The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, printer said:

He starred in the Alloa team that won promotion to the Championship and then did very well at that level. Not sure what ambition beyond that Falkirk have at present?

It's signing players the standard of hetherington that has got us in this mess.  Season you went up you were a mile behind Ayr   and Raith in the league but got in through the playoffs against Raith and a  dreadful Dumbarton side . Starring in that side isn't anything to shout about. Season after you managed to lose to us twice and we were honking under McKinnon.

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I don’t think I’ve ever went on another clubs thread to tell them how shite any of our ex players have been when they’ve signed them, just cba to be honest.

it's honestly frightening how massive we are, these smaller clubs really get their nickers in a twist about a club division(s) below...

3 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

This will always be the risk and got to hope we're now scouting players far more thoroughly than games against us or a couple of trial games against students.  

McCann also looked good for Airdrie but has been disappointing.  Ballantyne is another whose looked good when up against us but how good is he exactly? Another McCann/Hetherington or capable of stepping up?

Couldn't disagree more TBH.

It's difficult to show how good you are when you're sitting on the bench. Despite his lack of height and stature he was still a better defensive option than either ATS or Dixon and far, far better than either going forward. When he played he was our biggest threat down the left IMO.

No idea if McGlynn rates him or not but, if I was him, I wouldn't be looking for a LB.

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I only follow Falkirk.  Don't give a donkey about other teams so generally don't know about players like this.

That's ridiculous. Any follower of a football team will pick up info about other clubs by simply watching them play against you, reading match reports, engaging in speculation, and just generally having their senses operating.

1 hour ago, Tony mac said:

He was originally at Livingston and was a complete liability, can’t believe we got approximately &£200k for him , has found his level with Falkirk should manage to keep you where you belong level 3 of Scottish football.

Get a wee semi going typing that guff?

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What looks like a positive start on our recruitment. Good to see a manager that can persuade that players Falkirk is the place to be. Let's face it Holt would still be talking to his 12th striker option just now. Guarded optimism that we might finally be heading in the right direction.

Seriously doubt that Holt spoke to 12 players in the entirety of his time with us.

The ultimate wage thief.

1 hour ago, Tony mac said:

He was originally at Livingston and was a complete liability, can’t believe we got approximately &£200k for him , has found his level with Falkirk should manage to keep you where you belong level 3 of Scottish football.

You didn’t get £200k for him - your accounts may have shown that you got £200k for him, but you didn’t. Martindale’s £200k went into your account dirty, and came out clean.

No idea where Martindale’s £200k came from mind you ????

44 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

That's ridiculous. Any follower of a football team will pick up info about other clubs by simply watching them play against you, reading match reports, engaging in speculation, and just generally having their senses operating.

Yes, you probably are in a bad mood as your profile says.  I am a 60 year old woman who still supports her home team despite being away from Falkirk for nearly 40 years.  Forgive me if I don't read match reports of other teams or keep an eye open for players we might sign in the future etc.  I did watch every Falkirk game, home an away last season via live stream, every single kick of the ball.  My senses are still working (most of them anyway).  I am passionate about Falkirk.  I don't care about football in general if it hasn't got a Falkirk angle.   Sorry if that makes you think I am ridiculous.  

16 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You didn’t get £200k for him - your accounts may have shown that you got £200k for him, but you didn’t. Martindale’s £200k went into your account dirty, and came out clean.

No idea where Martindale’s £200k came from mind you ????

Donaldson was never going to be well liked at livi. He's never assaulted anyone,  dealt drugs or pleasured himself in public.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Two signings by McGlynn so far, Arbroath fans rate Henderson and Pars fans rate Donaldson. Wtf is going on, we don’t sign players that previous clubs fans rate, we aren’t used to this. We normally only sign players that from day one their previous clubs fans tell us they are utter shite and 99.9% of the time they are spot on.

This is a strange new feeling but I like it. Keep it going John 👍

Donaldson and Henderson should be a solid centre back pairing. Will bring height and physical presence in both boxes. Both would have suitors in the Championship I'm sure so good early business from McGlynn.

Guest FFC1965

Coll Donaldson is one of those players that I could have imagined joining Falkirk pretty much anytime since the McKinnon era.  Wish Id predicted it now. 

Donaldson was a weird player for us, was very young at the time too. Was always shaky and error prone but somehow QPR saw something in him. I don't think it was 200k back then, I had heard something about 75k which is more plausible.

He's kinda hit a bit of a slope with his career falling down the leagues but still has time to fix that surely. 

36 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Yes, you probably are in a bad mood as your profile says.  I am a 60 year old woman who still supports her home team despite being away from Falkirk for nearly 40 years.  Forgive me if I don't read match reports of other teams or keep an eye open for players we might sign in the future etc.  I did watch every Falkirk game, home an away last season via live stream, every single kick of the ball.  My senses are still working (most of them anyway).  I am passionate about Falkirk.  I don't care about football in general if it hasn't got a Falkirk angle.   Sorry if that makes you think I am ridiculous.  

I’ve got to be honest and say I can relate to this. I’m 56 soon and have watched the Bairns for almost 50 years and I now really don’t pay that much attention to opposition players. Back in the day i could have told you about other teams and players but not now. Even when we are linked with other players or even sign them I need to Google them to find out about their playing history, it’s maybe an age thing.