The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

I don't think many believe it's his managerial  ability that should be questioned - rather his morals

Goodwillie was about 10 fucking minutes from signing for Falkirk before he signed for us ffs. 

10 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

I don't think many believe it's his managerial  ability that should be questioned - rather his morals

The Goodwillie incident for me is such that McGlynn should probably be moving on from Raith. Does it mean that he should be cancelled and never able to work in management again? Not for me. I can't support this cancel culture that's going on.

As a minimum though, I'd be asking for his truthful side of the story in the interview and asking him to explain what he's learned from it and what he'd do differently if he had his time again.

34 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

You'd probably struggle to find many managers that won't sign a player like dgw if allowed by their bod. Christ how many managers have signed Lithgow now or Declan Gallagher. Down south guys like Lee Hughes who killed someone and was jailed for 6 years for dangerous driving  had managers queuing up to sign him when he got out of jail . Ched Evans was courted by numerous teams before his conviction was quashed.  Managers jobs is to put the best 11 players they can on the park .

Edited by Shadwell Dog

12 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's incredible that Falkirk have a team full of jobbers, and have lurched into a sixth place finish in league one but some of your fans still think you're better than McGlynn. 

With all respect, he was the man who signed Goodwillie. It was McGlynn that wanted him, it was McGlynn who pushed the Board to finance it.

I think that makes an awful lot of people and clubs “better than McGlynn”. Middle of the pack manager he may well be, but he has also proved himself to be a bit of a  tosser on more than one occasion.

I hate to be bringing it up AGAIN, but his rumoured consideration deems it necessary.

Is it genuinely outwith the realms of reasonableness that in 2022, we could expect a manager who knows that signing a rapist is wrong? The world has progressed a great deal, thankfully, and I really don’t think it’s asking for much. The overwhelming majority on here were, quite rightly, ready to give it properly tight to the board and Rennie if he signed for us. We all spoke at length about the bullet we dodged by not signing him. Funny how that seems to be being abandoned and forgotten here. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

McGlynn as manager combined with the current board just means the stench of the player I'd rather not mention is going to be hanging about the club a while longer.

I'll pass thanks.

8 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I hate to be bringing it up AGAIN, but his rumoured consideration deems it necessary.

Is it genuinely outwith the realms of reasonableness that in 2022, we could expect a manager who knows that signing a rapist is wrong? The world has progressed a great deal, thankfully, and I really don’t think it’s asking for much. The overwhelming majority on here were, quite rightly, ready to give it properly tight to the board and Rennie if he signed for us. We all spoke at length about the bullet we dodged by not signing him. Funny how that seems to be being abandoned and forgotten here. 

The only difference though between mcglynn and  Rennie, m and m and probably a good number of other managers is that the Raith bod said yes fill your boots. We are going to be restricted to a small amount of managers if one of the criteria is would never sign a player like goodwillie.

9 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

It's forgotten about because we've moved on FFS.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The only difference though between mcglynn and  Rennie, m and m and probably a good number of other managers is that the Raith bod said yes fill your boots. We are going to be restricted to a small amount of managers if one of the criteria is would never sign a player like goodwillie.

Works for me.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So did ours 🤔

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If the bod leaked like a seive we'd know who the manager was now. Instead we have numerous rumours and he said she said on about 3 or 4 different names definitely getting the job.

So their bullshitters then with their 'Was told' 'Got it on good authority' 'I know'

Fine hopefully the appointment will expose the attention seekers for what they are.

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

So their bullshitters then with their 'Was told' 'Got it on good authority' 'I know'

Fine hopefully the appointment will expose the attention seekers for what they are.

That's what message boards are all about though mate. People bring rumours to the table you believe them at your own peril. It's not always attention seekers people may think they have a scoop but it turns out to be bollocks.  Nothing to get too worried about.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not at the price clyde were asking. Thankfully.

So the asking price was the stumbling block and not the rape? And yet we are on here questioning others morals? f**k me.

If McGlynn is appointed he’ll certainly have my backing. A much better manager than any of our last 4 or 5 appointments. 

28 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Back on ignore you go.

52 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

So the asking price was the stumbling block and not the rape? And yet we are on here questioning others morals? f**k me.

If McGlynn is appointed he’ll certainly have my backing. A much better manager than any of our last 4 or 5 appointments. 

I will back him (and doing that by nothing more than buying a ST, and not criticising him until he fails which I suspect, is what most will do).

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Doubt Raith will offer him anything or they would have by now. He'll be elsewhere next season whether it's us or not who knows. Not sure about the unlikeable guy as I don't know him from Adam but he seems to get his team's playing for him and that's the main thing.

As mentioned already, it’s reported we are near a deal…and you lot have mentioned a possible competing offer, so we’ll see. The majority of Raith fans would welcome him back, and most of the rest would tolerate it. The whole “situation” was a complete mess, but I think that JMcG’s part is over-rated somewhat, mainly because the BoD hung him out to dry after his statement by saying nothing (and they still haven’t). Yes, he pushed to sign DG, as a football manager looking at a football player. I honestly think he’s so myopically focused on football that he simply assumed that since DG had been playing for Clyde for a while the whole matter had “blown over”. A lot of the older fans seem to view the DG situation as overblown, possibly as a result of growing up in the boys will be boys era.

That being said, I’d prefer we didn’t re-sign JMcG (of course, that is asking a BoD that I don’t trust to sort socks to hire a competent replacement, oy). I think he’s learned and developed from the fiasco, but I also think he’s nearly reached his ceiling. The literal collapse in the second half of the season was more than the loss of a player or two, but also an inability to adapt effectively to significant changes the rest of the league had made. At the League One level, that weakness is less significant, as there is much less budget and ability to make changes.

For Falkirk, JMcG would likely be a good manager, IF given at least two seasons to rebuild the team and culture. He would certainly help you develop some young talent, and probably make the football more attractive, but is the patience there? His biggest other weakness is a over commitment to players that perhaps causes him to play them too much verses their productiveness.  Or really sure where the unlikeable tag comes from, but he doesn’t suffer fools gladly.

If anyone get get you out of league one then its McGlynn, given a couple of seasons, but unless our board have had the foresight (which I very much doubt) to have a higher quality replacement lined up, I can't see him leaving though unkess he himself wants a fresh start