The Falkirk FC Thread

6 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Are clubs with larger fan bases not allowed to rent they’re pitches or facilities out for hire like? Maybe to the Shire every second week, or at nights to the local community, or maybe even to bands like the Killers ect. There must have been near a dozen summer concerts at the stadium now. Falkirks main issue right now is being stuck in league one because we have appointed a series of poor managers/players. Not only are there near zero away fans down here the prize money is also down circa 400k from what it is in the league above and down a million from what was is in the premier. On top of that attraction of sponsorship ect becomes harder, without our healthy support we’d already be part time! To say that support in numbers makes no difference to a football club is absolute ignorance/stupidity to be honest, clubs with considerably smaller fan bases wouldn’t have been able to sustain full time football for 4 seasons in this division without the help of a sugar daddy. The large and loyal support shelling out money every season is at least one thing the club can be proud off despite the fact it seems to annoy you. 

Falkirk haven't been able to maintain full time football for 4 seasons due to fan income.  That is clear from the statement released by your current board.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's incredible that Falkirk fans still think crowd size is relevant to finances. 😅😅😅

A whole host of clubs above you make a fortune from other means. We earn more through our suites alone than you earn in season ticket money. Livingston I believe make a fortune hiring out their pitch. (😂😂😂)

Ross County are the outliers but are you expecting them to drop any further than ICT?😅😅😅😅 Who still look well set for top flight football regularly. UNCLE ROY

This idea that clubs will "find their level" based on crowd size is nothing more than dreaming 😂😂😂😂😂. Below the top 5 clubs in the country, crowd size becomes irrelevant 😅🥹😅😅😅😅if you can bring in money elsewhere. An extra 1000 fans is nothing.😅😅😅😅😅😅

This is laughable. So far beyond parody, it’s utterly ridiculous. Complete and utter horseshit.

11 minutes ago, strichener said:

Falkirk haven't been able to maintain full time football for 4 seasons due to fan income.  That is clear from the statement released by your current board.

There's full time football then there's paying folk off every season due to them being utter horse shit . If you keep doing that it costs you a lot of money.  Full time football isn't the problem . Airdrie for example are full time and can afford it.  We can afford full time football we just can't afford to keep having to pay off players and management every year.

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Revisionist pish.

Brockville was beyond redevelopment.

Being too young to have had the pleasure of visiting Brockville, What were the reasons for the inability to redevelop? 

For a long time I would have thought the site limitations around Somerset Park would have made it impossible for redevelopment, but recent plans have proven otherwise and there seems to be a real possibility of modernising the place.

56 minutes ago, strichener said:

You do realise we have actually continued to operate a full time set up for the last 4 years despite relegation and having to pay off multiple management teams ect, posted profits in two out of the 4 previous financial years published and carry no debt? 😂 All done on the back of money the fans have generated including the largest single investment the club has had since 1997 via the patrons group. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

Of course it could have been redeveloped.

Terracing upgraded to take seating and roofed.

New toilets and refreshment facilities

Entry and Exits brought up to date

New grandstand

I remember at the time the club looked into doing up Brockville to the then SPL standards and I’m sure the maximum we could get in the site was either 6 or 8000 seats. It wasn’t an option because of the stupid SPL criteria of 10000 seats at the time.

I remember at the time the club looked into doing up Brockville to the then SPL standards and I’m sure the maximum we could get in the site was either 6 or 8000 seats. It wasn’t an option because of the stupid SPL criteria of 10000 seats at the time.

If I remember correct there was a possibility of 8000 if we rotated the pitch 90o. Unfortunately 10000 was never a possibility and I suspect the authorities would have increased it to 12000 to stop us. Sorry that’s just one of the chips on my shoulder talking.

4 minutes ago, brokeville said:

If I remember correct there was a possibility of 8000 if we rotated the pitch 90o. Unfortunately 10000 was never a possibility and I suspect the authorities would have increased it to 12000 to stop us. Sorry that’s just one of the chips on my shoulder talking.

If I mind right there was a few ideas floating about one being turning the stadium 180 and building that way, another idea touted was of making it 2 tier

9 minutes ago, brokeville said:

I agree, the powers that be seemed to bend over backwards then to help out other clubs but for some reason done f*ck all to help us in anyway. That’s the massive chip on my shoulder talking.

3 hours ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

How could they do that - the railway line was a huge issue and the cost of buying land around the stadium was prohibitive. One idea to turn the pitch by 30 degrees and build around it was costed and it was astonishing. Never mind where was the money coming from - our only major source of funding was selling the place. 

I loved it and I miss it but redevelopment was never an option and we were also facing the corruption that was the Goldies (and others - a certain Lord Provost threatened me with evicting my parents from their council house if I kept being a thorn in the side of the council - luckily my folks had bought it only months before so his threats meant nothing but what shame a Labour man threatening that.

I have been and still am Labour through and through ( Ieven worked for them for 15 years full time) but the Falkirk Labour group at that time was rancid and I am pleased I was able to f**k them over in the by-elections by placing certain stories in the press and helping Dennis Canavan when he stood against them (I didn't even agree with his politics completely but a decent moral man).

A deal was done in the late 70's to rebuild Brockville. It was as you have stated turning the pitch, but also moving slightly to the railway. Cooperage Lane would have become a tunnel under the home end. There used to be an artist picture as you entered the players entrance on the left hand wall. 

To make it happen we had to buy the house that was behind Watson Street end going into the car park. At that time it was unlivable but not yet a ruin. The story was that the person with the title deeds was living in Australia. There was a lot of unrest within the Directors that the ground should be rebuilt, but a director was sent to get the owners signature. In these days it was 2 days to get there and by the time he got there the Directors coo had happened and a new board put in place with the rebuild cancelled.  

32 minutes ago, Rufus said:

A deal was done in the late 70's to rebuild Brockville. It was as you have stated turning the pitch, but also moving slightly to the railway. Cooperage Lane would have become a tunnel under the home end. There used to be an artist picture as you entered the players entrance on the left hand wall. 

To make it happen we had to buy the house that was behind Watson Street end going into the car park. At that time it was unlivable but not yet a ruin. The story was that the person with the title deeds was living in Australia. There was a lot of unrest within the Directors that the ground should be rebuilt, but a director was sent to get the owners signature. In these days it was 2 days to get there and by the time he got there the Directors coo had happened and a new board put in place with the rebuild cancelled.  

In the 60-70's the house behind the car park terracing was the club house for the greenkeeper.

Remember the Silcock's  (who by the way kept the playing surface going with no funds) living there.

2 hours ago, AuAl said:

Being too young to have had the pleasure of visiting Brockville, What were the reasons for the inability to redevelop? 

For a long time I would have thought the site limitations around Somerset Park would have made it impossible for redevelopment, but recent plans have proven otherwise and there seems to be a real possibility of modernising the place.

Brockville was a bearpit of a stadium. Few feet from the playing surface and no matter who came to play there they were intimidated.

At 2.40 as the pre match away managers team talk fans in the grandstand above the away dressing room would start drumming their feet while the window to the dressing room opening on the enclosure was having the wire cage banged and all sorts of abuse shouted. Then the run out of the tunnel with fans giving them hell.

Then the dogs abuse the away dug out got from kick off to final whistle

Happy days.

When in full flow there was not a ground in Scotland no matter the size to match it.

Sure it was a dump - but it was our dump.