The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Ouzy See next season anyone? Very much in the Nathan Austin mould, raw but would cause bother at this level imo. 

Mcglynn tried to sign Austin for us at one stage. He also tried to sign dowds. 

15 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Ouzy See next season anyone? Very much in the Nathan Austin mould, raw but would cause bother at this level imo. 

Any other similarities between the two?

4 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Any other similarities between the two?

Fairly similar height, as I said raw when we acquired, pace on them with the ability to finish. Both would come from a team who is below the level we’d be asking them to play at. 

You reckon Fash was better? 

Fairly similar height, as I said raw when we acquired, pace on them with the ability to finish. Both would come from a team who is below the level we’d be asking them to play at. 

He’s one year younger than Fash so if someone’s till “raw” at 27 I don’t think his ceiling is much higher than where he is.

23 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Have a feeling we will go with the two keeprs already signed.  If money is to be tight, then a squad of 20 seems a reasonable assumption.  Unless anybody else leaves, that would only leave 6 signiings to be made plus any cheap loan signings. Perhaps, as has been suggested, a player-coach Goalkeeper to replace Bobby Geddes.

Cove won the league with a squad of 19 players so it can be done.  When Leicester won the Premiership, they did so by maintaining a consistent squad by spnding money on the backroom support staff who kept the players fit and healthy.

One thing is for sure.  Whoever we start next season with, they have to be bigger, fitter and faster than this season.

GK will definitely be on the list. Holt will be away imho. 

1 minute ago, gav-ffc said:

He’s one year younger than Fash so if someone’s till “raw” at 27 I don’t think his ceiling is much higher than where he is.

Fair point, seems to have done very little before his time at Edinburgh. Been scoring quite a few this season though. 

4 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Fash has got a far better goal scoring record than him throughout his whole career.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Fash has got a far better goal scoring record than him throughout his whole career.

I meant at the time we acquired than now, obviously very little competition there. Didn’t realise See was 27 Tbf. 

Good riddance to all those gone. It's an utter disgrace we are still left with those under contract after that season. Thanks Holt. You can only hope McGlynn manages to punt the likes of Holt, Sneddon, Wilson, Ross, out on loan for a start and can maybe at least try get some of the other imposters to f**k off. 

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Baptie and Shirra either side of him would have made all the difference

You're possibly correct albeit that both are getting on a bit. Shirra in particular must be in his 70s by now!

I meant at the time we acquired than now, obviously very little competition there. Didn’t realise See was 27 Tbf. 

John Robertson's got one more goal than him this season and five assists to his name. Would have been a better option than Wilson this season that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

John Robertson's got one more goal than him this season and five assists to his name. Would have been a better option than Wilson this season that's for sure.

Thought that too. Was a straight shootout pre season over which one we were gonna sign wasn’t it? 🤮

5 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

It’s obviously going to take quite a bit of cash to persuade some of those players to leave and cancel their contracts.

Seems a pity to have to use our next seasons playing budget for that.

I think it would be a great idea to try to seek funds specifically for that purpose.

When asking folks to pay for ST’s why not have a separate section on the form for ‘Contracted players’ severance’

Im sure quite a few folks would stump up some extra cash for such a purpose.

I appreciate it’s not for everyone but quite a few may well be happy to contribute.

If so, count me in.

And therin lies the crux.

Whilst I appreciate wholesale changes are required (again) , it seems that since the BOD closed the academy it's been a massive clear out/reboot pretty much every  window, certainly every summer.

Remember we couldn't afford the academy, wonder how much all those pay offs and signing on fees have cost while at the same time losing any transfer fees and add ons for young players sold. And of course dropping like a stone in the leagues and waving goodbye to cup finals and semi-finals and the money lost with that.

A much wiser man than me could do the sums but I'd wager there would not be much in it.

Well done Campbell & Lang - How To F*ck A Football Club 101.

3 assists in 35 league games for Tumilty this season. 
2 assists in 22 league games for Williamson.
Only caveat being the info came from Transfermarkt.
The fact Raith couldn't find a goalscorer for shite is the reason. Not one of the strikers was inventive or has the brains to get into positions to get on the end of his crosses.

6 hours ago, grumswall said:

You'll get Robbie Thomson as player/ gk coach. Which isn't actually too bad for that level. Just don't ask for him to communicate with the defence or leave his line. 

What happened with mutch? Thought he looked a decent prospect when we were down there with you. 

Thomson is still contracted to us for next year 

On 02/05/2022 at 14:59, Shadwell Dog said:

Hamilton make money off their ground but livi who knows.

Ours is a bit of a weird one, we don't own the stadium obviously as that's owned by the council and we have it on something like a 73 year long lease. Interestingly though, we don't own the pitch either - that's owned by the West Lothian Youth Foundation who hire it out midweek. To be fair though, we pay the lowest wages in the Premiership and have done since we came back up - I think Stephane Omeonga is on something like £400 per week having previously been on £10k+ at Pescara. 

I don't imagine Sean Kelly is on much either despite turning into a genuinely incredibly CDM out of nowhere. I honestly haven't a clue how he's done it either but he is so composed on the ball in the middle of the park it's baffling considering the idiot we got when we played him at CB. 

I think our average annual wage is about 40k which is about £770 per week. There's a few upper earners that are probably on maximum £1,400 but we probably don't pay any higher than that. 

6 hours ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Have a feeling we will go with the two keeprs already signed.  If money is to be tight, then a squad of 20 seems a reasonable assumption.  Unless anybody else leaves, that would only leave 6 signiings to be made plus any cheap loan signings. Perhaps, as has been suggested, a player-coach Goalkeeper to replace Bobby Geddes.

Cove won the league with a squad of 19 players so it can be done.  When Leicester won the Premiership, they did so by maintaining a consistent squad by spnding money on the backroom support staff who kept the players fit and healthy.

One thing is for sure.  Whoever we start next season with, they have to be bigger, fitter and faster than this season.

Small squad can be done as long as you don't suffer a lot of injuries and with our pitch that could potentially happen. Leicester were fortunate to avoid this & would have had a very decent U23 squad to them assist also.