The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Dowds first season with us was the Covid season and to be fair he wasn't given a proper chance, he looked really unfit. I don't know how he looked in the last preseason however it was clear he wasn't in Sheerins plans of playing a 4231 with a mobile striker up top to press and link with the midfield (We got Michael Ruth instead lol)

Holt and Sheerins (Mostly Holts) handling of the Loan move berating Dowds at the Q&A while he was still our player was one of the most embarrassing moments of last season. Showed how out of touch our full upper management was. 

I really feel for Dowds, I'm glad he showed how good he could've been for us and I hope he goes on to have a good career, the way he was treated here was shocking and fair play to him for coming back and actually putting a shift in the second half of the season for us cause if it was me I'd have telt the club to f**k off.

Unpopular opinion but Ruth was nowhere near as bad as some make out on here. I'd have him back as an option for next season. 

Ruth - 12 games, 4 goal and 1 assist
Kabia - 12 games, 4 goals and 1 assist
Griffiths - 13 games, 2 goals and 2 assists

Kabia was the best of the three I'm not disputing that but Ruth had more of an impact than Griffiths did at a fraction of the price.

Edited by FFC 1876

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Unpopular opinion but Ruth was nowhere near as bad as some make out on here. I'd have him back as an option for next season. 

Ruth - 12 games, 4 goal and 1 assist
Kabia - 12 games, 4 goals and 1 assist
Griffiths - 13 games, 2 goals and 2 assists

Kabia was the best of the three I'm not disputing that but Ruth had more of an impact than Griffiths did at a fraction of the price.

Ruth was ass lad, he'd have maybe done better with a partner up front but no way he should've been leading the line for us. Same as Hetherington for me, should e been a bench player. Not his fault that Sheerin kept starting him even though he clearly wasn't good enough. Being better than that Fatass Griffiths doesn't make him any good.

I have no doubt he'll end up becoming Aberdeen's greatest ever striker after being stinking for us but we move. 

24 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Ruth was ass lad, he'd have maybe done better with a partner up front but no way he should've been leading the line for us. Same as Hetherington for me, should e been a bench player. Not his fault that Sheerin kept starting him even though he clearly wasn't good enough. Being better than that Fatass Griffiths doesn't make him any good.

I have no doubt he'll end up becoming Aberdeen's greatest ever striker after being stinking for us but we move. 

Released already.

30 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

He's just been released by Aberdeen, at 19/20 he should never have been our main striker but I'd have him as an option upfront for us this season. 1 goal in every 3 isn't bad going considering how brutal we were last year. Doesn't mind taking the ball into feet and also runs the channels well. Just needs to work a bit more on the physical side of the game as there were a few chances he shat the bed with. 

Edited by FFC 1876

If we want to be number one in this league then we need far better than bloody Ruth coming off the bench or starting.  We need to make up 28 points on Airdrie and 15 on the likes of Montrose and then there's the pars and queen's to add to the mix.  Players like Ruth will not cut the mustard I'm afraid.

Much more important that we bring in quality for the starting XI. We already have an entire team of “might do as a back up coming of the bench” to try to get out the door before bringing in even more of them.

I felt Ruth became a rod to beat Sheerin with, he wasn't really judged on his own ability which as a 19 year old  with very little experience he showed he had something.  I wouldn't be surprised if he bulks out a bit at his next club and becomes a decent player.   Along with his 4 goals he missed some sitters and needed to improve his finishing but got into decent positions. 

As others have said he was unfairly installed immediately as our 1 up top and became a scapegoat as a result while the far lazier Aidan Keena was everyone's lovechild.  Griffiths was worse than both.  

13 hours ago, The Laddie Gastineau said:

Did you watch any Alloa v Falkirk games when Hetherington was an Alloa player? He was an absolute stand-out. I was so excited when we signed him. Unfortunately, he's been shite with us. 

This will always be the risk and got to hope we're now scouting players far more thoroughly than games against us or a couple of trial games against students.  

McCann also looked good for Airdrie but has been disappointing.  Ballantyne is another whose looked good when up against us but how good is he exactly? Another McCann/Hetherington or capable of stepping up?

This will always be the risk and got to hope we're now scouting players far more thoroughly than games against us or a couple of trial games against students.  
McCann also looked good for Airdrie but has been disappointing.  Ballantyne is another whose looked good when up against us but how good is he exactly? Another McCann/Hetherington or capable of stepping up?
If he was a stand out for Montrose it would be a step down to us surely after last season!

1 minute ago, Bigbri Bairn said:
16 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

If he was a stand out for Montrose it would be a step down to us surely after last season!

the day we see Montrose as a step up from Falkirk is the day I no longer attend, thankfully this will be never.

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Chris Burke gone from killie. Seems like he still wants a playing role. Watched him a fair bit the last couple of seasons and think he’d offer a lot to us on and off the pitch. 

MON JOHN

Still quality at 38 years old

19 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

McGlynn can hopefully get the best out of McCann

Edited by Rennieball
Missclick

5 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Chris Burke gone from killie. Seems like he still wants a playing role. Watched him a fair bit the last couple of seasons and think he’d offer a lot to us on and off the pitch. 

MON JOHN

Came on here to say the same thing definitely has something to offer even at 38.

14 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

With Hetherington we were promised a ball winning centre midfielder who could play a bit, instead we got a player who's constantly caught on the ball and is 5 years too late to every tackle. There's no doubt that he's trying, he's just not anywhere near good enough. Hopefully Alloa fancy him back.

It's not a question of not being good enough, he has already been a very good player in the Championship. Has obviously struggled at Falkirk and there could be many reasons for that but lack of talent isn't one of them. It did take him a while to find his feet at Alloa and it was really under Jack Ross and Jim Goodwin that he began to flourish. I do wonder if installing him as captain when he was just arriving at a new club - a somewhat demanding club - and him just going back full-time after a few years part-time, was a wise move. Clearly didn't get much time to settle either as I recall some Falkirk fans branding him shite pretty early on. 

I'd be very happy to have him back at Alloa but isn't he on a 2 year deal at Falkirk? Wouldn't be overly surprised to see him find form again under McGlynn.