The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Failure to strengthen the midfield was a disaster but LG really should have been capable of contributing far more in this league.

I said back then that when the prop shaft in your car is broken, fitting a much more expensive engine up front just isn’t going to fix anything.

5 hours ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Henderson completes his hat-trick for Alloa.  Alloa signed Henderson on the same day we signed Ruth.  Thats his 12 goal of the season.  Ruth  is.........

Babe Ruth was streets ahead of 500 on the gate fat bastart Griffiths

41 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I suspect you may be waiting a while.

Normally the manager tells the players after the last game if they’ll be offered a new contract, and the ones who won’t are on the release list which goes out a few days later.

This year there is no-one to make those decisions. It’ll be up to the next manager to decide if he wants to offer deals to the likes of Mutch, Telfer etc, assuming they haven’t signed for anyone else before he arrives. So until he’s in place I don’t think you’ll get much of a release list.

I guess the alternative is to put up a list of everyone who’s out of contract and add a caveat that the next manager might ask some of them to come back, but that would seem a clumsy way of doing things IMO. We’ll see in the next few days.

As much as people are baying for blood, this is pretty much the sensible approach. If we just came out with a list of names being released without any manager then it's last summer all over again and it's an excuse for the new manager if he underperforms come November.

Hopefully that means a decision is made by middle/end of May.

1 hour ago, Railway End said:

We actually won the old 2nd division in season 1974-75 but this season must go down as one of our  lowest placings in certainly the 50 years I have been following Falkirk. 

Season 1977-78 we finshed 5th in the old Second Division.  That's when there was 10 in the Premier and 14 in the First Division and 14 in the Second Division making us 29th out of 38 clubs.  Only Forfar, Queens Park, Albion Rovers, The Shire, Cowdenbeath, Stranraer, Stenny, Meadowbank and Brechin finished below us that season.  

That was our worst finish ever.  This season, finishing 28th out of 42 clubs is our second worst league finish since the club was formed.

53 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've heard a rumour that it could be James McPake but he's currently having knee surgery so that's why it's a temporary gig at the moment.

Absolutely brilliant guy, and you'll not find many people that 'buy in' to a club as much as he would, but I hope for your sake that it's absolute nonsense (which tbf, it easily could be!).

He beat Kenny Miller to the Dundee gig. If there's even a bit of truth in it, Miller must fucking hate McPake beating him to job after job!

Please god no we’ve suffered enough.

1 minute ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Please god no we’ve suffered enough.

Who are realistic names being mentioned? The likes of McIntyre that seem to be rumoured for all clubs would give me the absolute fear. I've seen McGlynn mentioned in this thread as a possibility, but who else?

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Who are realistic names being mentioned? The likes of McIntyre that seem to be rumoured for all clubs would give me the absolute fear. I've seen McGlynn mentioned in this thread as a possibility, but who else?

Ian Murray if Airdrie don’t go up.

Just now, Gaz said:

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

But that would mean 3-4 weeks without a manager then a hunt for a 2nd choice if Airdrie get promoted.

Deja Vu 

So its a no to Murray we need a manager next week lot of work to do and not a lot of time to do it. We have signed players before when a manager was not in place and it ended badly.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ian Murray, Tommy Wright, McGlynn, McIntyre, Alan Johnstone have all been speculated on. Even Jack Ross has been touted by some slightly deluded fans 

2 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Ian Murray, Tommy Wright, McGlynn, McIntyre, Alan Johnstone have all been speculated on. Even Jack Ross has been touted by some slightly deluded fans 

We're heavily talking about Jack Ross too and some are even suggesting that that's unrealistic!

Bit of a drop for Tommy Wright. McIntyre would be worse than McPake, but genuinely just a horrific choice! Johnstone seems far from inspiring.

That leaves Murray and McGlynn which seems unlikely if Raith have any intention of keeping him!

Could Kevin Thomson be an option? Or is that unrealistic at this point?!

10 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

But that would mean 3-4 weeks without a manager then a hunt for a 2nd choice if Airdrie get promoted.

Deja Vu 

So its a no to Murray we need a manager next week lot of work to do and not a lot of time to do it. We have signed players before when a manager was not in place and it ended badly.

As unlikely as I think it is, it is possible that Airdrie's season could be over a week today. Failing that, two weeks tomorrow. Waiting an extra 15 days to get our no.1 target is not unreasonable.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

Just watched an interview with the Gillingham manager - “We have 7 players under contract, none of them will be here next season…the standards at this club are a disgrace”

Exactly the attitude we need instead of “the boys gave everything” and the “but they have contracts”. Get them to f**k. 

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Will it not just be their 4th season?

4th season yes, the first season I actually think we’d have went on to win that league or at worst go up via the play off. The covid season being called early really wasn’t t kind on us. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.