The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

As mentioned already, it’s reported we are near a deal…and you lot have mentioned a possible competing offer, so we’ll see. The majority of Raith fans would welcome him back, and most of the rest would tolerate it. The whole “situation” was a complete mess, but I think that JMcG’s part is over-rated somewhat, mainly because the BoD hung him out to dry after his statement by saying nothing (and they still haven’t). Yes, he pushed to sign DG, as a football manager looking at a football player. I honestly think he’s so myopically focused on football that he simply assumed that since DG had been playing for Clyde for a while the whole matter had “blown over”. A lot of the older fans seem to view the DG situation as overblown, possibly as a result of growing up in the boys will be boys era.

That being said, I’d prefer we didn’t re-sign JMcG (of course, that is asking a BoD that I don’t trust to sort socks to hire a competent replacement, oy). I think he’s learned and developed from the fiasco, but I also think he’s nearly reached his ceiling. The literal collapse in the second half of the season was more than the loss of a player or two, but also an inability to adapt effectively to significant changes the rest of the league had made. At the League One level, that weakness is less significant, as there is much less budget and ability to make changes.

For Falkirk, JMcG would likely be a good manager, IF given at least two seasons to rebuild the team and culture. He would certainly help you develop some young talent, and probably make the football more attractive, but is the patience there? His biggest other weakness is a over commitment to players that perhaps causes him to play them too much verses their productiveness.  Or really sure where the unlikeable tag comes from, but he doesn’t suffer fools gladly.

Surely his ceiling at the moment is raiths ceiling though. When you look at attendances and finance 5th place is probably about right for Raith  having over achieved last season.  Arbroath have skewed the positions a bit with their remarkable run but that won't happen every season.  Noone really expected a club with dunfermlines finances to do so badly either. I'd have thought Raith are about where they should be currently in the grand scheme of things.

When it comes to patience then that depends on whether there are signs of improvement or not. Next season a playoff spot would be an acceptable level given the budget etc. Certainly he wouldn't last another season like this one but then nor would any other manager.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Surely his ceiling at the moment is raiths ceiling though. When you look at attendances and finance 5th place is probably about right for Raith  having over achieved last season.  Arbroath have skewed the positions a bit with their remarkable run but that won't happen every season.  Noone really expected a club with dunfermlines finances to do so badly either. I'd have thought Raith are about where they should be currently in the grand scheme of things.

Yea, I see JMcG as a mid-Championship manager. He can potentially lead a team to the Premiership, however I suspect it would be a short stay with JMcG in charge, due to his limitations. He might also have a team relegated on a very rare occasion, but he certainly seems to engender motivation and performance from a lot of players, and to have the tactical ability to tread water in the Championship. His strongest point may well be his development of young players, something that Falkirk could really use. I’d love to see him move onto running the youth scheme of a larger club.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Yea, I see JMcG as a mid-Championship manager. He can potentially lead a team to the Premiership, however I suspect it would be a short stay with JMcG in charge, due to his limitations. He might also have a team relegated on a very rare occasion, but he certainly seems to engender motivation and performance from a lot of players, and to have the tactical ability to tread water in the Championship. His strongest point may well be his development of young players, something that Falkirk could really use. I’d love to see him move onto running the youth scheme of a larger club.

He had you 3rd last season and has had you second before. Not sure Raith fans could really expect much more from a manager given the resources available. Bit of a gamble to go for someone else who may not be able to get as much out those resources as mcglynn has surely?

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He had you 3rd last season and has had you second before. Not sure Raith fans could really expect much more from a manager given the resources available. Bit of a gamble to go for someone else who may not be able to get as much out those resources as mcglynn has surely?

Falkirk fans certainly know what a gamble changing managers is, so yes. I’m in favor of a change because I think JMcG has topped out, plus I’m disappointed in his support of the sainting of DG (but believe he’s sincere in having solely focused on football, and has learned from that). That being said, it’s a crap shoot…it we keep him, I’ll not be rioting, but simply hoping the rest of the guilty Board or CEO get emptied.

All that being said, I do wonder if Paul Smith is still tied to JMcG…he wouldn’t be a bad shout either (although, he has his own baggage with his partner being the Raith CEO).

Edited by TxRover

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Falkirk fans certainly know what a gamble changing managers is, so yes. I’m in favor of a change because I think JMcG has topped out, plus I’m disappointed in his support of the sainting of DG (but believe he’s sincere in having solely focused on football, and has learned from that). That being said, it’s a crap shoot…it we keep him, I’ll not be rioting, but simply hoping the rest of the guilty Board or CEO get emptied.

All that being said, I do wonder if Paul Smith is still tied to JMcG…he wouldn’t be a bad shout either (although, he has his own baggage with his partner being the Raith CEO).

I'm just interested to know where do you expect Raith to finish though. As I said they are where given their resources they should be give or take a place up or down. Seems harsh to think anyone could do any better. Than 3rd place in the championship.

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

If anyone get get you out of league one then its McGlynn, given a couple of seasons, but unless our board have had the foresight (which I very much doubt) to have a higher quality replacement lined up, I can't see him leaving though unkess he himself wants a fresh start

The only time he won the league rather than it being awarded in a curtailed season, it took him three years to do it.

To be fair, he did take RR to their first season finishing above FFC in a long while. 

His RR record is in the third tier 3rd 3rd 1st. In the 2nd tier is 7th, 2nd, 7th. Then he had his 10th with Hearts in the top flight, then 6th in the second flight with the Launderers.

After that, he did scouting for Celtic before going back to RR in 2018. From there, he finished 3rd in the third tier, then the awarded COVID season.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

1 hour ago, unused sub said:

I'm giving up going/watching football I'm a fecking loser, Falkirk and Leeds United need I say more. To f**k with football. 

Feel for you. The Leeds bandwagon seems to have run out of steam, and the new manager has to see success as not being relegated. I think our semi-American manager was secretly aiming for the same kind of success.

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That's what message boards are all about though mate. People bring rumours to the table you believe them at your own peril. It's not always attention seekers people may think they have a scoop but it turns out to be bollocks.  Nothing to get too worried about.

It reflects badly on the integrity and professionalism of the board and that is the point I was making.

If it turns out board members are breading confidentiality of what goes on in the board room then not only does it erode their credibility but also will have a detrimental effect on the trust the fan base have in them. And if there is one thing the board need to do its build trust.

6 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It reflects badly on the integrity and professionalism of the board and that is the point I was making.

If it turns out board members are breading confidentiality of what goes on in the board room then not only does it erode their credibility but also will have a detrimental effect on the trust the fan base have in them. And if there is one thing the board need to do its build trust.

The bod can't stop people speculating or thinking they are itk though. Just because people come on here saying this or that doesn't mean a thing especially when people are coming out with a different name every two mins. We've had rice, Murray, miller,mcglynn and the boy Murphy at Annan being cited as primary targets on here. If leaks were the case you'd be getting the name of the manager in your daily newspaper never mind in here. They also can't control the other side leaking info either. So if someone says I heard it from a friend of Murray's whether that is correct or not isn't the bods fault.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

24 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Do you have any evidence of this confidential information being leaked from within the BOD, I’ve honestly heard nothing other than rumour or opinion on here, even at that I’ve not read anything where somebody has claimed to be 100% ITK but fans are surely allowed to speculate and discuss? Is that not the point of an online forum? One of the things I’ve liked about the new BOD is that it appears a very tight ship with nothing leaking out until it actually becomes official (look at the MR appointment as an example, absolutely nobody seen it coming or predicted it) and they announce something. Who specifically on our board do you think is leaking confidential info? Could you show me your evidence for this please? 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

16 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Where are the leaks? If this was the previous regime we would have know long ago who the new manager was going to be. I remember when sheerin got the gig it was in the papers about 10 days before the announcement. 
You be are having another fucking shocker mate. 

36 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

To be fair, he did take RR to their first season finishing above FFC in a long while. 

His RR record is in the third tier 3rd 3rd 1st. In the 2nd tier is 7th, 2nd, 7th. Then he had his 10th with Hearts in the top flight, then 6th in the second flight with the Launderers.

After that, he did scouting for Celtic before going back to RR in 2018. From there, he finished 3rd in the third tier, then the awarded COVID season.

Hmmmm, interesting seeing those stats in black n white....... they're not really all that clever, although since coming back to us from Celtic his style of play has certainly been a lot better than his first stint.

This week will tell one way or the other if he stays with us or goes

35 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Where are the leaks? If this was the previous regime we would have know long ago who the new manager was going to be. I remember when sheerin got the gig it was in the papers about 10 days before the announcement. 

The guy’s an idiot.

Strange as he seems to be of a reasonable age where he should know better.

10 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah although certainly the fact that Morton probably wouldn't exist without these fans buying into it probably helped boost their numbers.  Fans always tend to come out in numbers when clubs are facing disaster or of course doing very well. We currently have a malaise about our club caused by previous boards eagerness to take the supporters for granted.  We need to hope that a new manager and some encouraging signings will change that and hopefully a publicity drive by the fss at season ticket time with membership forms in the season ticket pack etc will help encourage others to join up .

Eh - naw they dinnae.

6B5A79D8-99EA-462D-B27F-7F236CFC88A5.jpeg

I really wish that posters stopped just making up posts and implied "inside knowledge " Okay it does build up a bit of controversy but come on. We are a group of 30 or 40 fans who love our club but have little idea about the new machine ( apart from BPM probably) and I think people think of likely targets and get a wee bit ahead of themselves. Please stop

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Its what's being said on the forum. Either there is a leak from the board or there are bullshitters saying we are going for McGynn its one or the other.

Goodness knows what Raith make of it and not a good to go about your business.

2 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

I really wish that posters stopped just making up posts and implied "inside knowledge " Okay it does build up a bit of controversy but come on. We are a group of 30 or 40 fans who love our club but have little idea about the new machine ( apart from BPM probably) and I think people think of likely targets and get a wee bit ahead of themselves. Please stop

That's the point I'm making. To imply that the board do not do their business in a professional and confidential manner damages the club. If it is true they are doing this then we have another shower of chancers on our hands. 

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Its what's being said on the forum. Either there is a leak from the board or there are bullshitters saying we are going for McGynn its one or the other.

Goodness knows what Raith make of it and not a good to go about your business.

For the final time and I don’t know how many times SD has told you, that’s what forums are for. Speculation, rumours, wishes, they’re all in the mix. If you look at our case there are only a few possibilities and it’s therefore only natural that those names get brought up.

To the best of my knowledge, there have been no leaks from the board. That’s all that I can say but maybe others know different. 

12 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

You won’t want to hear what I’ve just been told about Dwight Yorke then…