The Falkirk FC Thread

To be fair it was a bit more than that. He has asthma and has had COVID twice. From the sounds of it he's struggled to fully recover from it and it could be a long COVID situation which is hampering him.

Might explain why it’s putting teams off him then. Hopefully it’s something that he can recover from as he’s too good a player to retire early due to long COVID. Would still take him even if the guy can’t run.

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Might explain why it’s putting teams off him then. Hopefully it’s something that he can recover from as he’s too good a player to retire early due to long COVID. Would still take him even if the guy can’t run.

It's probably the one thing that held him back especially when he started his career as a winger. He's never had pace.

4 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

It's probably the one thing that held him back especially when he started his career as a winger. He's never had pace.

Would gladly pay another FSS donation to have him back, doesn’t need pace in this league, the only player apart from Latapy that can turn/sidestep and pass and take the opposing team out of play. 

Problem in this league is you do need legs though something we don't have much of at the moment and has caused us real problems over recent seasons. We've got mcginn in the middle of the park so I'd think we'd be looking for a younger fitter partner for him that can get up and down the park all day long.  Our recent experiences of players returning hasn't gone well either with Alston and lot being poor and Paul Watson hardly shoring up the defence before getting crocked. 

Blowing the rest of our budget on Sibbs whilst there's still massive holes in the team to be filled would be a mistake in my opinion. He's technically very good on the ball but he's never been a runner and we desperately need legs in the middle of the park.

Niang from Partick would do nicely in beside McGinn for me. Big ball winner who's got the legs to get all over the park for a full 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Blowing the rest of our budget on Sibbs whilst there's still massive holes in the team to be filled would be a mistake in my opinion. He's technically very good on the ball but he's never been a runner and we desperately need legs in the middle of the park.

Niang from Partick would do nicely in beside McGinn for me. Big ball winner who's got the legs to get all over the park for a full 90 minutes.

...and the return of ex-players in recent years hasn't really worked in my opinion. There's too much nostalgia attached to ex-players returning and the expectations are set in relation to their past performances / achievements at the club. 

I'm not totally against Sibbald returning, but I think there's more sensible options out there.

6 minutes ago, Bairns1994 said:

...and the return of ex-players in recent years hasn't really worked in my opinion. There's too much nostalgia attached to ex-players returning and the expectations are set in relation to their past performances / achievements at the club. 

I'm not totally against Sibbald returning, but I think there's more sensible options out there.

He'd be a cherry on the top signing in my opinion but let's get the cake made first .

I don't understand the logic of saying we shouldn't sign a good player because he used to play for us and the existing squad has bad players in it?

Sibbald is a no brainer if he's willing to sign for us. He's been a really good player in a top flight team for years and is the sort who can win you matches. A midfield three of McGinn keeping things ticking over, a younger player going box to box and Sibbald pulling the strings is mouth watering.

Not quite on the same level but this reminds me of moon howlers on here turning their nose up at Kingsley when we were linked with him. Over-thinking things massively.

Won't matter anyway as Sibbs will get a better move than us and will be a standout in the league above.

Edited by Marshmallo

Something I don’t usually do is go on to other clubs’ threads but due to sheer boredom, over the last few weeks, I have been visiting other League 1 threads to see what their fans are saying. Without exception, they are all moaning about the lack of signings and they all seem to be indicating that there is indeed a dearth of players available to sign. Putting a positive spin on this, our utter dross of McKay, Ross, Wilson and Sneddon might now be viewed in a different light and be deemed worth signing by desperate clubs.

It still, of course, leaves us with the problem of signing new players but I would be absolutely delighted to get the aforementioned players out the door.

44 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't understand the logic of saying we shouldn't sign a good player because he used to play for us and the existing squad has bad players in it?

Sibbald is a no brainer if he's willing to sign for us. He's been a really good player in a top flight team for years and is the sort who can win you matches. A midfield three of McGinn keeping things ticking over, a younger player going box to box and Sibbald pulling the strings is mouth watering.

Not quite on the same level but this reminds me of moon howlers on here turning their nose up at Kingsley when we were linked with him. Over-thinking things massively.

Won't matter anyway as Sibbs will get a better move than us and will be a standout in the league above.

If we've got bags of cash then sign him but I doubt it The concern for a few of us is that signing up sibbald used up the budget and we don't have the cash left to bring in the young box to box midfielder or another striker say.  Man utd desperately needed a centre half and a defensive midfielder last season so they signed Ronaldo and lo and behold they were shite. We signed Griffith's last January when we were desperate for midfielders and centrehalfs and it did nothing for us.It's about filling the priority positions first .

Edited by Jackie Myles

2 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

If we've got bags of cash then sign him but I doubt it The concern for a few of us is that signing up sibbald used up the budget and we don't have the cash left to bring in the young box to box midfielder or another striker say.  Man utd desperately needed a centre half and a defensive midfielder last season so they signed Ronaldo and lo and behold they were shite. We signed Griffith's last January when we were desperate for midfielders and centrehalfs and it did nothing for us.It's about filling the priority positions first .

We disagree on priority positions in that case. There is next to no creativity in the side which to me is our biggest concern outside of a goalscorer up top. Sibbald would be the ideal player to fill a hole in midfield/behind a striker and will create plenty chances.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

We disagree on priority positions in that case. There is next to no creativity in the side which to me is our biggest concern outside of a goalscorer up top. Sibbald would be the ideal player to fill a hole in midfield/behind a striker and will create plenty chances.

Mcginn can create . Oliver can create.  Nesbitt, Morrison  and mcguffie can create if mcglynn can get more out of them. If we don't get legs in that midfield and a striker to put chances away it won't matter a feck how creative we are as we'll have the same problems we've had for seasons now in the middle of the park and noone to finish off anything created anyway.

Plus if he's struggling for fitness we can't afford to spunk a decent amount of the budget on someone who could miss a lot of games.  I wouldn't have a problem signing him if he's fit and he isn't going to prevent us signing the players we desperately need.

Edited by Jackie Myles