The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Possibly a stupid question but would we lose the ability to hold these type of events if we had 4 stands? I am unaware where any of their other gigs were prior to last night but looking at their upcoming schedule the only football stadium that I recognise is Norwich City's Carrow Road which is a much bigger stadium then TFS. Perhaps having only 3 stands is a bonus? (for now, anyway).

No expert in concerts, but the huge stage/set up was a perfect fit for not having a fourth stand. An educated guess is that the stadium wouldn’t have been chosen for such a gig.

Not sure if true or random shite, but overheard that there was over twenty thousand tickets sold for each nights gig, certainly exiting the stadium felt like that sort of numbers. If true the two gigs would have a value of roughly £2.7M, + add ons. Interesting to see what cut the club gets.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Possibly a stupid question but would we lose the ability to hold these type of events if we had 4 stands? I am unaware where any of their other gigs were prior to last night but looking at their upcoming schedule the only football stadium that I recognise is Norwich City's Carrow Road which is a much bigger stadium then TFS. Perhaps having only 3 stands is a bonus? (for now, anyway).

Having the 3 stands certainly helps in terms of capacity because we can use every section of the stands and full pitch (rather than say 2/3s) as the stage can sit where the 4th stand would go. There arent many venues outside of the 50k+ stadiums  that can hold 20-25,000 and our location also makes it very attractive. I'd hope the concerts would coninue though if we ever get the stadium finished 

2 hours ago, Braes_Bairn said:

If commercial income can’t be increased where are we going to plug the gap from as it doesn’t sound like any of the patrons have the funds to put in significant new investment.

The old MSG were slaughtered on here for giving the club soft loans - however at least we had a handful of very wealthy individuals who could write a cheque when times got tough. Ok they got paid back but where will we get funds now to get through any cash flow problems or even to fund the new pitch?

Graeme Stewart has been brought in to replace Sammy with his main objective being to raise £300k - £400k. Given the success of last night and the amazing reaction on social media, I’m sure he is already sourcing out other top bands to perform at the stadium as he has seen what a success it will be. It seems like a no brainier to keep shopping in that area as it’s good for the club.

11 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I really don't want this to come across as pissy cause I know the FSS guys have a power of work they have to do, but does anyone else feel like they've gone a tad quiet? This feels like the perfect time to ramp up a recruitment drive. 

They might be starting to feel like they are banging they’re head against a brick wall, the guys have put in a power of time and effort all 100% voluntary and in my opinion have been pretty visible yet the reaction/take up from the fans has been poor, the shambles with the B4L thing has complicated things as well. Comparable size or smaller clubs have run similar fan ownership schemes to the FSS and have double our numbers. I’m starting to think the guys may be flogging a dead horse now and should perhaps move on to fund raising events to augment the share purchases, perhaps splitting the money raised with charities. That’s of course if they still have the motivation and time to do it.  

Edited by LatapyBairn.

21 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I really don't want this to come across as pissy cause I know the FSS guys have a power of work they have to do, but does anyone else feel like they've gone a tad quiet? This feels like the perfect time to ramp up a recruitment drive. 

There's a letter from FSS in the season ticket pack, there have been 2 newsletters to members since the end of season,  another is planned for the Crunchie game,  leaflets were put out at both DIrectors' meetings last week, the website is continually updated with news stories although it was slightly slow this week because of the webmistress on holiday, there will be other recruitment drives at the start of the season. The numbers of people joining has gone up recently but in tens not hundreds which is what we need. 

And, in my own personal opinion, people will join in larger numbers once they see things happening that are positive on the pitch - it is the same as ticket/season ticket sales a winning team causes enthusiasm. When the news is only bad then people are discouraged and stay away/don't sign up. I hope that we will have a new optimism under McGlynn and the signings which will come in the next few weeks will have a positive effect on everyone.

I also think transparency makes a huge difference and I think that is the one thing we've managed to change so far.

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

8 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

They might be starting to feel like they are banging they’re head against a brick wall, the guys have put in a power of time and effort all 100% voluntary and in my opinion have been pretty visible yet the reaction/take up from the fans has been poor, the shambles with the B4L thing has complicated things as well. Comparable size or smaller clubs have run similar fan ownership schemes to the FSS and have double our numbers. I’m starting to think the guys may be flogging a dead horse now and should perhaps move on to fund raising events to augment the share purchases, perhaps splitting the money raised with charities. That’s of course if they still have the motivation and time to do it.  

Giving up after a few months, because the uptake has been slightly low, after out worst season in literal decades, and a decade plus of sustained decline anyway, is not the way to go. This is a long term project and other clubs only have the numbers they do because they stuck at it for years. 

18 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

They might be starting to feel like they are banging they’re head against a brick wall, the guys have put in a power of time and effort all 100% voluntary and in my opinion have been pretty visible yet the reaction/take up from the fans has been poor, the shambles with the B4L thing has complicated things as well. 

Nope I would suggest anything but - the people involved, myself included, are all still very much up for it. And we welcome others to get involved - it's not a closed shop.

I used to be heavily involved in the original Back the Bairns from when we were in liquidation and I know our support will stand up no matter how grim things might get. 

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

Agree, now is not the time to give up. Far from it. 400+ members has been fairly static BUT over £5000-6000 per month buying shares in OUR club is fantastic and is only the beginning. As has been said previously, a winning team and the feel good factor returning means fans want to support various initiatives like ours or the clubs activities too. It’ll happen. 

29 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

There's a letter from FSS in the season ticket pack, there have been 2 newsletters to members since the end of season,  another is planned for the Crunchie game,  leaflets were put out at both DIrectors' meetings last week, the website is continually updated with news stories although it was slightly slow this week because of the webmistress on holiday, there will be other recruitment drives at the start of the season. The numbers of people joining has gone up recently but in tens not hundreds which is what we need. 

And, in my own personal opinion, people will join in larger numbers once they see things happening that are positive on the pitch - it is the same as ticket/season ticket sales a winning team causes enthusiasm. When the news is only bad then people are discouraged and stay away/don't sign up. I hope that we will have a new optimism under McGlynn and the signings which will come in the next few weeks will have a positive effect on everyone.

I also think transparency makes a huge difference and I think that is the one thing we've managed to change so far.

Good to hear. 

Pleased there is something in the ST pack. That was one thing I had found strange in all the season ticket announcements. Loads of stuff about contributing to charities etc but nothing about FSS. 

Agree, if we get off to flyer start of the season things will become much easier. 

Guest Ecosse83

The Killers… just wow. They were absolutely brilliant! 

The atmosphere reminded me of the Hibs game in the play off. Hopefully those times return soon enough 🤞

18 hours ago, Sarah67 said:

Martin Rennie has guided them in terms of football structure on what “a well run club looks like”

*inhales sharply through teeth*

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Graeme Stewart has been brought in to replace Sammy with his main objective being to raise £300k - £400k. Given the success of last night and the amazing reaction on social media, I’m sure he is already sourcing out other top bands to perform at the stadium as he has seen what a success it will be. It seems like a no brainier to keep shopping in that area as it’s good for the club.

Pretty sure concerts are not part of the Commercial Managers remit and are handled by an arms length events organisation.

3 hours ago, Braes_Bairn said:

I do not understand why on earth we would be spending money on a training ground when we are incurring such massive losses? How is that a good use of budget? Added to that the gym is at the stadium - is that now going to sit unused or will the players be going back and forth between both? All this pitch talk seems crazy when was good enough when we were flying high at the top of the championship and for every other club with a plastic pitch.

An outstanding show at the Stadium last night - so clearly not everything done by previous regimes was bad, some effort to get a band of such a stature to come to Falkirk. Replace the pitch with grass and it’ll be so much harder to get gigs like these as you’ll be restricted to such a small window for shows.

On the point of the gym. I assume that can be relocated as it is only equipment and that space could probably be utilised as for commercial uses very much like the SS bar. It could possibly become an extension of it on matchdays.

1 hour ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I joined FSS more than 2 months ago and haven't had a single email from them as yet. I've had it confirmed that I'm a member (had to contact them myself as they don't send any confirmation of membership) and told I'm on the distribution list for comms so can only assume they've sent nothing at all in that time.

For contrast, I bought a ticket for a Bonnyrigg Rose playoff game a few weeks ago and they now send me a weekly newsletter. 

Edited by Marshmallo

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I joined FSS more than 2 months ago and haven't had a single email from them as yet. I've had it confirmed that I'm a member (had to contact them myself as they don't send any confirmation of membership) and told I'm on the distribution list for comms so can only assume they've sent nothing at all in that time.

For contrast, I bought a ticket for a Bonnyrigg Rose playoff game a few weeks ago and they now send me a weekly newsletter. 

Last newsletter was 5th May. Check your junk/spam folder mate. 

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Patched by the club for season ticket renewal, patched by the supporters organisation. Now while I suspect a stinging knockback isn't a new experience for you wee red dot Rambo, maybe, just maybe, they are trying to tell you something.

29 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

The Killers… just wow. They were absolutely brilliant! 

The atmosphere reminded me of the Hibs game in the play off. Hopefully those times return soon enough 🤞

Sorry to deviate from the fitba' ... any suggestions on parking for tonight?