The Falkirk FC Thread

I guess I fall into the “Markie Miller Gibson” camp, with a sprinkling of players from other eras….Kennedy, Gillespie, .Stainrod, Crunchie, Latapy. I would have Johnny Graham in there too.

The one I would give an honourable mention to who no one seems to have mentioned was a brief flickering flame of utter class before Roy Aitken signed him and ruined him………Gary Smith.

8 hours ago, Russ said:

That’s actually the problem with them they’ve for some bizarre reason got Sean Welsh playing in the middle of a back 3 and they’re badly missing him in midfield. He’s their best midfielder by a distance so a really strange decision by Dodds.

Scott Allardice is our best midfielder by a mile, followed by Roddy McGregor.

I can never settle on an all time XI but you have to love the idea of a team with both Stainrod and Latapy. First on the teamsheet obviously Crunchie every day of the week.

How about a "rest of the world" XI:

Mallo
Aafjes, Den Bieman, Tiago
Riera, Latapy, Ristic, Lima
Samuel, El Alagui, Moutinho

And the nightmare equivalent:

Fasan
Oponga, Lescinel, Khalis 
Theobald, Tano, Wallner, De Massis
Finnbogason, Fellner, Xausa

Admittedly that midfield is being judged on not a lot of playing minutes, I did see the entirety of De Massis' Falkirk career though...

I can never settle on an all time XI but you have to love the idea of a team with both Stainrod and Latapy. First on the teamsheet obviously Crunchie every day of the week.
Mallo
Fasan
Oponga, Lescinel, Khalis 
Admittedly that midfield is being judged on not a lot of playing minutes, I did see the entirety of De Massis' Falkirk career though...
Froxylias or Haber are WAY more worthy than Gerhard Fellner. Not sure what he did wrong to get in a nightmare 11. I remember him being quite good for his short spell.

1 hour ago, cbhaf said:

Mallo

Fasan
Oponga, Lescinel, Khalis 

No way does Wallner deserve to be in that team, he was a cracking player and had a great career before and after Falkirk. One of Yogi's player fallouts, me thinks.

16 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Donaldson, Kennedy, Weir, Hughes, McQueen, Gibson, McAllister, Vaulks, Stainrod, Latapy, Johnson.

Anyone of our vintage without Geordie Gibson in the team doesn’t know football. An absolute rolls Royce of a player - certain the best left sided defender I have seen playing for us. Equally effective in midfield too 

28 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

No way does Wallner deserve to be in that team, he was a cracking player and had a great career before and after Falkirk. One of Yogi's player fallouts, me thinks.

Nor fellner who scored 4 goals in his 4 starts and 3 sub apps. He was decent for the first division. Lecsinel was top drawer when he played . Just not very reliable at turning up.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

14 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Anyone of our vintage without Geordie Gibson in the team doesn’t know football. An absolute rolls Royce of a player - certain the best left sided defender I have seen playing for us. Equally effective in midfield too 

I started going in 1978 and he had already moved to Australia by then mate. I’m only picking players I’ve actually seen playing for us so for example I can’t pick Gillespie either as just missed him too.

A worst 11 is always more ‘fun’ to put together and considering the amount of utter shite we’ve had over the last 5 years in particular it’s much harder.

Leo Fasan

Jason Marr
Brad McKay
Tom Dallison
Joe Chalmers

Mark Waddington
Tom Owen Evans
Fraser Aird

Marcus Haber
Leigh Griffiths
Dennon Lewis

Taylor Morgan has to be in any worst XI surely.  

I started going in the mid/late 80s and always wonder if we over exaggerate some of the players from those days (e.g McWilliams) when most of the time we were championship and so many of them are remembered so fondly.    

Truly top drawer players I think I've seen are Weir, McAllister, Stainrod, Vaulks, Latapy, McGovern, Waddle, Gray, Johnston

Guys like Hughes, Parks, Marshall, McQueen, Miller (L), Coyle, May, Stokes not far behind.  

Another good list would be unsung hero's.  Guys like Stevie Fulton, Steve Tosh, Alex Taylor, Kevin James

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I started going in 1978 and he had already moved to Australia by then mate. I’m only picking players I’ve actually seen playing for us so for example I can’t pick Gillespie either as just missed him too.

I was referring to a mate of mine who is my age who had Gibson in the team 

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Taylor Morgan has to be in any worst XI surely.  

I started going in the mid/late 80s and always wonder if we over exaggerate some of the players from those days (e.g McWilliams) when most of the time we were championship and so many of them are remembered so fondly.    

Truly top drawer players I think I've seen are Weir, McAllister, Stainrod, Vaulks, Latapy, McGovern, Waddle, Gray, Johnston

Guys like Hughes, Parks, Marshall, McQueen, Miller (L), Coyle, May, Stokes not far behind.  

Another good list would be unsung hero's.  Guys like Stevie Fulton, Steve Tosh, Alex Taylor, Kevin James

Stokes has to be straight in the best XI surely? More than a goal per game in the premier league.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Great player should have played at a higher level but as usual Falkirk was not a Daily Record side

Markie Miller Gibson was the finest half back line I ever saw for Falkirk they were a multiplier for each other.