don’t think he’s quite lost that much pace but he’s got absolutely zero stamina. Does well to get forward in support then takes fucking ages to get back. Also when he does eventually get he’s a fucking rotten defender.

56 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Aye he's ok going forward when he gets his gallop on and has a decent delivery but defensively he's woeful. 

32 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Do we have card machines at the PATG turnstiles? Stupid question I know but I've just never been through PATG for long enough.

It's not stupid at all. 

Info like this that removes a barrier to entry - pardon the pun - is helpful and frees up a club employee to do something else instead of answering a phone all day.