The Falkirk FC Thread

20 minutes ago, Springfield said:

If he had been more focused when he was with us, got himself in shape and scored a few goals he would have had offers from clubs in leagues higher than us. Most of us would give their all for a chance to have just one minute playing professional football and it’s horrible to see players not grasping how lucky they are.

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

If he had been more focused when he was with us, got himself in shape and scored a few goals he would have had offers from clubs in leagues higher than us. Most of us would give their all for a chance to have just one minute playing professional football and it’s horrible to see players not grasping how lucky they are.

One of the what-ifs added to the long line of talented players in Scotland that did not fulfill their potential for any number of reasons many of them tragic.

Nobody doubted his talent and I hope he gets himself help to resolve his personal issues.

52 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’d take him back on a heavily incentive based contract. The guy is still only 31 years old. 

I said something similar a few weeks ago. Stainrod was heavily incentivised on bonuses but was absolutely confident he could deliver at league 1 level (he did so in the premiership aswell).

I totally get fans being aggrieved at Griffiths rumoured £1500pw, however I too would take him back if he was incentivised on goals, assists and wins, promotion. he'd then have to get fit, play well or he'd be dropped and effectively costing us nothing to very little. we know how hard it is to get good strikers in this league, he getting paid little on basic and 1 other striker to come in might work.

can't see it ever happening though and if he doesn't get fit and do a deal like the one above which incentivises him to get fit then his career is over at 31

Just now, bridge of allan bairn said:

I said something similar a few weeks ago. Stainrod was heavily incentivised on bonuses but was absolutely confident he could deliver at league 1 level (he did so in the premiership aswell).

I totally get fans being aggrieved at Griffiths rumoured £1500pw, however I too would take him back if he was incentivised on goals, assists and wins, promotion. he'd then have to get fit, play well or he'd be dropped and effectively costing us nothing to very little. we know how hard it is to get good strikers in this league, he getting paid little on basic and 1 other striker to come in might work.

can't see it ever happening though and if he doesn't get fit and do a deal like the one above which incentivises him to get fit then his career is over at 31

A pay as you play deal would be the only way I would have him back.

No doubt if he did get a grip of his life he would be an asset to most clubs in Scotland.

8 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Exactly my thoughts, he’d be by far and away the top striker ability wise outside the premiership. It’s just finding a way to get his head in the right place. If there were any other obvious options I’d say leave well alone but at the moment I really can’t see where we are finding this 20 goal a season striker most teams that win leagues have. I get the fear we’ll end up with another Jamie Wilson type signing or a last minute young untested player on loan similar to Ruth which just won’t cut it if we have league winning ambitions. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

I'd say we need two strikers, that could get 10+ goals each. The issue of finding a 20plus goal striker is if you do find one and he gets injured where are the rest of the goals coming from in this team?, Morrison might chip in with a few. There needs to be more from other areas of the park. We have had problems last couple of seasons creating and scoring enough. With the current personnel i don't see that changing. Thats the biggest issue. Could have the aforementioned rejuvenated Griffiths but if he's stuck up top isolated with zero service he's not going to score either. 

20 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

His career is over.  He's had chances at Celtic, Dundee and us to knuckle down and get his head in order but he can't do it.  Anyone daft enough to take him on will regret it as quickly as we did. 

This seems by far the most likely scenario. I am fairly sure we have been treated to "Griffiths has sorted himself out" type chat before over the years. It's a bit crass really that the issues he suffers from are being discussed hand in hand with his ongoing football career. I hope he sorts himself out for a life post-football. But as far as signing him for us, absolutely not. He might well go on to do well somewhere else, but f**k me man, imagine we signed him and he was as bad again.... 

Once bitten twice shy. Signing him last season was a very costly f**k up. Signing him again would blow my mind to bits. 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Did people watch the games with Griffiths with their eyes shut last season?

We were particularly terrible in every area of the park during that period, Griffiths despite carrying  an injury from the Alloa match which prevented him training properly, being massively unfit and under motivated was by no means our worst player. Far from it in fact. An incentivised contract (if he was prepared to accept such a deal) carries little or no risk financially on the clubs part and if somehow McGlynn can get him motivated everyone knows the guys ability, at only 31 years old there is no reason he’s lost any of that ability. It may or may not work but at least the onus would be on the player to earn his wage and in reality can you suggest any obvious alternatives? Competitive games start in two weeks and we literally have no strikers. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

4 hours ago, Trump said:

Rumours on Twitter that Jay Fulton leaving Swansea, still under contract so will be a fee involved, do we have a sell on clause for him? Anything to help with the budget this year.

Rumour is he is being released

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

His career is over.  He's had chances at Celtic, Dundee and us to knuckle down and get his head in order but he can't do it.  Anyone daft enough to take him on will regret it as quickly as we did. 

TBF he was injured at Alloa and couldn’t train. 

55 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

We were particularly terrible in every area of the park during that period, Griffiths despite being massively unfit and under motivated was by no means our worst player. Far from it in fact. An incentivised contract (if he was prepared to accept such a deal) carries little or no risk financially on the clubs part and if somehow McGlynn can get him motivated everyone knows the guys ability, at only 31 years old there is no reason he’s lost any of that ability. It may or may not work but at least the onus would be on the player to earn his wage and in reality can you suggest any obvious alternatives? Competitive games start in two weeks and we literally have no strikers. 

We have strikers it's just one is an untested kid, one is utterly hopeless, and the other whilst just signed has hardly been prolific. I also expect the utterly hopeless one to be punted as soon as the loan market opens up. I don't think McGlynn is the type to rush in and sign someone for the sake of it like Sheerin did with Wilson, it maybe we will need to wait till the competitive matches start if he's looking at prem squads for players. The trialist market is usually full of dross, with the occasional gem. 

8 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

We have strikers it's just one is an untested kid, one is utterly hopeless, and the other whilst just signed has hardly been prolific. I also expect the utterly hopeless one to be punted as soon as the loan market opens up. I don't think McGlynn is the type to rush in and sign someone for the sake of it like Sheerin did with Wilson, it maybe we will need to wait till the competitive matches start if he's looking at prem squads for players. The trialist market is usually full of dross, with the occasional gem. 

On his interview at the time I don’t think the manager classes Oliver as an out and out striker, unless we have no other options his position will probably be one of the front three behind a striker in McGlynns  preferred 4-2-3-1. Certainly his goals to game ratio would suggest he’s not an out and out number 9.