The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

As others have said, thought Mackie was excellent, especially first half.  

Don;'t think Yeats offers anything we don't have in spades (ie small, lightweight midfielders who can pass the ball sideways).  Neat and tidy but not what we need imo. 

Shades of Jaime Wilson from the number 9 - hopefully we don't default to just signing whoever we have on trial this year.  

Morrison (PJ) looked fairly solid and Hetherington much improved.  We desperately need strikers and some strength in the team.  

Yeats only 18 though you've got to mind. Still got loads of time to improve and add other things to his game under the right coaching. 

What was the deal with naming the academy players on the bench as trialist last night? Pearse Carroll, young left footer that came on in the middle of the park towards the end, was named but the rest weren't, is he the only one actually signed?

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

What was the deal with naming the academy players on the bench as trialist last night? Pearse Carroll, young left footer that came on in the middle of the park towards the end, was named but the rest weren't, is he the only one actually signed?

Big team found.

As others have said, thought Mackie was excellent, especially first half.  

Don;'t think Yeats offers anything we don't have in spades (ie small, lightweight midfielders who can pass the ball sideways).  Neat and tidy but not what we need imo. 

Shades of Jaime Wilson from the number 9 - hopefully we don't default to just signing whoever we have on trial this year.  
Morrison (PJ) looked fairly solid and Hetherington much improved.  We desperately need strikers and some strength in the team.  

On last nights performance Yeats was streets ahead of what we currently have, would definitely be a good investment.
Up front will remain a big problem till the loan market kicks in

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I thought that was strange too so I asked the question. He's registered on a player extranet system as being under contract for a wee while yet whereas the others aren't. I don't know anything about youth player contracts so possibly they'll reregister once they start playing again. The youth leagues are on some sort of break at the moment. I recognised five of the U18s last night, with two of them, Pearse Carroll & Scott Honeyman, coming on in the last ten minutes. 

I'm guessing we'll see more of the U18s and the other trialists when we play weaker opposition on Tuesday. 

The lad Yates looks like he needs to improve technically but he has some engine. Even in the last couple of minutes he got back to clear an attack. 
At 18 he won’t be expensive. On last nights showing I would certainly look to bring him in. 

4 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

The lad Yates looks like he needs to improve technically but he has some engine. Even in the last couple of minutes he got back to clear an attack. 
At 18 he won’t be expensive. On last nights showing I would certainly look to bring him in. 

Agreed - he’ll only benefit from playing and training with McGinn.

McGlynn is clever enough to manage Yeats wisely and ensure he doesn’t burn out or suffer from huge losses in his confidence.

I thought the much maligned McKay and Hetherington both played quite well. McKay still made a few loose passes though and we certainly need to replace him as a starter. Hetherington may be ok as back-up to McGinn though?

Mackie played well I thought although he's not tall or dominant enough to play CH I don't think. Could maybe work well on the left side of a 3 though if that's how McGlynn decides to go. The young number 14 looked lively and comfortable on the ball and may be ok to take a chance on. Probably not as a starter though?

I was disappointed in Oliver who had a few chances to run on to loose balls but didn't show enough desire to get there IMO and C Morrison offered very little. Someone said that he looked like he'd want to play elsewhere but, if he's looking for a move, he didn't go the right way about getting one.

5 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Am I right in saying that Mcglynn stated in the pre match interview that Nesbitt was injured? He obviously played last night and it was Seb Ross that was sitting in the stands injured. Bit of an awkward one if he’s got his own players names mixed up. 

As long as Seb Ross doesn't accidentally get any game time

6 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

Nesbitt was definitely carrying a knock last night, surprised he stayed on as long as he did. 

Ah fair enough then. Hopefully get a tune out of him and McGuffie but still desperately need another box to box scoring midfielder and a striker. 

C Morrison offered very little. Someone said that he looked like he'd want to play elsewhere but, if he's looking for a move, he didn't go the right way about getting one.

I think im in minority but I've never got the love for Morrison that some off our fans seem to have, he can go if he likes, won't be a big loss imo, free up a wage to get someone else in.

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I think their contracts have expired whereas Carroll’s runs until December.

2 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

I think im in minority but I've never got the love for Morrison that some off our fans seem to have, he can go if he likes, won't be a big loss imo, free up a wage to get someone else in.

If he believes he is too good for league one, then he wouldn't have signed two longer deal extensions with us.

I will applaud his decent performances but in recent times his decision making and injuries are more the talking point.

I'm hoping that McGlynn can get more of the first season Morrison back,time well tell if Morrison appreciates being barked at throughout 

Edited by MrDust

Seeing and hearing people who are upset with the result against killie. Of course 4-1 is quite a heavy defeat, however people need to bear in mind that we kept level and if not played better than killie for at least 70 minutes when we started to bring on our u18s and that rank no.9.

If we had a fully fit team with a couple more of the suggested players that we are looking at I could’ve seen us keeping it level or winning. Killie are a physical and defensive side so our “lack of chances created” makes sense - never even expected us to put up a chance to be honest.

Personally looking pretty solid, but I know from the past that good pre-seasons don’t mean a good season, so reserving overall judgement till we’ve played a few league games.

8 minutes ago, Mon_Eh_Bairns2018 said:

Seeing and hearing people who are upset with the result against killie. Of course 4-1 is quite a heavy defeat, however people need to bear in mind that we kept level and if not played better than killie for at least 70 minutes when we started to bring on our u18s and that rank no.9.

If we had a fully fit team with a couple more of the suggested players that we are looking at I could’ve seen us keeping it level or winning. Killie are a physical and defensive side so our “lack of chances created” makes sense - never even expected us to put up a chance to be honest.

Personally looking pretty solid, but I know from the past that good pre-seasons don’t mean a good season, so reserving overall judgement till we’ve played a few league games.

The litmus test will be how we react to our first defeat in the league this season. Hopefully it's a long way off but in recent seasons we've done ok lost a game and then collapsed like a pack of cards