The Falkirk FC Thread

I'd love to see crunchie in his pomp  today he'd be unplayable. Players like Burke don't know how much easier it is to be that kind of player in the modern game. Players can't boot you up in the air for 90 mins like they did back then.  Two shirt tugs and your off these days. 

When he came back from Chelsea in the 91 /92 season he was different class altogether. Every other week he seemed to be scoring brilliant individual goals.  The ones against Dunfermline at East end and Hibs at Brockville where he beat 3 or 4 players on each occasion slaloming through the defence as if he was a ghost stood out.  You had to see him then to really know how bloody good he was.

Edited by Jackie Myles

20 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

I'd love to see crunchie in his pomp  today he'd be unplayable. Players like Burke don't know how much easier it is to be that kind of player in the modern game. Players can't boot you up in the air for 90 mins like they did back then.  Two shirt tugs and your off these days. 

When he came back from Chelsea in the 91 /92 season he was different class altogether. Every other week he seemed to be scoring brilliant individual goals.  The ones against Dunfermline at East end and Hibs at Brockville where he beat 3 or 4 players on each occasion slaloming through the defence as if he was a ghost stood out.  You had to see him then to really know how bloody good he was.

Andy Roxburgh needs repeatedly booted in the balls from now until forever for not selecting him for Scotland. Even once for a token appearance in a friendly! Absolutely disgusting, and I'm angrier about it now than I was at the time. It just beggars belief.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Andy Roxburgh needs repeatedly booted in the balls from now until forever for not selecting him for Scotland. Even once for a token appearance in a friendly! Absolutely disgusting, and I'm angrier about it now than I was at the time. It just beggars belief.

Craig brown too. The great thing about crunchie was that even though he was a winger and an excellent one at that he wasn't scared to do the dirty side of the game either. Defending and winning the ball back in his own half as much as attacking full backs in the other. Very few are interested in doing that.

11 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

Craig brown too. The great thing about crunchie was that even though he was a winger and an excellent one at that he wasn't scared to do the dirty side of the game either. Defending and winning the ball back in his own half as much as attacking full backs in the other. Very few are interested in doing that.

Watching the doc last night, it’s obvious that Nevin was Roxburgh’s “man” worked with him throughout the age groups, he knew him, trusted him etc. I agree a shame crunchie couldn’t get a call up for a friendly, but as we know managers have favourites and get blinkered. 

3 minutes ago, Hampden Roar said:

Watching the doc last night, it’s obvious that Nevin was Roxburgh’s “man” worked with him throughout the age groups, he knew him, trusted him etc. I agree a shame crunchie couldn’t get a call up for a friendly, but as we know managers have favourites and get blinkered. 

I always felt they were different styles of winger too. Nevin very technical but did all his work in the opponent's half whilst crunchie would run all day for you and put in a shift every game. He'd also track back far better than Nevin ever did.

48 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

I always felt they were different styles of winger too. Nevin very technical but did all his work in the opponent's half whilst crunchie would run all day for you and put in a shift every game. He'd also track back far better than Nevin ever did.

Nevin was a lightweight fidget. Fukim, the wee pseudo-intellectual avocado-eater. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Myles said:

We did tend to under utilise a lot of top class wingers as a nation. John Robertson, Davie Cooper, Peter Weir, Ralph Milne, Peter Weir as well as Crunchie and Nevin all had a lot less caps than James Forrest despite every single player I listed having far, far greater capability as players than Forrest.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

We did tend to under utilise a lot of top class wingers as a nation. John Robertson, Davie Cooper, Peter Weir, Ralph Milne, Peter Weir as well as Crunchie and Nevin all had a lot less caps than James Forrest despite every single player I listed having far, far greater capability as players than Forrest.

🎶There's only 2 Peter Weirs🎶

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Standard was far higher in those days too mind you. Dumplings like Lawrence shankland wouldn't have got near the Scotland team back then. Grant Hanley's got 45 caps and that for me says it all about the standard of the Scotland sides these days.

13 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Jaze off to Morton unsurprisingly with the imrie link to Martindale. 

At least that squashes one rumour.

Have I missed something? I thought it was just Jai Quitongo and Grant Gillespie they'd signed today?

*Just seen the story on the daily record website, disappointed we've not got him back as with a preseason behind him he'd have been a great addition.

Edited by FFC 1876

36 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

Standard was far higher in those days too mind you. Dumplings like Lawrence shankland wouldn't have got near the Scotland team back then. Grant Hanley's got 45 caps and that for me says it all about the standard of the Scotland sides these days.

The 1974 World Cup Squad were so unlucky and player for player possible the best we have put on the park.