The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, bridge of allan bairn said:

Falkirk fans slagging off Yogi and Houston who were not only great players but great managers is incredibly sad, especially when you see what we've been served up on both playing and managing fronts in the last few years.

And on the latapy front, one of the most gifted players I've watched, I remember several guys round me in the stadium frothing at the mouth because he was too slow, lazy and didn't track back!

our fans continue to do it to this day. sometimes I think we deserve what we get

utterly hacks me off legends getting slagged with the same old stuff. 

Theres loads of folk at the games who you just need to tune out. A good place to start is those who start moaning like f**k the second a pass goes sideways or back.

9 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Falkirk fans slagging off Yogi and Houston who were not only great players but great managers is incredibly sad, especially when you see what we've been served up on both playing and managing fronts in the last few years.

And on the latapy front, one of the most gifted players I've watched, I remember several guys round me in the stadium frothing at the mouth because he was too slow, lazy and didn't track back!

our fans continue to do it to this day. sometimes I think we deserve what we get

They both did great jobs and I'm sure Hughes managerially would be seen in a better light by many if he hadn't hawked himself about to other clubs in his last year or so and then spat the dummy out when we quite rightly wouldn't let him go to Hibs for nothing. Houstie was great tactically and excellent at getting more out of other people's signings but surprisingly enough for someone who worked as a scout his own recruitment was dire.  Latapy great player and a joy to watch bit did struggle in the winter months. No surprise his worst season was the dreadful stenny one when the pitch turned into a quagmire with two sides playing on it. Great memories of all 3 .

14 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Don't think anybody is slagging them as such. 

Yogi left us in a bad way despite a few years of success and Houstie over achieved before the players essentially downed tools on him. That doesn't take away from what they achieved as players or as managers when it was deserved. 

26 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Agreed - even as players they must have upwards of 500 appearances between the 3 of them.

Deserve some respect for that alone.

15 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Couple of big crowds next season against Dunfermline. It will be a good boost to the coffers that! 

Their support is fickle, you only need look at the empty spaces yesterday in a huge game for them. 

My issue with Hughes as a manager with us at the end was all down to how he handled his want for a bigger job.

Great player and had some amazing times as a manager, however he tinged it badly at the end.

I have no issue with any manager wanting to improve and move on, his way was crass imo from the way he and his agent acted.

There was nothing professional in the way it was paraded through the media from them and his inflated ego against our club.

Now with, I think, three clubs relegated, I’m glad & I doubt that we will have to stomach his stubbornness again.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

You'll be sick of the sight of QotS next year, what with the 8 league games against them...

No no. They’re so good, I named them twice. Totally deliberate.

Whilst it’s all fun and games Dunfermline coming down, it’s going to make this league extremely difficult, and to even make the plays off will be a tough ask without investment. It’s been stated we must get out this league next year, and I don’t see that happening I’m afraid. Don’t want to be Mr doom and gloom, I just don’t see where the money is coming from to get the players we need.

5 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Whilst it’s all fun and games Dunfermline coming down, it’s going to make this league extremely difficult, and to even make the plays off will be a tough ask without investment. It’s been stated we must get out this league next year, and I don’t see that happening I’m afraid. Don’t want to be Mr doom and gloom, I just don’t see where the money is coming from to get the players we need.

The money is coming from us the supporters buying season tickets. If we don't back the new board and management team then we won't get anywhere it's as simple as that. Mcglynn has already shown he can make the very most of his budget whilst at Raith so we need to give him every chance next season.

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The money is coming from us the supporters buying season tickets. If we don't back the new board and management team then we won't get anywhere it's as simple as that. Mcglynn has already shown he can make the very most of his budget whilst at Raith so we need to give him every chance next season.

And he’ll have my season ticket money. Myself and my group said we only wouldn’t renew if Miller or Rennie was in charge so we’re true to our word. I really hope all other ST holders do the same, if they can afford to.

21 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

This.

Dunfermline coming down has really affected the dynamics of the league for next season.

Our best signing this season won't be McGlynn (who I don't want for his involvement in the Goodwillie signing), a new #10 or a new striker, it will be whoever the board are able to convince to put some substantial money into the club's coffers. Whether that is an additional consortium of some sorts or some mega wealthy sugar daddy, who knows. I am now much more pessimistic of our chances of going up next season.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

3 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

This.

Dunfermline coming down has really affected the dynamics of the league for next season.

Our best signing this season won't be McGlynn (who I don't want for his involvement in the Goodwillie signing), a new central midfielder, a new #10 or a new striker, it will be whoever the board are able to convince to put some substantial money into the club's coffers. Whether that is an additional consortium of some sorts or some mega wealthy sugar daddy, who knows. I am now much more pessimistic of our chances of going up next season.

Spot on, the supporters need to back the club in serious numbers if we are to get near the likes of Scumfermlines budget. 

A couple of real decent early signings ex” GK CBs CFs will be a huge positive by the BD, and would be backed by early STs. 

In parallel the BD also need to demonstrate that their using their own expertise, contacts, and experience in attracting new investment & Sponsors.  Can we find another Rawlings type investment? Can we get our main sponsors (Central) back? [add, getting rid off at least four/five under contract]

No doubt very difficult times ahead but not insurmountable.

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

They both did great jobs and I'm sure Hughes managerially would be seen in a better light by many if he hadn't hawked himself about to other clubs in his last year or so and then spat the dummy out when we quite rightly wouldn't let him go to Hibs for nothing. Houstie was great tactically and excellent at getting more out of other people's signings but surprisingly enough for someone who worked as a scout his own recruitment was dire.  Latapy great player and a joy to watch bit did struggle in the winter months. No surprise his worst season was the dreadful stenny one when the pitch turned into a quagmire with two sides playing on it. Great memories of all 3 .

Yes it was sad how it ended for them and other great players that pulled on the Falkirk jersey when they went on to manage the club like George Miller and John Prentice. Remembered more for that than what they did on the pitch.

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Every season under Hughes our record between the turn of the year and the split was absolutely awful mainly due to latapy struggling in the cold weather and heavy pitches. 

Housties recruitment year on year was poor in the main unfortunately. The team regressed continually  due to this and was going to struggle eventually. When you are replacing the likes of vaulks with an absolute diddy in John Rankin and the likes of Alston with Alex Harris then you are going to have major problems. Yes you can't replace with the same quality but you need to do a lot better than that. Him announcing his retirement and Rory Loy turning into Jaime Wilson created the perfect storm unfortunately.

I think you're being really unfair on Houston there tbh. For a start, Rankin was not a replacement for Vaulks and Harris was not a replacement for Alston. He also brought in players that were key in our 2nd place pushed in both 15/16 and 16/17, John Baird, Mark Kerr, Lee Miller, Myles Hippolyte etc. 

1 hour ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I fear Cove more than Dunfermline and Airdrie more than QOS to be honest.

QOS and Dunfemrline will most likely have total rebuilds (similar to us) and Kelty will need investment to compete as their current squad isn't anything other than a solid League 1 team.

If Airdire stay down that is still who I'd fear the most if they keep their squad together.

53 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

This.

Our best signing this season won't be McGlynn (who I don't want for his involvement in the Goodwillie signing), a new #10 or a new striker, it will be whoever the board are able to convince to put some substantial money into the club's coffers. Whether that is an additional consortium of some sorts or some mega wealthy sugar daddy, who knows. I am now much more pessimistic of our chances of going up next season.

Before castigating mcglynn for the goodwillie signing you'd be better off trying to find out what actually happened. 

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Before castigating mcglynn for the goodwillie signing you'd be better off trying to find out what actually happened. 

Happy to be enlightened Shadwell, what do you know?