The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

I like the look of Owen Moxon in the middle of the park for Annan, given he was in contention for the league 2 player of the year I doubt I'm the only one.

Hamilton bound apparently.

7 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Have I missed something in my Tenerife All inclusive drunken haze or was there not a mention of someone having rumours earlier, if so get it telt.

Hope street tanker's kyboshed it. The whole things knackered.

Guest Ecosse83
41 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Have I missed something in my Tenerife All inclusive drunken haze or was there not a mention of someone having rumours earlier, if so get it telt.

Hope it’s not paradise park your at mate, not sure it could handle 2 pished Falkirk fans 😂

On 04/05/2022 at 17:02, ShaggerG said:

Thing is, what's he going to do with his life now?

Buy a half-dozen buy-to-lets and have another six kids? He was at fucking Celtic for six years, it's not as if he's eyeing up an HND in pipe-fitting to keep paying the bills. The best thing Griffiths ever did was encourage dundeebarry to write a book.

On 05/05/2022 at 13:38, grumpyoldman said:

Maybe the board have played an absolute blinder here and that McGlynn was the man they wanted right from the off. Give Rennie a six months deal knowing full well that McGlynn was available now

McGlynn would obviously not have gone to a Falkirk that had signed good players and gotten promoted. He expressly indicated to the board (through leaks obviously) that he would only come if given the opportunity to make Hetherington MOTM in a League One game against Kelty Hearts.

7 hours ago, Barga Bairn said:

I think it's also worth remembering that arguably our best players were academy graduates for a number of years, whether they were sold or not. Alston, Sibbald, Kingsley, McGrandles, Wallace, Fulton were all standouts for us, and players like Duffy and Murdoch were better than their replacements. Our last big sale, Gallagher, showed plenty of skill and potential. Liverpool are no mugs

Despite many problems the team was worth following for the young guys alone...they were our guys, not some players who had already failed elsewhere, or even worse, were other clubs players getting some experience.

In skill and pace many of our youngsters were miles ahead of the garbage which came after them. Can we get our coach's back?

It takes years to form a decent academy, we did it and it was thrown away, with many of the fans in agreement that we should get rid of it and concentrate all our resources on procurement.

Look where that got us. Get an academy or youth set up started again, like a proper bloody fitba club, and I'll come back.

I was so proud to watch that team full of our academy players swashbuckling to Scottish Cup semis and a final. Fast forward and I'm ashamed of our recent rag tag bunch of jobbers stinking the place out and serving up some of the worst football in our history with one of our lowest league position ever..

Wonder what happened? 

11 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Agree with the sentiment however depending on overheads an academy does bring pressure to make that big sale each year to pay for itself, it’s something we need to bare in mind as our new youth programme grows and develops. In the years where the academy does not produce the club need to make sure its overheads are at a level the club can sustain without the need for player sales, being reliant on the sale of players for big fees will always potentially give somebody the convenient excuse they need to pull the rug as happened previously.

The academy at it's height was sustaining the whole club, not just itself. Transfer fees, add ons - the money was rolling in, we've obviously lost all that now and there is zero return on any of the players we've recruited in recent years , some of them would/will have to be paid to go. 

Agree that the divestment from our own academy and joining the FV one was probably the death knell but it required to be scaled down in the slightly barren years (not shut down) and the BOD at the time must have thought this was the best option.

It's a long , long road back.    

3 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

The academy at it's height was sustaining the whole club, not just itself. Transfer fees, add ons - the money was rolling in, we've obviously lost all that now and there is zero return on any of the players we've recruited in recent years , some of them would/will have to be paid to go. 

Agree that the divestment from our own academy and joining the FV one was probably the death knell but it required to be scaled down in the slightly barren years (not shut down) and the BOD at the time must have thought this was the best option.

It's a long , long road back.    

It wasn’t the death knell. If you speak to anyone involved it did take a jolt when FV was formed and they lost some good players. However it was rebuilding and the 13/14 year old group for example was exceptional. Sadly that is just about the group we could have been relying on now. People also forget is you get kids into the team and they are on much less money that a brought in jobber. 
That decision stop funding it, not just in hindsight, was a ruinous one, a disgrace.