The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Rubbish. We were never a one man team even with Latapy….

I don’t think it is rubbish TBH. If you look back when Latapy left gradually got worse. He signed Dads army and the rest is history. Also Hughes was very successful at ICT until Russell left. 

I don’t think it is rubbish TBH. If you look back when Latapy left gradually got worse. He signed Dads army and the rest is history. Also Hughes was very successful at ICT until Russell left. 

You can’t ignore the quality of players he brought to the club. That wasn’t solely down to Latapy.

The team ran out of steam after a number of successful seasons. Much in the same way it did under Houston…

16 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

You can’t ignore the quality of players he brought to the club. That wasn’t solely down to Latapy.

The team ran out of steam after a number of successful seasons. Much in the same way it did under Houston…

I never said the recruitment was down to Latapy but his influence around the place both as player and coach should not be underestimated. The same happened at ICT when he left. Latapy has not been at any other club than us and ICT when Hughes was manager. No coincidence IMO he has failed everywhere but us and ICT. 

I never said the recruitment was down to Latapy but his influence around the place both as player and coach should not be underestimated. The same happened at ICT when he left. Latapy has not been at any other club than us and ICT when Hughes was manager. No coincidence IMO he has failed everywhere but us and ICT. 

I don’t think I’ve claimed that Latapy didn’t have influence.
The question is whether Hughes was a good manager for Falkirk. I maintain he was for the majority of his tenure…..

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

The question is whether Hughes was a good manager for Falkirk. I maintain he was for the majority of his tenure…..

I am not saying he wasn’t but without Latapy around he has always failed. It is no coincidence IMO. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

45 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Houston's team didn't run out of steam. He never had sufficient backing by the board to replace key players who had left.

Guest Brockvillenomore
1 hour ago, grumpyoldman said:

If it wasn’t for Latapy he would have never had a successful period with us as a manager

I agree. He was the leader and tactician on the park. 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

He also inherited the majority of that ICT team from butcher.

31 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

He also inherited the majority of that ICT team from butcher.

Only 2 players that won the cup and finished 3rd were signed by Hughes. Greg Tansey (who was actually signed by Butcher before but left and came back) and Eddie Ofere.

Edit - Tarmo Kink too but he played about 2 games for us.

Edited by TheScarf

Houston's team didn't run out of steam. He never had sufficient backing by the board to replace key players who had left.

The collapse in a matter of a couple of months from the previous season can hardly just be put down to not bringing in new players although it certainly didn’t help…

And for for the majority of the period of Hughes’s success Latapy was there.
Hughes’s was fucking lucky

Any revisionism on Yogi is ridiculous tbh. I’m 23 years old, I’ve not seen anything better than what Hughes offered. It was exciting and progressive at the time. He might not be pulling trees up for other clubs but for us he was brilliant. 

41 minutes ago, Maverick_- said:

Any revisionism on Yogi is ridiculous tbh. I’m 23 years old, I’ve not seen anything better than what Hughes offered. It was exciting and progressive at the time. He might not be pulling trees up for other clubs but for us he was brilliant. 

No one, certainly not me anyway, is saying anything other than he did a great job. My argument is that when Latapy went the club went backwards. That pattern was the same at ICT and he has struggled everywhere else without him. It of course may just be coincidence 

Every season under Hughes our record between the turn of the year and the split was absolutely awful mainly due to latapy struggling in the cold weather and heavy pitches. 

Housties recruitment year on year was poor in the main unfortunately. The team regressed continually  due to this and was going to struggle eventually. When you are replacing the likes of vaulks with an absolute diddy in John Rankin and the likes of Alston with Alex Harris then you are going to have major problems. Yes you can't replace with the same quality but you need to do a lot better than that. Him announcing his retirement and Rory Loy turning into Jaime Wilson created the perfect storm unfortunately.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

14 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Should be the most competitive league in the country next season. I would imagine the Fifers will be favourites, and we (like our league standing)will be fifth or sixth favourite behind Montrose, QotS one of Airdrie and QotS, and maybe even Kelty too.

Very happy for us to be rank outsiders.

You'll be sick of the sight of QotS next year, what with the 8 league games against them...

Edited by cb_diamond

Falkirk fans slagging off Yogi and Houston who were not only great players but great managers is incredibly sad, especially when you see what we've been served up on both playing and managing fronts in the last few years.

And on the latapy front, one of the most gifted players I've watched, I remember several guys round me in the stadium frothing at the mouth because he was too slow, lazy and didn't track back!

our fans continue to do it to this day. sometimes I think we deserve what we get

utterly hacks me off legends getting slagged with the same old stuff.