The Falkirk FC Thread

Is he going to QP ? Apparently their capacity next season is 1000. Imagine choosing to play in that environment for a few extra pounds [emoji23].

Or maybe the chance to play in a higher league [emoji23]

17 minutes ago, kiddy said:

£9m? Considering the total debt that would have forced them straight into liquidation was about £1.5m, where did the rest go?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12302040.taxman-puts-falkirk-fc-in-hands-of-liquidator/

Think the debt might have been closer to 2m we had to pay the guy Healy, also at a guess still we also then obviously had the north stand to built after the “first stage” was completed. The way we operated at the time with the club being proped with MSG soft loans any time there was a tight year may also have meant there was some additional debt to clear at that end. Not sure how accurate Wikipedia is either, I had it in my head the final cost of the stadium came to 11 million excluding the south stand. I’m sure that was quoted at the time. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Fuck me, £3million from the council.  We get it tight from County fans for getting 900 grand off the council for our ground 25 year ago.  Apparently that's not ok but getting £1.5 million of debt written off every year is fine.

47 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Did they go up? I'm sure @cb_diamond was under the impression you lot were going up?

You find me a single post I've made at any point showing I was under that impression and I will never darken this thread again. Otherwise the beyond  played out "swing and a miss" patter applies for you here.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

f**k me, £3million from the council.  We get it tight from County fans for getting 900 grand off the council for our ground 25 year ago.  Apparently that's not ok but getting £1.5 million of debt written off every year is fine.

Was hardly a gift, the council own and use a large part of the main stand, the club only have the outside pitch facing facilities (the seats!) and the changing rooms. In fact the council actually charge the club to use the catering facilities and function rooms. Pretty decent deal they have ended up with! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

14 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Was hardly a gift, the council own and use a large part of the main stand, the club only have the outside pitch facing facilities (the seats!) and the changing rooms. In fact the council actually charge the club to use the catering facilities and function rooms. Pretty decent deal they have ended up with! 

I’m pretty sure that the deal with Morrisons included land owned by the council. We only got a fraction of the total cash from the sale of Brockville and the surrounding land.

The council did stuff us though. If the Camelon mafia in the Labour group got their way, we would have got no council cash at all to build the Stadium. In hindsight, might actually have been a good thing in the long run.

38 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I didn't imply it was a gift.  I was merely pointing out the ribbing we get for getting a third of that amount.

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Think the debt might have been closer to 2m we had to pay the guy Healy, also at a guess still we also then obviously had the north stand to built after the “first stage” was completed. The way we operated at the time with the club being proped with MSG soft loans any time there was a tight year may also have meant there was some additional debt to clear at that end. Not sure how accurate Wikipedia is either, I had it in my head the final cost of the stadium came to 11 million excluding the south stand. I’m sure that was quoted at the time. 

The Main Stand was a Falkirk Council demand and an ego trip for them.

Far to big for what the club needed and could have had 2 stands half the size give a better atmosphere and spectator experience.

Awful place we don't own but we are stuck with it and the council will screw the club year on year. They know the club have nowhere else to go and there is no way they would give planning permission even of we got a gift of land and a wealthy fan funding the stadium.

The boards long term ambition should be is to buy out the council and own the stadium and surrounding land. Then with a bit of imagination try to improve the place. Filling in the corners. New lower roofs that keep the weather out. Last stand built.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

You find me a single post I've made at any point showing I was under that impression and I will never darken this thread again. Otherwise the beyond  played out "swing and a miss" patter applies for you here.

Does the 'cb' in your name stand for Clydebank ?

59 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Hope I’m totally wrong but I reckon this will be your season. The timing in terms of the strength of the competition means McGlynn probably just needs to do a decent job, not work miracles. 

I won't be as optimistic as you are until we see what kind of squad he builds. The current contracted players don't give him much to work with so really on the park we're in as much of a mess as the rest at the moment. 

I don't think we'll go up this year but if we've got a team who actually look like they can play football a bit, have a bit of dig and effort, a bit of tactical awareness and are managed by a competent manager I'll take that as progress. Playoffs minimum.