The Falkirk FC Thread

26 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Given where we are I doubt we will in our lifetimes sadly….

Bitter sweet. Those of a certain vintage (me) have Craig Sibbald and Farid as heroes - who were good championship players who never got us promotion. Would rather have your lot! 

46 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

He failed with a simple header and also had a shot blocked. Otherwise didn’t get a sniff.
Was hardly helped by being surrounded by youngsters to be fair…

He was the first sub, we were doing fine until he came on, fair enough McGlynn needs to look at him but for someone trying to show what he can do it wasn't good enough but in any of the last 3 years would probably ended up with a 2 year deal.

Couldn’t be there tonight as in Spain but good to hear there was a strong turnout.

As far as last year’s imposters are concerned I will be delighted if the new management actually get some of them looking like footballers.

New season , new start.

We stayed with Killie for 70 minutes, but in the end, their sheer physicality dominated in the closing stages. We had a definite and clear style of play with no failures to speak of.

Killies 3rd goal was 100% avoidable (as was their first). For the 3rd, a total lack of communication saw a ball that was a straightforward collect for the keeper being hoofed out for a Killie thrown in. Straight away, it was launched into the box for near enough a tap in. Silly goal to concede.

Their fourth was a straightforward dominant header unchallenged. Killie were like a team of giants.

We had next to nothing, and the number 9 sub looked seriously out of his depth by either wanting far too much time, or just not controlling the ball.

Their first was just horrible set piece defending, their second a really jammy deflection that left their guy with an easy finish. Williamson was ok, but the same flouncy defensive qualities looked to be unchanged. Sean Mackie and the number 14 our best, with Hetherington and McKay the most improved.

We still have absolutely zip up front. Thing is, we still have three or four starters still to come in, but where the goals will come from is the glaring shortfall. Oh, and Nesbitt and McGuffie both worked their socks off tbf. Effort certainly wasn’t in question.

Certainly need to shift some out before we see more signings.

Agree thought we had a decent first seventy minutes. Thought the team should much more energy compared to last season’s appalling show. Good composure from the back, unfortunately Williamson still looks like bambi on ice. Watched Morrison off the ball and a couple of times McGlynn shouting over to him. I agree with earlier post about Hetherington, thought he had a good game. Mackie walked the game and if we keep fit he’ll be a real asset. Why is it most football teams have an average height of 6”2 and us 5”2?

Kilmarnock clearly on another level in all aspects but think we did OK over the piece. Main highlight for me was Mackie; good in the air, strong, composed and capable of more than passing the ball backwards or sideways.

I’m also not a football tactical expert and would never claim to be, but it seemed Hetherington was playing with a lot more freedom than he has in the past. He had a few shocker passes as per usual but he actually looked quite good for the most part. 

Great reception for the wee man last night. Must admit had a wee lump in the throat when he came out to local hero. 

The game itself I thought we looked far better organised and played at a decent tempo and a few nice passages of play. Considering that was 70% of last seasons dross playing it was much improved. 

Mackie and the young boy Yeats were excellent. I think McGlynn might well be able to get a bit more out of what we have, he will need to because doesn't sound like loads more will come in. 

Anyway promising, goals we lost were horrendous but that is not our first choice defence. And Killie are huge compared to our midgets. Bug bear for me is looks like we have signed another keeper who won't command his box and take a cross. 

19 minutes ago, AriG-FFC said:

Great reception for the wee man last night. Must admit had a wee lump in the throat when he came out to local hero. 

The game itself I thought we looked far better organised and played at a decent tempo and a few nice passages of play. Considering that was 70% of last seasons dross playing it was much improved. 

Mackie and the young boy Yeats were excellent. I think McGlynn might well be able to get a bit more out of what we have, he will need to because doesn't sound like loads more will come in. 

Anyway promising, goals we lost were horrendous but that is not our first choice defence. And Killie are huge compared to our midgets. Bug bear for me is looks like we have signed another keeper who won't command his box and take a cross. 

That's what we like, an exclusive. So Finn Yeats was the trialist? 18 year old who's just been released from Aberdeen. Played 10 games for Keith FC in the highland league last season. Looks to have played right back for them a fair few times.

7 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Hopefully we are looking to get Innes Cameron and/or Daniel Armstrong on loan from Killie. Don’t imagine either will get a lot of game time in the prem. 

Dan Armstrong would be a good signing, McGlynn had him at Raith as well, but I'm not sure about Innes Cameron, took his two goals well last night but he was up against Ryan Williamson's defending. QOS fans are dreading getting him back on loan. 

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Dan Armstrong would be a good signing, McGlynn had him at Raith as well, but I'm not sure about Innes Cameron, took his two goals well last night but he was up against Ryan Williamson's defending. QOS fans are dreading getting him back on loan. 

Don't worry he'll be welcomed back with open arms after a few games Ruth up top.

39 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

That's what we like, an exclusive. So Finn Yeats was the trialist? 18 year old who's just been released from Aberdeen. Played 10 games for Keith FC in the highland league last season. Looks to have played right back for them a fair few times.

Ye was told it was Yeats. Didn't realise he was only 18. Thought he looked very comfortable on the ball and looked to move it forward. Would be a good addition based on last night. 

3 minutes ago, AriG-FFC said:

Ye was told it was Yeats. Didn't realise he was only 18. Thought he looked very comfortable on the ball and looked to move it forward. Would be a good addition based on last night. 

No brainer for me as he will be costing you peanuts.  

Still waiting on the crunchie boys announcing who won the prize draw top prize of coming on and playing up front last night though.

Like most have said, game was really competitive until we started bringing the trialists and younger guys on. Not arsed about the result cause you know.. it was a friendly.

Donaldson, Henderson and McGinn will bring the physicality we desire and I think we wouldn't have been bullied so much from set pieces if they were playing. However the zonal marking at corners gives me the fear. 

I liked the look of Oliver up top however I'd say we need some reinforcements.

McGuffie, Nesbitt and surprisingly Hetherington and McKay all had decent games. 

As others have said, thought Mackie was excellent, especially first half.  

Don;'t think Yeats offers anything we don't have in spades (ie small, lightweight midfielders who can pass the ball sideways).  Neat and tidy but not what we need imo. 

Shades of Jaime Wilson from the number 9 - hopefully we don't default to just signing whoever we have on trial this year.  

Morrison (PJ) looked fairly solid and Hetherington much improved.  We desperately need strikers and some strength in the team.  

16 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

As others have said, thought Mackie was excellent, especially first half.  

Don;'t think Yeats offers anything we don't have in spades (ie small, lightweight midfielders who can pass the ball sideways).  Neat and tidy but not what we need imo. 

Shades of Jaime Wilson from the number 9 - hopefully we don't default to just signing whoever we have on trial this year.  

Morrison (PJ) looked fairly solid and Hetherington much improved.  We desperately need strikers and some strength in the team.  

I thought he was the best on the ball in the middle of the park, had a few tasty nutmegs in the first half too. Would have liked to see him get more stuck in but given he's only 18 and it was his first game for us I'd like to see him again. Stranraer will be a better game to see him in.

Edited by FFC 1876