The Falkirk FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Maybe spend more time trying to work out how to honour one of your own legends than focussing on how we honour ours. Can’t tell you how much time and effort has went in to this. To suggest that the perfect solution is just instantly achievable is disingenuous. 

So much I could comment on but not wasting my time.
As I said if you think you can do better then do it for your own club. Maybe then you’ll see it’s not quite as easy to achieve as you’d think and things aren’t always within your control. 

Oh there's no perfect solution, there are however better ones. Hence why for a club legend you're struggling to sell tickets. Maybe rather than looking around and blaming the fans for a poor uptake, ask why they aren't buying tickets. 

Or just keep trying to guilt trip them on here, whatever floats your boat. 

25 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Pars fan so I'm absolutely not going, just popped in to see if you had any transfer rumours in here and seen people judging fans for not going to what is, a glorified friendly. 

I absolutely would have had it on a weekend, because that's the best time to have it. Where the most people are available, in Nice weather, 1945 on a Friday night? Christ. 

If it really is all about the player I'd have it centred around the player, what about getting his favourite x11 he's played with? If your adament it has to be against some Killie side then see if you can get there Scottish cup winning side to have a "rematch", on the legends them again you could even have it as a bunch of players from that era, put some proceeds from the match to a charity of the players choice, or alternatively some proceeds go to the player. 

As it is, and this is the crux of the matter, the club or the organising commite haven't made it all about the player and it is a friendly. You could at least have had it with a side relevant to a happy memory of the player, due to the time of the year a Chelsea youth side might be out the question, but surely Hibs would have been better? If it has to be about the cup run then at least have it with a game where the player has fond memories? Who did you play through the run, in the semi finals? Surely to f**k for a club legend there's a club, or a game associated to him that isn't losing a cup final? Who wants to remind themselves of that? In 20 odd years are you having a game to commemorate James Vincent winning the Scottish Cup with Inverness? 

As for marketing I'd have no just how significant and important this is unless your battering about on this forum, on your website its not getting marketed as a "Kevin McCalister tribute game" it's getting hailed as a friendly. 

"TICKETS FOR KILMARNOCK FRIENDLY ON SALE NOW!

Tickets for our first friendly match of the season against Kilmarnock on Friday 24th June are on sale now! The match sets the scene for the opening of the Kevin McAllister stand as the club recognises its player of the millennium. Prices are as follows: Adults – £10 Concession/Under-18s – £5 Under 12s – £1…"

All the first part of that message are conveying that it's a friendly first, not a tribute match. Maybe you should try guilt trip fans through the official website? 

Ah, only a man with patter as funny as this would think a Friday night would help the attendance. 

I'm sure that he's held in massively high regards by your fanbase to have a stand named after him, so if ticket sails are struggling maybe not blame the fans? Maybe the problem might just be that it's been organised shite? It's a bugbear that the fault always lands at the feet of the fans for turning up, never on the organiser's or the board for putting something decent on for the fans to attend. 

Couldn't get past the first few lines of the Gettysburg address there without realising it was total shite. 

The idea that Crunchie could pick his favourite team mates, all about 60 now, and folk would pay a tenner to watch some walking football. Unbelievable stuff 

I think no matter what the game is unless there is a chance of tickets selling out it's difficult to get folk to buy tickets well in advance of a match. If people know they can either get them last minute or patg then they will do so. It's just the way folk are these days.

23 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Pars fan so I'm absolutely not going, just popped in to see if you had any transfer rumours in here and seen people judging fans for not going to what is, a glorified friendly. 

I absolutely would have had it on a weekend, because that's the best time to have it. Where the most people are available, in Nice weather, 1945 on a Friday night? Christ. 

If it really is all about the player I'd have it centred around the player, what about getting his favourite x11 he's played with? If your adament it has to be against some Killie side then see if you can get there Scottish cup winning side to have a "rematch", on the legends them again you could even have it as a bunch of players from that era, put some proceeds from the match to a charity of the players choice, or alternatively some proceeds go to the player. 

As it is, and this is the crux of the matter, the club or the organising commite haven't made it all about the player and it is a friendly. You could at least have had it with a side relevant to a happy memory of the player, due to the time of the year a Chelsea youth side might be out the question, but surely Hibs would have been better? If it has to be about the cup run then at least have it with a game where the player has fond memories? Who did you play through the run, in the semi finals? Surely to f**k for a club legend there's a club, or a game associated to him that isn't losing a cup final? Who wants to remind themselves of that? In 20 odd years are you having a game to commemorate James Vincent winning the Scottish Cup with Inverness? 

As for marketing I'd have no just how significant and important this is unless your battering about on this forum, on your website its not getting marketed as a "Kevin McCalister tribute game" it's getting hailed as a friendly. 

Tickets for our first friendly match of the season against Kilmarnock on Friday 24th June are on sale now! The match sets the scene for the opening of the Kevin McAllister stand as the club recognises its player of the millennium. Prices are as follows: Adults – £10 Concession/Under-18s – £5 Under 12s – £1…"

All the first part of that message are conveying that it's a friendly first, not a tribute match. Maybe you should try guilt trip fans through the official website? 

Ah, only a man with patter as funny as this would think a Friday night would help the attendance. 

I'm sure that he's held in massively high regards by your fanbase to have a stand named after him, so if ticket sails are struggling maybe not blame the fans? Maybe the problem might just be that it's been organised shite? It's a bugbear that the fault always lands at the feet of the fans for turning up, never on the organiser's or the board for putting something decent on for the fans to attend. 

It's not a testimonial match, it's a friendly to open the Kevin McAllister stand. It's took a great deal of effort to even have this friendly, due to our previously uninterested board members and several other barriers, which has been discussed before on this thread.

I don't think you realise how hard it is to even organise a game/stadium change like this, let alone trying to organise a "legends" match with ex players like you suggested. It must be so easy eh.

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Couldn't get past the first few lines of the Gettysburg address there without realising it was total shite. 

The idea that Crunchie could pick his favourite team mates, all about 60 now, and folk would pay a tenner to watch some walking football. Unbelievable stuff 

Friendlies are a step above walking football, hence why fans normally can't be arsed with them. Hence why you should've went for something different, whether that's some form of legends game, opposition that you don't play all that often, something. 

It's unbelievable stuff that a game marketed as a friendly on a Friday night against Kilmarnock has people wondering why ticket sales are slow, you should hopefully get a bump in Patg sales, but even then surely you would've got more on a Saturday afternoon with some hopefully nice weather? 

21 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Friendlies are a step above walking football, hence why fans normally can't be arsed with them. Hence why you should've went for something different, whether that's some form of legends game, opposition that you don't play all that often, something. 

It's unbelievable stuff that a game marketed as a friendly on a Friday night against Kilmarnock has people wondering why ticket sales are slow, you should hopefully get a bump in Patg sales, but even then surely you would've got more on a Saturday afternoon with some hopefully nice weather? 

Aye easy to get 50 players together who can make it, happy to travel and still able to play. Great spectacle for fans too. 

Friday night matches have been well attended the past number of seasons, as was Crunchie’s testimonial(also a Friday). Schools end on the 24th of June too so a lot of people will be heading off on Saturday and away for the couple of weeks after. 

You are correct about the weather though. Saturday afternoons are always amazing and Friday nights are horrible ofcourse! Not sure what we were thinking with that one.

Anyway enough time wasted trying to explain. Go do a campaign like this yourself and then you can do whatever you think is best. 

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Want a ticket man?

Travelling from Glasgow to take in KM match with a full car. Understand everyone’s situation and difficult predicaments, but some of the conjecture spouted is way off. This guy is a true Falkirk legend and for the stand to be renamed is fitting for such a player. Yes a tenner to reward Kevin ( and club) isn’t that bad. ( Patg could be a good move as I don’t disagree that there could be many make the decision on the day to attend)

31 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Aye easy to get 50 players together who can make it, happy to travel and still able to play. Great spectacle for fans too. 

Friday night matches have been well attended the past number of seasons, as was Crunchie’s testimonial(also a Friday). Schools end on the 24th of June too so a lot of people will be heading off on Saturday and away for the couple of weeks after. 

You are correct about the weather though. Saturday afternoons are always amazing and Friday nights are horrible ofcourse! Not sure what we were thinking with that one.

Anyway enough time wasted trying to explain. Go do a campaign like this yourself and then you can do whatever you think is best. 

Should've tried harder then eh? 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Think you need a life mate 🙈

12 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Crazy that you wouldn't unveil the stand before the first Pars game, when you'd be guaranteed a big crowd.

Then it's just the Pars game where we renamed a stand instead of a game to honour our Player of the Millenium who is having a stand named in his honour. 

It's a subtle change but makes a world of difference.

Edited by Blame Me
Typo

12 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Then it's just the Pars game where we renamed a stand instead of a game to honour our Player of the Millenium who is having a stand named in his honour. 

Would make an even bigger difference if it was marketed more along those lines, the way it comes across on your website is that it's a friendly where you're renaming a stand. 

13 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Think you need a life mate 🙈

You're here posting on the exact same forum. 

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Would make an even bigger difference if it was marketed more along those lines, the way it comes across on your website is that it's a friendly where you're renaming a stand. 

You're here posting on the exact same 

24 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Clearly not judging by the ticket sales.

Hopefully they can shift some more but does seem like a waste.

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

At a pretty costly time in the season where fans will be paying for St's, new strips etc. 

I read the justification for the Friday night and it seems pretty wild, likewise the choice of opponent. I appreciate I'm the outside looking in but I find it surprising that people seem shocked that ticket sales aren't surging. People can still like and revere the player, as well as having other priorities in life, and for some a friendly is pretty far down the priority list. The guilt tripping going on here is very odd. 

You are not outside looking in. You are outside pissing in.
If your mob do something similar, here’s my promise to you…..I will not go onto the Dunfermline thread to pass comment on who goes and who doesn’t, who can afford it, and who can’t. Not will I question the opposition or the day of the week the game is played. 

11 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

You are not outside looking in. You are outside pissing in.
If your mob do something similar, here’s my promise to you…..I will not go onto the Dunfermline thread to pass comment on who goes and who doesn’t, who can afford it, and who can’t. Not will I question the opposition or the day of the week the game is played. 

If you're that passionate about other fans posting on your thread then PnB isn't for you, maybe best to go to whatever single club forum Falkirk have. 

9 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Time for you to f**k off. Ply your neediness elsewhere.

Hard to take a poster that can't multiquote seriously tbh. 

Edited by Grant228