The Falkirk FC Thread

13 hours ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

Just want to say that the Raith fans here recently have been very decent in their behaviour. You've said goodbye to a manager who did a good job for you and who is now across the Forth at what was once a rival, have been sporting about it all, made good posts about what to expect from our new manager, while refraining from repetitive jibes or jokes as stale as a three week old pan loaf.

For that, thank you :)

Still enjoy reminiscing about the 7-1  thrashing we dished out at Frank Connor's going away party in 1990 , just wanted to say ;)

All the best - hope our seasons turn out to be brilliant

Ah that 7-1 game, the third game I attended. Then 5-1 v Clydebank the week after.

Happy times.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

1 hour ago, Just a bairn said:

Scott Arfield and Stephen Kingsley both reaching major finals, and Murray Wallace winning POTY at Millwall. These guys might well have gone on to do well regardless of their time at Falkirk, but there should be no doubt that the closure of the academy was an absolute tragedy on a scale that couldn’t be fully appreciated at the time. It will take years, but I really hope the club can develop a youth system that can be even a fraction of the last. 

Worth noting however that they came through a decade ago. The 3/4 years before closure the best we got was Kevin O'Hara, Scott Shepherd and Camreon Blues!

The death of the academy was when it become the Forth Valley academy. 

Edited by latapythelegend

24 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Worth noting however that they came through a decade ago. The 3/4 years before closure the best we got was Kevin O'Hara, Scott Shepherd and Camreon Blues!

You say that yet a number of players from that academy are now plying their trade every week at clubs higher up the leagues than us.  Blues seems to be doing a decent job by all accounts at Morton too. I'd rather we'd had him in recent seasons than some of the dross we've had . The problem for me was that we started selling on players younger and younger which is always going to leave you with a whole in the production line at some point.

Guest Caractacus Potts

Think McGlynn is a smart signing by the board. If it doesn’t work out then we can’t say it was a risky move as he’s the exact type of manager we need right now. Going to be a hard season but look forward to seeing what signings he brings in and hopefully seeing a bit of consistency with results. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

Not one player of the required quality coming through trashed the business plan that a sale near every season finances the whole operation.

Does anybody know if any of the academy player we released made it elsewhere ? 

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Maxwell has been doing ok for Ayr/QOS hasn't he?

Kieran Offord at St.Mirren scored a heap of goals at the Shire on loan 

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You say that yet a number of players from that academy are now plying their trade every week at clubs higher up the leagues than us.  Blues seems to be doing a decent job by all accounts at Morton too. I'd rather we'd had him in recent seasons than some of the dross we've had . The problem for me was that we started selling on players younger and younger which is always going to leave you with a whole in the production line at some point.

Can't dispute that because out decline has been massive. Very few of them appear to be sellable assets though. They probably do a job but none of them are going to pull in 6 figure sums which is what kept the academy sustainable.

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Can't dispute that because out decline has been massive. Very few of them appear to be sellable assets though. They probably do a job but none of them are going to pull in 6 figure sums which is what kept the academy sustainable.

Just having an academy is the big difference to me, at least there is potential to sell, or bring in to the first team. You are always going to have good years and bad. was always the chance of a fluke, like the Connor McGrandles money

34 minutes ago, CrunchiesRightBoot said:

Just having an academy is the big difference to me, at least there is potential to sell, or bring in to the first team. You are always going to have good years and bad. was always the chance of a fluke, like the Connor McGrandles money

Aye, if you have an academy of any repute, it itself will be getting scouted. Tony Gallagher showed us that reputation at that level can be enough to bring in the wedge. His foray into out first team was short and very poor but still the money came because of that he has achieved prior .

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, if you have an academy of any repute, it itself will be getting scouted. Tony Gallagher showed us that reputation at that level can be enough to bring in the wedge. His foray into out first team was short and very poor but still the money came because of that he has achieved prior .

100%. I actually forgot about him, his time with us was so fleeting. It shows we had a rep for producing talent and even Liverpool (who are arguably the best in the world at bringing in players right now) bought into it. It sickened me at the time we binned it, and to this day it still does. 

1 hour ago, CrunchiesRightBoot said:

Agree with the sentiment however depending on overheads an academy does bring pressure to make that big sale each year to pay for itself, it’s something we need to bare in mind as our new youth programme grows and develops. In the years where the academy does not produce the club need to make sure its overheads are at a level the club can sustain without the need for player sales, being reliant on the sale of players for big fees will always potentially give somebody the convenient excuse they need to pull the rug as happened previously.

4 minutes ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

So, err, how about those signings then....when are they happening?

Just asking ;)

Considering players contracts run till the end of the month, I don’t expect to hear anything till then