The Falkirk FC Thread

39 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

If he's got that much cash you'd think he'd use it to try and get lesser Hampden built this decade. How a stadium that size can take so long to build is beyond me.

I was told by a work colleague that its to do with the main (only stand) stand at lesser Hampden being a historically listed structure so the planning is taking much longer than anticipated for them to make improvements to the rest of the area.

6 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

I was told by a work colleague that its to do with the main (only stand) stand at lesser Hampden being a historically listed structure so the planning is taking much longer than anticipated for them to make improvements to the rest of the area.

He must be greasing the wrong palms .

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Do you not think he makes a valid point tho? We have seen this before with Livingston, Grentna ect

To be fair Livingston limped onwards with only regular 700-1000 fans and are having a decent era right now. It's a gamble to sustain to when/if you reach a level of self sufficiency. Falkirk's finance statements indicate a similar approach of speculating to accumulate albeit without the backing of a singular sugar daddy.

But so far I think it might be shrewd. I like Falkirk's first few signings - I'm ambivalent on the latest ones but last year's centre back showings were comical at best - and PJ is quality so I think that'll be a massive improvement.

1 hour ago, The Laddie Gastineau said:

You must be "over the moon" about signing Benedictus. I know we certainly are. 

I have no real opinion on it tbh. Find it hard to believe he can be much worse than some of the jokers we had at the back last season but we'll just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

Seems strange that Raith have only given Spencer another year, has he had injury problems before? 

I suspect he wants to keep options open, and also to wait to see how Murray’s tactics play out. He’s probably had some nibbles, but needs a solid year to lock in a move upward.

8 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

From the club statement today 

'Replace the playing surface at the Falkirk Stadium within the next 2 to 3 years and carry out further Stadium maintenance, as well as, in the longer-term, consider our options for the future development of stadium infrastructure'

Hang on here 'Further stadium maintenance' that must be up to the council who own the damn thing and charge the club mighty for using it. With the extra bonus of oncosts such as electricity seconded staff etc with a healthy % mark up.

As Shadwell so eloquently outlined a few weeks ago we are leaseholders and all the club own is the playing surface not the ground it sits on. Seats in the grandstand but not the grandstand.

'Stadium maintenance' should be up to the owners ie the council. Why should the club invest in the improvement of the stadium infrastructure when we have no financial benefit in the increased value it accrues to the worth of the stadium complex.

Not unless the council got us to sign up to maintaining and improving their white elephant for them.

This stadium stitch up rely does piss me off.

I am sure way back when that “stadium maintenance” guidance was set down that the council are indeed liable for the majority of it……..75%(?). If the council choose to spend £500k on the stadium, I am pretty sure that they would expect (demand) that FFC shell out £125k of that.

Sadly, I believe the call of when and how much sits entirely with the council. If FFC said to the council we need you to spend £Xk, the council can say “no chance”. If the council say we are going to spend £XXk, FFC cannot say “no chance”.

9 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

A QP poster said Haughey has agreed to invest for 8 years so time to establish the club.

I think Mr Haughey is already drawing his horns in given the overspend at Little Hampden, high wages, and the likelihood of a home support < 200 at Ochilview.

6 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

So does that mean in 8 years time QP will have built a steady 8-10,000 fan base that will support the wage bill for high quality players, DOF, CEO and other hangers on without needing supplementary cash injections? Just wondering. Seems a bit far fetched.

It’s totally far fetched. The greater Glasgow dividing lines are fully drawn. Rangers Celtic Partick Thistle fans won’t go near QP as it will only exist above L1 provided a Haughey type life support machine is in place. They will not “organically grow”. The minute a sugar daddy exits, down they will go. Ross County populate a similar orbit. Uncle Roy steps away, and down they go too.

Thankfully, Ian Murray and raith aren’t really our problem next season. I think they’ve got rid of what they could get rid of and kept the key players they needed to - and can now recruit as they want to. Can see them being comfortably top 4 or better next season. 

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

To be fair Livingston limped onwards with only regular 700-1000 fans and are having a decent era right now. It's a gamble to sustain to when/if you reach a level of self sufficiency. Falkirk's finance statements indicate a similar approach of speculating to accumulate albeit without the backing of a singular sugar daddy.

But so far I think it might be shrewd. I like Falkirk's first few signings - I'm ambivalent on the latest ones but last year's centre back showings were comical at best - and PJ is quality so I think that'll be a massive improvement.

Livingston function with an entirely separate income stream though.

It's incredible that Falkirk fans still think crowd size is relevant to finances.

A whole host of clubs above you make a fortune from other means. We earn more through our suites alone than you earn in season ticket money. Livingston I believe make a fortune hiring out their pitch.

Ross County are the outliers but are you expecting them to drop any further than ICT? Who still look well set for top flight football regularly.

This idea that clubs will "find their level" based on crowd size is nothing more than dreaming. Below the top 5 clubs in the country, crowd size becomes irrelevant if you can bring in money elsewhere. An extra 1000 fans is nothing.

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Falkirk already have the infrastructure, fan base and stadium to sustain themselves at a higher level without the need for a sugar daddy, QP obviously don’t, your comparing apples and oranges. I really really hope not but the QP situation has all the hallmarks of another Gretna for me. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's incredible that Falkirk fans still think crowd size is relevant to finances.

A whole host of clubs above you make a fortune from other means. We earn more through our suites alone than you earn in season ticket money. Livingston I believe make a fortune hiring out their pitch.

Ross County are the outliers but are you expecting them to drop any further than ICT? Who still look well set for top flight football regularly.

This idea that clubs will "find their level" based on crowd size is nothing more than dreaming. Below the top 5 clubs in the country, crowd size becomes irrelevant if you can bring in money elsewhere. An extra 1000 fans is nothing.

Are clubs with larger fan bases not allowed to rent they’re pitches or facilities out for hire like? Maybe to the Shire every second week, or at nights to the local community, or maybe even to bands like the Killers ect. There must have been near a dozen summer concerts at the stadium now. Falkirks main issue right now is being stuck in league one because we have appointed a series of poor managers/players. Not only are there near zero away fans down here the prize money is also down circa 400k from what it is in the league above and down a million from what was is in the premier. On top of that attraction of sponsorship ect becomes harder, without our healthy support we’d already be part time! To say that support in numbers makes no difference to a football club is absolute ignorance/stupidity to be honest, clubs with considerably smaller fan bases wouldn’t have been able to sustain full time football for 4 seasons in this division without the help of a sugar daddy. The large and loyal support shelling out money every season is at least one thing the club can be proud off despite the fact it seems to annoy you. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The mercenaries that run Scottish football (SPL) protect their own. I have no factual information you are referring to, but cant disagree that you make more money from you’re hospitality suites, considering the poor attendances you get.

What you’ve failed to mention is the riches you get being simply for being in the SPL. Referring that extra 1000 fans to any team outside the SPL is nothing ? Get a Fckn grip mate.

Guest Ecosse83
55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolute bollocks mate!