The Falkirk FC Thread

Brilliant from the club today, McGinn could be the signing of the summer.

Team taking a bit of shape but I’d expect at least another 3 incoming (more if we can offload some shite) Give me an out and out striker, Sibbs and some legs and I’d be delighted.

I don’t think McCann is any kind of world beater, but tbh I think even Andy Robertson would struggle at LB if he had Paul Dixon, Aaron-Taylor Sinclair, Ben Hall or Brad McKay playing on his inside.
Aye this is a fairly important point also.

The modern fullback at all levels except the very top and even in many cases there involves a tradeoff between attack and defense. If you want to use your fullback to provide width in the attack you have to allow for an amount of defensive frailty, in McCanns case, hes seen as being too wee for a defender. He's not someone you could level "mistake prone" or "bad defender" at for me, he's just a bit wee.

Teams getting one over on him height wise last season had a very good chance of getting something from it, because once you were goal side of McCann, you had a free run at any of the above combinations of utter clowns.

McCann is good in attack and solid enough without being great in defence.

Sean Mackie hasn't signed not to play, but the McCann criticisms on here for me are way over the top. It's like we haven't learned about writing apparently good players off once they come here and are forced to play with utter shite and be mismanaged by hairdressers and PE teachers.

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

Not according to the stats sadly. Was good for losing (on average) a goal every game he played and it was telling he was dropped for McGuffie to play there instead of him. I’d love him to be the Airdrie player we saw but we didn’t at all sadly. 

:huh:You can actually say that the stats prove that McCann was responsible for losing a goal in every game he played?

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Given we need a squad, I'd have kept Telfer.

I said that at the end of the season, out of Telfer, McGuffie, Nesbitt and Morrison that Telfer is the one I would have kept. He was out of contract though and easy to get rid of.  Out of the four, for me he was the best player and would have really benefited a Stephen McGinn type in there with him.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Given we need a squad, I'd have kept Telfer.

Can only assume McGlynn thought he could make better use of his wage, as Telfer was our best player last season so it was a strange one letting him go.

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Get it with Telfer, a very decent player and should have used that skill every Saturday, however couldn’t be half arsed most games, goodbye 👋 

Can't agree. I do think that his head dropped in a lot of games but he was usually here, there and everywhere trying to make things happen and covering for others. If he had some better players alongside him he'd have been very effective IMO.

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Can't agree. I do think that his head dropped in a lot of games but he was usually here, there and everywhere trying to make things happen and covering for others. If he had some better players alongside him he'd have been very effective IMO.

Yeah I agree, for me he continually tried to make things happen and didn’t hide. He is just a victim of Holts piss poor recruitment and the fact we have so many absolute duffers on longer contracts. I suppose it’s all about opinions though.

57 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

:huh:You can actually say that the stats prove that McCann was responsible for losing a goal in every game he played?

Not my stats 😂, I’m not that much of a geek. That came from our coaching staff at one of the pub tour events. 

Telfer was a good player for us but his ability was probably amplified given the utter dross he had to play alongside in his 3 years here. Shat out of the odd 50/50 tackle but again not helped by the fact that the other players who were meant to be doing the dirty side of the game couldn't even do that. Dont agree that he 'hid' at any point in games either, a loss but not irreplaceable 

Telfer had the talent to easily be one of the best players in this league but only managed to hit the heights once in a blue moon unfortunately.  Didn't help him having to play alongside the likes of hetherington and miller but I still feel he has the talent to be able to run midfields at this level.